Eggs whites post workout

Stopstalking2

Stopstalking2

Awards
I always mix my post workout whey isolate (isomorph 28 from APS) with 8oz egg white.

do the egg whites effect the quick digestion of the whey ?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No, but uncooked egg whites actually have pretty low bioavailability. If you are getting them in a carton (not straining your own eggs) they’re pasteurized so they’re safe to drink routinely, but you’re not actually getting all of the protein the label would indicate.

Stopstalking2

Stopstalking2

Awards
thanks for being helpful idiot.
No, but uncooked egg whites actually have pretty low bioavailability. If you are getting them in a carton (not straining your own eggs) they’re pasteurized so they’re safe to drink routinely, but you’re not actually getting all of the protein the label would indicate.

I did not know this. I get them from muscle eggs buy them by the gallon

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I wonder what is lost the pasturization process of egg whites. no it won't slow down other proteins, but it is supposed to deplete biotin. and yolks have biotin. I'd suggest switching to whole eggs and use the yolk.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
thanks for being helpful idiot.

I never heard of this muscle eggs brand, but I love that they have whole egg powder. Can the whole egg and white powders be eaten just as is like a protein shake?

SBH

SBH

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You can just crack whole eggs into your post workout shake. Jussayn

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
True but whole eggs are a more complete protein. Would be a problem when cutting I suppose.
You want to avoid fat into pre and post workout meals at all cost. It needs to be absorbed asap and there’s no need for fat in there. It’s actually very detrimental to the whole idea of a post and pre workout meal.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You want to avoid fat into pre and post workout meals at all cost. It needs to be absorbed asap and there’s no need for fat in there. It’s actually very detrimental to the whole idea of a post and pre workout meal.
This👆

Im sure someone will argue against it and bring up some study but there's a reason every high level successful bodybuilder avoids fat around the workouts, it's counter productive. Especially if your on gear. Peri workout nutrition, especially with insulin response becomes more important on gear.

SBH

SBH

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, I stepped out of my lane. My goals are far different from bodybuilders. Eggs white still suck tho. :D

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They make a delicious product, had them at many expos, but it’s just not optimal. They’re taking advantage of the average lifter’s knowledge that egg protein is a tremendously bioavailability and quality protein source - but not everyone knows they must be cooked. Also, if you begin to overcook and burn the eggs the protein begins to degrade and amino content availability reverses backwards again. So don’t cook them into oblivion; just turn them white.

Google it and you’ll find the studies right away.

I believe any cooking/heating improves availability, so pasteurization may truly be better than clear from the shell, but the study didn’t test pasteurized wipes, only raw egg white.

I wonder what is lost the pasturization process of egg whites. no it won't slow down other proteins, but it is supposed to deplete biotin. and yolks have biotin. I'd suggest switching to whole eggs and use the yolk.
Egg whites alone will indeed lower biotin, but a biotin supplement is like $3 on Swanson or similar, so if they’re a staple of the diet it’s easy to prevent biotin deficiency.

Compare that to the huge quantities of cholesterol (and calories) a normal lifter will consume just eating a traditional 5-6 egg meal once a day, and it may not be the right fit for everyone.

Whole eggs routinely in my diet do a serious number on my LDL, which I can’t afford in conjunction with my AAS use.

I never heard of this muscle eggs brand, but I love that they have whole egg powder. Can the whole egg and white powders be eaten just as is like a protein shake?
Whole egg powder has been cooked, and an awesome source of protein if you digest it well.

True but whole eggs are a more complete protein. Would be a problem when cutting I suppose.
All of the protein effectively comes from the white; you don’t need the yolk for anything but the fat and micronutrients.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They make a delicious product, had them at many expos, but it’s just not optimal. They’re taking advantage of the average lifter’s knowledge that egg protein is a tremendously bioavailability and quality protein source - but not everyone knows they must be cooked. Also, if you begin to overcook and burn the eggs the protein begins to degrade and amino content availability reverses backwards again. So don’t cook them into oblivion; just turn them white.

Google it and you’ll find the studies right away.

I believe any cooking/heating improves availability, so pasteurization may truly be better than clear from the shell, but the study didn’t test pasteurized wipes, only raw egg white.

Egg whites alone will indeed lower biotin, but a biotin supplement is like $3 on Swanson or similar, so if they’re a staple of the diet it’s easy to prevent biotin deficiency.

