Emblica Officinalis - Capros®

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Emblica Officinalis - Capros®

I saw that Scivation is going to feature Capros®, an extract of Emblica officinalis licensed by Natreon, in there new pre-workout, Quake 10.0. Having little to no experience with the ingredient, I wanted to do a bit of research and see what potential Emblica officinalis has. It looks promising to me! Most people are familiar with the BCAAs, L-citrulline, Tyrosine, PeakO2 and NO3-T arginine nitrate, however Capros® may be a bit less recognized in the bodybuilding community. I was unaware until a bit more research that Primaforce sells bulk Capros® already.

Emblica Officinalis, also known as Indian Gooseberry/Amla, is an Ayurveda herb that shows promise for its effect on blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides. What I found interesting was its potential to act as a nootropic and enhance nitric oxide formation . Although the effects on cholesterol and triglycerides are welcome, the later effects are probably why this ingredient has found its way into Quake.

Effects

Blood Glucose/Cholesterol

It’s great when we have literature to support an ergogen in healthy subjects. Researchers have found that Amla fruit is able to reduce fasting blood sugar and 2-h post-prandial blood glucose levels. Along with these effects, the same study found significant improved HDL cholesterol and lowered LDL. [1]

Nootropic

Pre-workout users are often looking for a quick energy rush that can help them push through a grueling workout. A recent trend in the supplement industry has been the use of Nootropics alongside stimulants. Cognitive enhancement to aid in concentration that’s independent of caffeine. Does Emblica officinalis assist with cognitive function? Preliminary research on mice suggests it has the potential.

Mice were administered Scopolamine to induce amnesia. Emblica officinalis was administered in doses of 150, 300, 450 and 600 mg kg for seven days. The effects that Emblica officinalis had were phenomenal - amnesia induced by scopolamine was reversed and oxidative stress was reduced. Scopolamine also caused a rise in brain acetyl cholinesterase. Emblica officinalis at 300, 450 and 600mg/kg was able reverse the unwanted rise in acetyl cholinesterase. The researchers concluded the following:

“These results suggest that EO possesses memory enhancing, antioxidant and anti-cholinesterase activity. It may be useful for the treatment of cognitive impairments induced by cholinergic dysfunction. Its potential in the management of dementia and Azheimer disease needs to be further explored.” [2]

More research has shown its potential to enhance memory. Mice were orally given 3 doses of Anwala churna (Emblica officinalis) at 50, 100 and 200mg/kg for fifteen days - They were also given amnesia inducing agents.

“Anwala churna (50, 100 and 200 mg/kg, p.o.) produced a dose-dependent improvement in memory scores of young and aged mice… interestingly, brain cholinesterase activity and total cholesterol levels were reduced by Anwala churna administered orally for 15 days. Anwala churna may prove to be a useful remedy for the management of Alzheimer's disease on account of its multifarious beneficial effects such as, memory improving property, cholesterol lowering property and anticholinesterase activity.” [3]

Nitric Oxide

Interestingly enough, this compound may increase pumps during your workout. We’re aware of its cardiotonic effects, as noted above in the study that shows improved HDL cholesterol and lowered LDL. In a study looking at Emblica officinalis (as Capros®) impact on endothelial dysfunction (administered to type 2 diabetes patients at 250mg twice daily), nitric oxide levels were increased 43.13%! Granted, this research was done on diabetics, so take it with a grain of salt, however still good info. Scivation is using 500 – 1000mg depending on serving size, so it’s clear they’re not skimping! [4]

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21495900
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23033650
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17343883
[4] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3735284/

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is definitely interesting compound.
According to Natreon (well known for Sensoril-Ashwagandha and PrimaVie-Shilajit)it Supports healthy endothelial function, healthy cholesterol, healthy platelet aggregation, healthy blood glucose levels and It has other health benefits.

Quake will definitely be good stuff

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for sharing. May have to check this out.

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the write up. I can't wait for quake!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was gonna hop on the Quake train. Thanks for posting this. Saves me the energy/time to look everything up.

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
Looks great! I need to use some of all the stuff i got laying around..But maybe after i will have a go at Quake 10

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hope they make a decaffeinated version of this
They are. Even with it being decaf, there is a hefty dose of Tyrosine in there so should still have a nice feel-good effect

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Capros has been in Nimbus Nutrition "Cadence" for a long time. I use it for cholesterol effects.

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I was gonna hop on the Quake train. Thanks for posting this. Saves me the energy/time to look everything up.
Yup quake will be my go to no matter how many pres I have.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nimbus Nutrition actually has a sale on their product "Cadence" which contains Capros. Insanely cheap too, as they're clearing stock! I thought I'd mention it for anyone keen.