Eggs - Cheap vs. Expensive Types

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do y'all eat the cheap eggs from Walmart or whatever, or Eggland's, cage free, brown, etc?

For anyone who hasn't been watching my posts the past year, I've talked about bizarre reactions to foods and such. Well, pretty sure the "better" expensive eggs have been a possible source of some of my issues oddly enough.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do y'all eat the cheap eggs from Walmart or whatever, or Eggland's, cage free, brown, etc?

For anyone who hasn't been watching my posts the past year, I've talked about bizarre reactions to foods and such. Well, pretty sure the "better" expensive eggs have been a possible source of some of my issues oddly enough.
I just use the liquid eggs honestly. It’s so much easier. When I lived in Japan, the quality of the eggs was so much better!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I use whatever is cheaper most of the time, I do try to find cheaper brands with darker yolks, but the price is not always determine a higher quality egg.

Aside from micronutrients, there's not other advantage I know of from buying a expensive egg. Also when Im using a lot of eggs in my diet it could be 6-8 or more a day. Can't afford $5 a dozen if I'm eating 3-4 dozen a week

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I use whatever is cheaper most of the time, I do try to find cheaper brands with darker yolks, but the price is not always determine a higher quality egg.

Aside from micronutrients, there's not other advantage I know of from buying a expensive egg. Also when Im using a lot of eggs in my diet it could be 6-8 or more a day. Can't afford $5 a dozen if I'm eating 3-4 dozen a week
This is what bright this up. I bought some new blue and brown eggs, much more expensive than usual, but the yolks were sooooo much darker then anything I've ever eaten. I normally have some kind of sleep issues, but this past week, my normal "symptoms" got so much worse. Last 2 days went back to my normal eggs, feel so much more relaxed and slept better. I didn't figure it out until 5 days into it and that's the only thing I changed. It's crazy.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is what bright this up. I bought some new blue and brown eggs, much more expensive than usual, but the yolks were sooooo much darker then anything I've ever eaten. I normally have some kind of sleep issues, but this past week, my normal "symptoms" got so much worse. Last 2 days went back to my normal eggs, feel so much more relaxed and slept better. I didn't figure it out until 5 days into it and that's the only thing I changed. It's crazy.
You might be sensitive to choline? I don’t know how much difference there is egg to egg, but excess acetylcholine can make it difficult to shut your mind off.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You might be sensitive to choline? I don’t know how much difference there is egg to egg, but excess acetylcholine can make it difficult to shut your mind off.
Interesting idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Battousai

Awards
I get them from local farmers, not factory farms, better quality and cheaper.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My daughter is a farmer, so farm fresh, free range for me. I has personally meet the chickens that lay my eggs !!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Home grown eggs ftw. The taste is far superior.

Tbh though, I don’t eat many eggs at all. I’d rather have a protein source with less fats so I can eat more volume.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Once you have farm fresh, the store bought just don't taste right!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Turns out my egg quality theory on my symptoms was incorrect. It's even more bizarre then that. It's scrambled vs hardboiled. I assumed it was egg quality because when I'm out for breakfast, I know places don't use the most expensive eggs but I did at home. But now I realize that when I'm out, I always get scrambled and at home always rest hardboiled. I tested this over the past few days and the biggest most easily discernable symptom is anxiety and excess energy with hardboiled, but nothing like that with scrambled. Scrambled also seem to stop me up a little as well. Unsure what mechanism this could be.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Turns out my egg quality theory on my symptoms was incorrect. It's even more bizarre then that. It's scrambled vs hardboiled. I assumed it was egg quality because when I'm out for breakfast, I know places don't use the most expensive eggs but I did at home. But now I realize that when I'm out, I always get scrambled and at home always rest hardboiled. I tested this over the past few days and the biggest most easily discernable symptom is anxiety and excess energy with hardboiled, but nothing like that with scrambled. Scrambled also seem to stop me up a little as well. Unsure what mechanism this could be.
I’m not trying to discredit your experience or sound condescending/patronizing, but do you really think scrambled vs hard boiled eggs are the cause of your anxiety?

Anxiety, and other related issues are so multifaceted that tons of reasons could be why you experience anxiety one day and not the next. It’d be news to me (and I’d imagine the scientific community) if scrambled vs hard boiled eggs were the true underlying reason behind that.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m not trying to discredit your experience or sound condescending/patronizing, but do you really think scrambled vs hard boiled eggs are the cause of your anxiety?

Anxiety, and other related issues are so multifaceted that tons of reasons could be why you experience anxiety one day and not the next. It’d be news to me (and I’d imagine the scientific community) if scrambled vs hard boiled eggs were the true underlying reason behind that.
I have anxiety to some degree no matter what, but what I'm talking about borderline delusional anxiety. I can shake off normal anxiety to some degree, but when I eat hardboiled, its on another level. Literally the same exact type of thing can happen (heart palpitations for example) in the 2 different days, and the scrambled day I will just ignore it and eventually it goes away, whereas the hardboiled day I'm ready to go to the ER. I know how this all sounds, and anyone can feel free to write it off and look no future. We think because it's not in a journal article yet that something isn't possible.

I do wonder though if there's something with the protein and how it's cooked...scrambled denatures the protein I'm sensitive to maybe. I had a food allergy test about 6 months ago, and I only had mild sensitivities to eggs, quinoa, and a couple other things. But on a range from 0-4, my sensitivity was a 1. Weird that it would cause issues.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My wife gets heart palpitations after eating eggs

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I have 4 chickens and 2 ducks who lay spring through summer. I only eat their eggs during the egg season, then store bought during the winter. We buy brown ones but I honestly don't believe in "organic" so they're likely mid priced. on top of that we buy a costco 6 pack of egg whites every sunday.

my homegrown eggs are "richer". The yoke is stronger, never breaks. It's a darker color, much darker. store bought eggs especially during the pandemic started looking like the toxic ooze from teenage mutant ninja turtles compared to mine. Mine taste better, as in... they have a taste and I didn't realize it till I went back to store bought.

that said, I do think the richness of the homegrown eggs turns my stomach in knots a bit. I typically eat breakfast about 6:30-7am and those eggs are gone by 8:30am lol. When I switched breakfast to ground turkey and grits I didn't find that issue to continue.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Straight from the farm !!

lamarclark09

Awards
I usually look for cheap ones mostly but when I feel like spending money on my healthy diet I get expensive eggs, the brown ones.