Compare that to the huge quantities of cholesterol (and calories) a normal lifter will consume just eating a traditional 5-6 egg meal once a day, and it may not be the right fit for everyone.

Whole eggs routinely in my diet do a serious number on my LDL, which I can’t afford in conjunction with my AAS use.

Whole egg powder has been cooked, and an awesome source of protein if you digest it well.

All of the protein effectively comes from the white; you don’t need the yolk for anything but the fat and micronutrients.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I went down a whole rabbit hole with egg whites some years back. When I met my wife she was doing a half pint (25g) egg whites and a scoop of Quest protein post workout. Protein powder mixed with cold egg whites gives a nice, thick cool custard-like drink and it’s pretty great after a grueling workout. And it was cheaper than 2 scoops of protein, so I started doing it. But it never digested well and got worse with time, for both of us, which led to reading a bit on it.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also raw egg whites contains a protein thats called Avidin and it bind to Biotin and prevents absorption. So another reason to dump eating it raw altogether.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't think this part is true...quick Google searches confirm the yolk has just as much protein as the white...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don't think this part is true...quick Google searches confirm the yolk has just as much protein as the white...
The amino acid profile is complete though; this remark was in reference to needing the yolk. You do not need the yolk for the high protein bioavailability of cooked egg white.

Sorry if that was equally misleading.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Egg yolks are a big source of lecithin and lecithin keeps fat moving through your system instead of depositing in your arteries. Years ago, people were being told to stay away from eggs, now newer studies and research is starting to show that eggs are not only good for you, but it turns out that eggs don’t significantly raise blood cholesterol in most people. Yes, the egg yolk contains cholesterol, but it appears that consuming cholesterol in the diet doesn’t significantly increase blood cholesterol or the risk of heart disease. Newer studies show that eating eggs is associated with an increase in HDL cholesterol.

There was a 9 year study done using 461,000 over a 9 year period, ages 30-79. Results showed that daily egg consumption was associated with an 11 percent reduction in risk of developing CVD as compared to those who never or rarely consumed eggs, as well as an 18 percent lower risk of death from CVD. Daily egg consumers also had a 26 percent lower risk of hemorrhagic stroke and a 12 percent reduced risk of ischemic heart disease.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Egg yolks are a big source of lecithin and lecithin keeps fat moving through your system instead of depositing in your arteries. Years ago, people were being told to stay away from eggs, now newer studies and research is starting to show that eggs are not only good for you, but it turns out that eggs don’t significantly raise blood cholesterol in most people. Yes, the egg yolk contains cholesterol, but it appears that consuming cholesterol in the diet doesn’t significantly increase blood cholesterol or the risk of heart disease. Newer studies show that eating eggs is associated with an increase in HDL cholesterol.

There was a 9 year study done using 461,000 over a 9 year period, ages 30-79. Results showed that daily egg consumption was associated with an 11 percent reduction in risk of developing CVD as compared to those who never or rarely consumed eggs, as well as an 18 percent lower risk of death from CVD. Daily egg consumers also had a 26 percent lower risk of hemorrhagic stroke and a 12 percent reduced risk of ischemic heart disease.
This conversation is not about pro/anti-whole egg. OP was asking about egg whites.

As already stated, consuming significant fats periWO defeats the concept of periWO nutrition. You want to have a plate of eggs a couple hours preWO, you will probably have good stable fuel for training. I’ve had some great lifting a while after heavy breakfasts. But eating them postWO, we now know inhibits the acute muscle protein synthesis process.

The studies show both good and bad. There are agendas on both sides and all the info I’ve seen is totally conflicting - this is likely at least partially because people respond differently. All you need is 2 simple blood pulls to see the effects on your lipids. For me, it’s a huge increase eating a plate of eggs daily. And we do know that skewed lipids is a major risk factor for CVD.

Also, how many eggs did those people need to eat daily to be counted in that study? Was it 5,6, a dozen a day, the way guys like us would eat? Of course not. You cannot assume that because 1 is good, 12 is just as safe. Same as eating dark chocolate or glasses of wine. A lot of things have benefit at low doses and begin being detrimental at higher volume.

I think eggs are a terrific nutritional source. I give my toddler an organic, cage-free whole egg almost every day, cooked in grass-fed butter. I do not routinely eat eggs and I do not cook any of my food in butter, ever. Context.

