Elbow angle on close grip bench?

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you guys keep your elbows completely tucked or medium flair like when you normally bench?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I tuck my elbows in as close as I comfortably can.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Which one is more comfortable for you?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Close to parallel to your body. Close grip is hard on your shoulders if you flare.

Fwiw, I only do close grip with elbows in when I bench. Over time, your close grip can nearly catch up to your regular bench press if you work it hard.

B

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Which one is more comfortable for you?
Me? I’m way stronger if I press the same way I normally press for bench than completely tucked. Idk, I think going to change it and press with tucked for awhile.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I tuck mine in, I also used to think the closer the grip the better for targeting the tris but renshaw posted some good stuff on this and hand shoulder width with allows ticked is apparently more optimal

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you have a hex bar you can do close grip bench with a hammer grip so that the movement feels more natural.

Or you could use dumbbells.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I usually go a little closer to the body than 45 degrees. I usually don't use barbells for pushing due to getting my left arm destroyed in a car crash, but I find that they don't aggravate my shoulders as much when I do my CGBP on slight to moderate incline.

I'll second what others have said about close grip quickly building up close to your regular grip max. I remember Dave Tate and Louis Simmons both saying to always start with a closer grip, even for regular bench work, because you can always widen your grip and recruit a little more pec as your triceps start to go. It's been true in my experience.