Elbow sleeves for benching?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My elbows started to hurt when I do heavy benching and I seen some of the big lifters use elbow sleeves/braces, do you guys use any you can recommend?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I currently use sling shot compression cuffs but there are plenty of good brands.

If you have issues now then start wearing them ASAP. It also helps to grab a band and do band resisted push downs before bench and other pressing movements. At least that’s what helps me

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My elbows started to hurt when I do heavy benching and I seen some of the big lifters use elbow sleeves/braces, do you guys use any you can recommend?
I bought a couple of elbow sleeves a few years ago from underamor works great

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks guys.

Btw do you guys use wrist wraps?

My wrists haven’t bothered me but someone recommended me to use that, along with the elbow sleeves

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys.

My wrists haven’t bothered me but someone recommended me to use that, along with the elbow sleeves
Not anymore. Mainly just on things like rack pulls and the such. Other than that not really.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys.

I use wrist wraps for any pressing that i go somewhat heavy on. Ive had carpal tunnel pretty bad and that doesnt help things out but when i start putting a couple hundred pounds in my hands it hurts. So thats why i started wearing those

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
These are what I have and I love them - wayyy better than the old slingshot cuffs or ply sleeves I’ve used. They also have 7mm red sleeves if you want more performance increase, but the 5mm black ones are great for compression and warmth:

https://us.cerberus-strength.com/collections/elbow-sleeves/products/5mm-power-elbow-sleeves

Use code KITE10 for 10% anything from them if you pull the trigger, or keep your eye out for an occasional 15-20% off holiday sale! These are better than Rehband honestly and much more affordable than them or SBD.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
These are what I have and I love them - wayyy better than the old slingshot cuffs or ply sleeves I’ve used. They also have 7mm red sleeves if you want more performance increase, but the 5mm black ones are great for compression and warmth:

https://us.cerberus-strength.com/collections/elbow-sleeves/products/5mm-power-elbow-sleeves

Use code KITE10 for 10% anything from them if you pull the trigger, or keep your eye out for an occasional 15-20% off holiday sale! These are better than Rehband honestly and much more affordable than them or SBD.
Thanks, I already got some, they work fine but I might need to get some that’s tighter, I get these when those I have lose tightness.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks, I already got some, they work fine but I might need to get some that’s tighter, I get these when those I have lose tightness.
If you just got them many company’s will work with you on size exchanges - just email their customer service and offer to pay the shipping to return the (clean) product.

I have had bought the wrong size about half the time with equipment, even using their sizing charts!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I normally buy the under armor ones. They last a few months at a time

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I normally buy the under armor ones. They last a few months at a time
Idk what you’re paying for them, but a few months is terrible. If you aren’t getting over a year out of your sleeves with weekly use, and they’re not free for you, you are probably getting ripped off in the long run.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Idk what you’re paying for them, but a few months is terrible. If you aren’t getting over a year out of your sleeves with weekly use, and they’re not free for you, you are probably getting ripped off in the long run.
$9 for 1, and I only use them on heavy days and in the winter months. I have had my pair for over a year but to say its doing anything but keeping my elbow warm in the winter by now I would be lying there is no compression in them anymore

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
$9 for 1, and I only use them on heavy days and in the winter months. I have had my pair for over a year but to say its doing anything but keeping my elbow warm in the winter by now I would be lying there is no compression in them anymore
So $18/pair - if you use 2, you can get Nordic Lifting shipped from Amazon for $35, which seems to be about the cheapest sleeves with good reviews anywhere.

Gravitygames2

Gravitygames2

Awards
You dont need them... focuse on the wrist. If your elbows hurting its pro tendonitis and you need rest. Bad spot to stop blood flow. Wrist can handle it , but you choke off inside of you biceps it will be worse. Tuffen up get some chalk and dig in raw!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You dont need them... focuse on the wrist. If your elbows hurting its pro tendonitis and you need rest. Bad spot to stop blood flow. Wrist can handle it , but you choke off inside of you biceps it will be worse. Tuffen up get some chalk and dig in raw!
If you’re losing blood flow with a sleeve you ordered the wrong size - the entire point of the sleeve is to help keep blood and heat around the joint. It’s not a wrap, it’s warmth and slight compression.

Gravitygames2

Gravitygames2

Awards
Thoes things are junk k either to loose or to tight ok i know

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I got the wrist wraps but I don’t really feel a difference and the elbow sleeves do little to the pain but feels better than without. It seems to be my grip (I think) that’s causing the pain, the tension in my elbow is less with a “false grip”, but I’m not really confident in that grip with heavy bench and heavy pulling doesn’t work out very well either with only the fingers, it’s actually the pulling that’s the worst on my elbow pain.

Idk, I guess I have to suck it up and hope for the best :(

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thoes things are junk k either to loose or to tight ok i know
Oh, my bad, I didn’t realize you knew everything. Excuse me while I throw out all of my gym gear.

I got the wrist wraps but I don’t really feel a difference and the elbow sleeves do little to the pain but feels better than without. It seems to be my grip (I think) that’s causing the pain, the tension in my elbow is less with a “false grip”, but I’m not really confident in that grip with heavy bench and heavy pulling doesn’t work out very well either with only the fingers, it’s actually the pulling that’s the worst on my elbow pain.

Idk, I guess I have to suck it up and hope for the best :(
Have you tried pulling with regular or figure 8 straps? Sometimes using my forearms heavily in training can flare up some tendinitis, mainly bb/Pendlay rowing and pull-ups that will do it.

Also, and this will only mask the issue (NOT a permanent fix), using some capsaicin-based hot cream, like Blue Heat or Equiblock over the area will distract you from the elbow pain (because your skin will be burning). Pulling a neoprene sleeve over the joint will literally get your elbow so hot as you sweat and the cream soaks into your pores that you will have to take the sleeve off.

Turmeric is a useful anti-inflammatory and health sup you could look into as well.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, my bad, I didn’t realize you knew everything. Excuse me while I throw out all of my gym gear.
Bro,

THROW
IT
ALL
OUT!

Blacktail70

Awards
I purchased one called venom and tried it tonight and it really really helped!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Have you tried pulling with regular or figure 8 straps? Sometimes using my forearms heavily in training can flare up some tendinitis, mainly bb/Pendlay rowing and pull-ups that will do it.

Also, and this will only mask the issue (NOT a permanent fix), using some capsaicin-based hot cream, like Blue Heat or Equiblock over the area will distract you from the elbow pain (because your skin will be burning). Pulling a neoprene sleeve over the joint will literally get your elbow so hot as you sweat and the cream soaks into your pores that you will have to take the sleeve off.

Turmeric is a useful anti-inflammatory and health sup you could look into as well.
I tried straps before but with no luck :( Today I was trying pull-ups and my elbows hurt so bad I had to stop... biceps and other pulls I went light, deadlifts was the only thing I could go heavy on without pain... it’s annoying and sad... :(

Gonna go and see my Chiropractor next week and see what he says, wish my luck.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I tried straps before but with no luck :( Today I was trying pull-ups and my elbows hurt so bad I had to stop... biceps and other pulls I went light, deadlifts was the only thing I could go heavy on without pain... it’s annoying and sad... :(

Gonna go and see my Chiropractor next week and see what he says, wish my luck.
That’s a good plan - you will get it sorted out. Focus on pushing what you can and you will make gains.