SBH

SBH

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The amino acid profile is complete though; this remark was in reference to needing the yolk. You do not need the yolk for the high protein bioavailability of cooked egg white.

I was incorrect about it being a more complete protein. With that said, I want the biotin and choline. I have had a TBI and take huperzine a for the cholinesterase inhibitor effect. Myself, I cut carbs to keep from getting fat. I do take in more carbs during the periworkout phase but I generally eat some whole eggs in the morning.

That's why I commented about stepping out of my lane. My goal isn't to Flat out grow at this point. I want to stay close to 180 and get as strong as I can. My logs still have value for bodybuilding tho because I still do the angles to look good.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Ohhhhh, gotcha. Right on.

Reactions: SBH
Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
"Consumption of whole eggs promotes greater stimulation of postexercise muscle protein synthesis than consumption of isonitrogenous amounts of egg whites in young men"

"After exercise, participants consumed.."

I think this whole argument that egg yolks post workout would be bad is stupid and doesn't make sense

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
"Consumption of whole eggs promotes greater stimulation of postexercise muscle protein synthesis than consumption of isonitrogenous amounts of egg whites in young men"

I think this whole argument that egg yolks post workout would be bad is stupid and doesn't make sense
1. Look at the original post of this thread and consider if this is relevant to that.

2. They gave the 10 college kids each 3 scrambled eggs (18g protein, 17g fat reported), or scrambled egg whites containing an equal 18g protein but 0g fat. They pulled bloods at 3 hours post and 5 hours post and found similar leucine levels, which is great. How does that apply to us? What happens if we eat a more realistic amount, like 5-8 eggs? Will the fats climbing to 30+ grams still not affect gut motility? I mean even just the abstract results note leucine was seen present FASTER in the egg white group, which again is the point of the initial postWO “meal”.

Anyone eating a plate of scrambled egg whites post training is not waiting 5 hours to eat again. They will be eating another meal by that 3 hour mark for sure. So getting those aminos in faster from egg whites is ideal, and then you follow up with a bigger meal in a few hours.

The study is cool; it merits more relevant follow-up in my opinion, but it’s not that applicable to real lifters.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

1. Look at the original post of this thread and consider if this is relevant to that.

2. They gave the 10 college kids each 3 scrambled eggs (18g protein, 17g fat reported), or scrambled egg whites containing an equal 18g protein but 0g fat. They pulled bloods at 3 hours post and 5 hours post and found similar leucine levels, which is great. How does that apply to us? What happens if we eat a more realistic amount, like 5-8 eggs? Will the fats climbing to 30+ grams still not affect gut motility? I mean even just the abstract results note leucine was seen present FASTER in the egg white group, which again is the point of the initial postWO “meal”.

Anyone eating a plate of scrambled egg whites post training is not waiting 5 hours to eat again. They will be eating another meal by that 3 hour mark for sure. So getting those aminos in faster from egg whites is ideal, and then you follow up with a bigger meal in a few hours.

The study is cool; it merits more relevant follow-up in my opinion, but it’s not that applicable to real lifters.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm an egg goblin. I put 2 raw eggs in my post workout shake.
Might need to change your username to savage after that comment ;) I don't think I could do raw eggs but maybe some egg beaters in my post workout shake.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The importance of the post workout window has been over blown. Total daily protein amount is what really matters.
I'd say yes and no. I kinda hate the concept of rolling 24 hour clock diets. it leads to people slamming huge shakes thinking they are completing their macros. timing matters more than that.

I think there's a study that shows pwo nutrition can attenuate the need for post workout, but there's also lots to suggest you need both.

a safe assumption based on studies says both pre and post workout nutrition matters with 90 minute windows on each side:

I personally like to lift fasted for a few hours in the morning so I always go for solid post workout nutrition. sometimes I lift fed later in the day and I dont do a shake but I'll eat food.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd say yes and no. I kinda hate the concept of rolling 24 hour clock diets. it leads to people slamming huge shakes thinking they are completing their macros. timing matters more than that.

