Epistane and drug testing

zhrutland

Awards
I asked the NCAA about taking Epistane and this was the response:

"Epistane by IBE Nutrition (2,3a-Epithio-17a-methyletioallo cholan-17b-ol 10 mg) is banned by the NCAA. Dietary supplements that are sold over the counter and through the internet are poorly regulated by the USFDA. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the product’s purity or safety. Impure supplements can cause a positive drug test under the NCAA drug testing program. Athletes are advised that the use of dietary supplements is at the user’s own risk. The list of ingredients and claims made by a manufacturer are not necessarily backed up by reliable, scientific research. The REC DOES NOT recommend the use of any dietary supplement, please direct all dietary supplement questions to the REC.

This product is marketed as an anti-estrogen product; anti-estrogen products are banned by the NCAA. Many people that take anti-estrogen drugs do so to off-set the side effects of steroids (i.e. Men developing breast)."

What I want to know is can they actually test for this in a urine test? And if so, how long will "bad ingredient" stay in my body.

gelin

Awards
If you want to know if you can get away with using it, I don't think there is a definite yes-no answer at this point. Certainly epi has a short half life, so it's not going to stick around too long, unlike long test esters etc...

I think that it would initially be your T levels, rather than epi itself that might raise flags. Then they'd probably run secondary analysis on your sample looking for AAS. I haven't heard of epi being specifically targeted in urine tests; certainly it isn't beyond the realm of science, but I don't think there is a specific test in use atm. Still, you potentially run the risk of testing positive due to various metabolites present.

Btw, the broad "and related compounds" language in the NCAA banned drug list appears under both AAS and anti-estrogen drug categories, so theoretically they have two bases for banning epi.

zhrutland

Awards
Do you have experience with the NCAA or the drug testing first hand or something? Just curious. You sound like you know what your talking about. I just find it amazing how many football players and other athletes that do prohormones and steriods and smoke weed all the time and I don't know a single person from any D1 university like mine to ever get caught.

gelin

Awards
No firsthand exposure... I've never been drug tested in my life :) My experience - and I'm definitely no expert on any of this - came through a friend's saga. He must have had the world's fastest metabolism because he had miraculously passed test after test that he should have failed on the basis of numerous performance and recreational compounds. Of course one day his luck ran out. I was in law school at the time so I did my meager best to interpret things and help him raise questions about the testing procedure / chain of custody issues ... what to say and how to deal with secondary testing.
cheers

zhrutland

Awards
Oh I see. Do you mind saying what substance the test finally ended up catching? I sware guys smoke weed the day before tests.

gelin

Awards
Oh yeah, it was weed. His T ratio also looked very bad on the first test, but nothing was said after the follow up test wrt it, so he somehow got away with it (he was a wrestler on a cutting cycle... winny-deca, IIRC). He was stupid about the drug test too, due to his previous success. He had received an email that morning tipping him that the testers would be coming by and he didn't make any last minute efforts...

The positive pot test cost him close to $15K to fight but he ultimately prevailed and all actions were dropped.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
What I want to know is can they actually test for this in a urine test?
They CAN certainly test for it...they know what it is obviously and have a sample, so that gives them the ability to see it....now, do I think they ARE testing for it? Absolutely not.

holy

zhrutland

Awards
Yeah they tell us about 24 hours before every test. But I just don't know enough about the compounds and the science to konw enough about the testing.

zhrutland

Awards
Any idea how long this will stay in my system?

gelin

Awards
They CAN certainly test for it...they know what it is obviously and have a sample, so that gives them the ability to see it....now, do I think they ARE testing for it? Absolutely not.

holy
Certainly the science exists to test for it - there is nothing at all that is intrinsically hard about it - but I haven't heard of a specific metabolite that they use in any test for epi. If you have read differently, I'd be interested in hearing more.

I would anticipate however, that WADA would add it to its list of banned drugs within the next year (the list is readily available online), and at that point a test would be commonly available (probably developed by the certified Olympic doping lab at UCLA). Generally, until there is a financial incentive to develop a test for a substance, no lab is going to spend time researching and developing one. I'd expect grants for testing for SD and Epi to be issued soon though.

ed - zhrutland, this isn't much to go on but according to the charts on AM and other sites, epi has a short half-life (~6 hours). That suggests that it probably isn't going to be detectable for a long period of time. That said, some chems stay in the system a long time though and half-life kinetics aren't always the entire story (Deca, for instance). No idea how whether trace amounts of epi are stored in the body's fat for extremely long periods. cheers.

purelife1

this would be nice to know exact how long is detactable in urine...just as a side note i have personally passed a federal steroid tests after taking h-drol(the night before)...so dont even know what exactly they look for..currently im using hemabolin but not due for any drug tests or i could tell you if they find the epi or not

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Certainly the science exists to test for it - there is nothing at all that is intrinsically hard about it - but I haven't heard of a specific metabolite that they use in any test for epi. If you have read differently, I'd be interested in hearing more.

No, I know nothing beyond what you have written...

holy

zhrutland

Awards
my trainer said something about how they can test for anti-estrogens in general. could that be true?

TheHunter516

TheHunter516

Awards
would they be able to pick up epi say on a hair sample test performed by law enforcement agencies prior to hire?