EliteFTS Micro mini band

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I am kind of confused in regards to the band tension for these bands. It says 53.8lb of tension at 84 inches for 2 bands, I'm assuming you have to double wrap it to get 53.8lb of tension on 1 side. So if you double wrap each side with these bands, I am assuming about a 100lbs of tension on lockout?
These are the bands I am talking about.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
First, those are minibands - micro minis are their smallest offerings, the little tiny orange ones.

The red minibands you listed here, will have a total combined tension on benchpress around 88lbs at the top if you double them (both sides going under a peg and over a barbell). When we bench against bands, it’s most common to double them - this also produces a very aggressive amount of tension that is very steady through the lift. It will be lighter at the bottom but you absolutely have a greater load than just the bar weight at your chest.

For squatting or overhead pressing, you will not be able to double the bands due to height. Depending a little on how you choke them and mainly on the peak height of the barbell will determine the top tension for a pair, but in general there will a big deload in tension at the bottom of a squat. Overhead press will be smoother. Those chart values are for a pair, one on each side of the bar.

So at 84 inches off the ground, a pair of red minis will add ~54lbs total for the pair. If you wanted around 100lbs, using 2 minis per side would give you ~108lbs, or you could go lighter and use one green monstermini per side instead for ~91lbs top tension. Or one red mini & two micros per side for ~104lbs.

If pressing, most people don’t need more than some combination of a pair of micros, minis, and monsters. Having a pair of each can be combined to add a LOT of tension on bench or overhead work. If squatting, you will probably need a pair of the big orange Light Bands. Serious powerlifters will use a combination of the orange Light, grey Average, and blue Strong bands on squats depending on goals/needs.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First, those are minibands - micro minis are their smallest offerings, the little tiny orange ones.

The red minibands you listed here, will have a total combined tension on benchpress around 88lbs at the top if you double them (both sides going under a peg and over a barbell). When we bench against bands, it’s most common to double them - this also produces a very aggressive amount of tension that is very steady through the lift. It will be lighter at the bottom but you absolutely have a greater load than just the bar weight at your chest.

For squatting or overhead pressing, you will not be able to double the bands due to height. Depending a little on how you choke them and mainly on the peak height of the barbell will determine the top tension for a pair, but in general there will a big deload in tension at the bottom of a squat. Overhead press will be smoother. Those chart values are for a pair, one on each side of the bar.

So at 84 inches off the ground, a pair of red minis will add ~54lbs total for the pair. If you wanted around 100lbs, using 2 minis per side would give you ~108lbs, or you could go lighter and use one green monstermini per side instead for ~91lbs top tension. Or one red mini & two micros per side for ~104lbs.

If pressing, most people don’t need more than some combination of a pair of micros, minis, and monsters. Having a pair of each can be combined to add a LOT of tension on bench or overhead work. If squatting, you will probably need a pair of the big orange Light Bands. Serious powerlifters will use a combination of the orange Light, grey Average, and blue Strong bands on squats depending on goals/needs.
So I bought a pair of green monster minis for bench press. If I double each side, how much tension is at the top and at the bottom? I'm assuming 50lbs at the bottom and 100-110lb tension at the top?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So I bought a pair of green monster minis for bench press. If I double each side, how much tension is at the top and at the bottom? I'm assuming 50lbs at the bottom and 100-110lb tension at the top?
No idea; they never made a chart so if you really want to know you’ll need to pull one side up to your lockout height with a strong fish scale. Or hold it in hand and stand on a scale right next to the peg/db it’s looped under.

I can tell you it’s going to be stout; most people generally aren’t strong enough for doubled monsterminis to be a good option for speed work. You are probably looking at over 120lbs of total tension at the top with a pair and would want to be at least a 400lb raw bencher to be able to maintain good bar speed. I don’t use them and I just did 391 last comp.

Now, just as a max effort or heavy strength exercise it will be great.

You can also run them under the bench from one side to the other of the barbell, and that will be way less tension if doubling them to the floor is too much to work with.

Most people don’t worry about the actual number; it’s tension and not like lifting actual weight, so people just record their setups for logging. If you bench X against doubled monsters and later X goes up, you know you got stronger.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No idea; they never made a chart so if you really want to know you’ll need to pull one side up to your lockout height with a strong fish scale. Or hold it in hand and stand on a scale right next to the peg/db it’s looped under.

I can tell you it’s going to be stout; most people generally aren’t strong enough for doubled monsterminis to be a good option for speed work. You are probably looking at over 120lbs of total tension at the top with a pair and would want to be at least a 400lb raw bencher to be able to maintain good bar speed. I don’t use them and I just did 391 last comp.

Now, just as a max effort or heavy strength exercise it will be great.

You can also run them under the bench from one side to the other of the barbell, and that will be way less tension if doubling them to the floor is too much to work with.

Most people don’t worry about the actual number; it’s tension and not like lifting actual weight, so people just record their setups for logging. If you bench X against doubled monsters and later X goes up, you know you got stronger.
yea I'm not really doing it for speed work, I'm limited on equipment at my house when I want to do chest. The bar I have is basically a mini olympic barbell so the sleeves are too short for me to stack up weights unless I get a bunch of 45s. But those **** are too expensive right now and I'm limited with space at my apartment, so I need to find a way to increase weight/tension when I want to bench at home.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yea I'm not really doing it for speed work, I'm limited on equipment at my house when I want to do chest. The bar I have is basically a mini olympic barbell so the sleeves are too short for me to stack up weights unless I get a bunch of 45s. But those **** are too expensive right now and I'm limited with space at my apartment, so I need to find a way to increase weight/tension when I want to bench at home.
You probably picked the perfect bands then honestly. Those and the bar alone will be probably worth 165 at the top.

Make sure to warm up with 45-95lbs first before loading the doubled monsters onto the empty bar.

You want to get the bands on ASAP and then work the straight weight from there.

50Magnum

50Magnum

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You probably picked the perfect bands then honestly. Those and the bar alone will be probably worth 165 at the top.

Make sure to warm up with 45-95lbs first before loading the doubled monsters onto the empty bar.

You want to get the bands on ASAP and then work the straight weight from there.
Yea thats what I am going to do