I think there's a study that shows pwo nutrition can attenuate the need for post workout, but there's also lots to suggest you need both.

a safe assumption based on studies says both pre and post workout nutrition matters with 90 minute windows on each side:

I personally like to lift fasted for a few hours in the morning so I always go for solid post workout nutrition. sometimes I lift fed later in the day and I dont do a shake but I'll eat food.
That last paper is interesting. Maybe I should make pre and post workout nutrition more important.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Maybe a mix of both egg whites and whole eggs would be superior then? Like 4 whole eggs and another 20g protein from whites?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe a mix of both egg whites and whole eggs would be superior then? Like 4 whole eggs and another 20g protein from whites?
I'd diversify. can you do milk?

raw eggs + milk actually tastes p good
raw eggs + OJ is good too

one of my favorite simple meals is 5 over medium eggs on top of 3 pieces of toast. poached is traditional. eggs Benedict of course is the actual best food in the world though.

Last edited:
GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd diversify. can you do milk?

raw eggs + milk actually tastes p good
raw eggs + OJ is good too
I'm trying to find protein that doesn't have much b12 or folate (didn't know whey was loaded with folate until recently), milk might be ok though since it's mostly casein. But over 20g protein from milk at one shot sounds like a lot...

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm trying to find protein that doesn't have much b12 or folate (didn't know whey was loaded with folate until recently), milk might be ok though since it's mostly casein. But over 20g protein from milk at one shot sounds like a lot...
all protein bars are bad that I've seen. liver king bar is kinda cool but super expensive. you should just make your own

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
all protein bars are bad that I've seen. liver king bar is kinda cool but super expensive. you should just make your own
I don't eat bars at all. Whole food only and have only recently begun using protein shakes again.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Brad Schoenfeld, author of that 2013 study, has since changed his stance on the importance of this window. Here is a 2018 paper with Alan Aragon with the more recent findings. The window is much larger than originally anticipated

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Brad Schoenfeld, author of that 2013 study, has since changed his stance on the importance of this window. Here is a 2018 paper with Alan Aragon with the more recent findings. The window is much larger than originally anticipated

over a long period of time neglecting better nutrition timing will be sub optimal. it's common sense. idk why these guys didn't find any difference in their single whey study but I can tell a difference in myself.

their method is questionable really. this study says that they made their subjects not eat for 3 hours to not confound pre and post workout nutrition. if they lifted any time early in the morning they might even be fasted. they could also pollute the data by carb loading the day before. and then finally, it's whey protein powder. can we please stop using whey powder to test this **** lol

I'll consider this study evidence that fasted lifting doesn't make you lose muscle

Last edited:
GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
over a long period of time neglecting better nutrition timing will be sub optimal. it's common sense. idk why these guys didn't find any difference in their single whey study but I can tell a difference in myself.

their method is questionable really. this study says that they made their subjects not eat for 3 hours to not confound pre and post workout nutrition. if they lifted any time early in the morning they might even be fasted. they could also pollute the data by carb loading the day before. and then finally, it's whey protein powder. can we please stop using whey powder to test this **** lol

I'll consider this study evidence that fasted lifting doesn't make you lose muscle
What's wrong with using whey in the study?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So is the current belief that egg white powder isn't bioavailable?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
idk about powder, but pasteurizing doesnt make it better than raw. they might cook the powder more?
My wife has been using Now Foods egg white powder but it only says pasteurized as well... might be worthless?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
But now you’re getting very little protein from this, just the nutritional benefits of the yolks really. Again, the egg needs to be cooked decently to reach that high bioavailability in protein.

I actually really like raw eggs blended into a protein shake, makes it like custard, or like you said with OJ is great. But it’s terrible from a protein perspective, and raw also does pose a slight bacterial risk for salmonella.

Yes if you want to eat cooked eggs post training, I would limit them to the 3 in the study that was found to be overall alright, and add more protein via cooked whites, or whey, or something else low fat. Pea, soy, you get it.

I though that it is, but I can’t substantiate that. It’s certainly a VERY different end product than pasteurized liquid egg whites.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
But now you’re getting very little protein from this, just the nutritional benefits of the yolks really. Again, the egg needs to be cooked decently to reach that high bioavailability in protein.

I actually really like raw eggs blended into a protein shake, makes it like custard, or like you said with OJ is great. But it’s terrible from a protein perspective, and raw also does pose a slight bacterial risk for salmonella.

Yes if you want to eat cooked eggs post training, I would limit them to the 3 in the study that was found to be overall alright, and add more protein via cooked whites, or whey, or something else low fat. Pea, soy, you get it.

I though that it is, but I can’t substantiate that. It’s certainly a VERY different end product than pasteurized liquid egg whites.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man we really took this one off the rails, you guys know that right?

• Haha
Reactions: SBH