Educational Resources

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
My knowledge of nutrition is rather basic, and I would like to continue to learn. Does anyone have any recommendations for educational resources regarding nutrition - books, articles, authors, websites, etc.?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Mike Israetel has a great YouTube channel covering all kinds of stuff, including nutrition. Plenty you could learn there And he’s easy to listen to, talks like a gym bro but has a PhD.

If you can handle some heavier reading, Alan Aragon is one of the best. He has a website and a $10/month subscription for his monthly newsletter/articles. Gets pretty deep and technical, but you won’t find more credible information than what you’ll get from him.

There’s also Eric Helms and Brad Schoenfeld, both worth looking up.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
MountainDog1 (John Meadows) Youtube
3DMJ
Lyle McDonald
Layne Norton
Matt Jansen (Camp Jansen)

I would also look up --> Shelby Starnes, Jason Theobald on Instagram, they do fantastic work with clients and have some great information on contest prep & peaking

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You should first determine what you want to know more about it. As in is there a direction or particular reasoning for increased knowledge in the nutrition relm.

You will find that most of the recommendations you'll probably get here will be more focused on bodybuilding centric approaches. There is nothing wrong with that and with an actual evidence based approach the science isn't going to change for other areas, but it may not highlight areas you may have interest with.

It is good to still consider the basics and branch out from there.

If you are interested in the science and studies start with something like position stands from the ISSN: List of Position Stands

You can use that or searching other "broad" studies that give an overview on the topic, then if anything within them catches y our interest you can read the individual studies in an area.

Alternatively if that seems "heavy" the AARP suggestion above is a good one or Weightology by James Krieger (although it has quite a bit of training related info for study breakdowns as well depending on if you care about that). MASS is awesome in this regards as well, but also is more geared towards training as well and a strength athlete bias.

Considering I have similar sport performance and bodybuilding bias as well I think that the Mike Israetel suggestion is great or the Renaissance Periodization books are another good area to dive into (they have a few different from areas important to women, kids, etc.).

The Muscle and Strength Pyramid books by Eric Helms, Andy Morgan, and Andrea Valdez are pretty solid as well.

Finally, following any of the above mentioned on their websites, podcasts, or instagram (I'd toss in old forum vet here Ben Carpenter as a great follow if you do the social media thing as well) can be a good way to get little actionable tips or breakdowns at a more frequent pace too.

Good luck and understand this probably vastly undercuts the amount of good people and information out there, but can serve as a great start.

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate everyone’s time. I’ll look into all of those recommendations 👍
@Resolve10 I would say my interest probably lies in nutrition as it would pertain to physical performance, sports performance, training, etc. I guess the idea of being able to fine tune my nutrition to enhance performance and recovery and understand what’s happening on a biological level is what I’m after long term.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate everyone’s time. I’ll look into all of those recommendations 👍
@Resolve10 I would say my interest probably lies in nutrition as it would pertain to physical performance, sports performance, training, etc. I guess the idea of being able to fine tune my nutrition to enhance performance and recovery and understand what’s happening on a biological level is what I’m after long term.
Austin Stout and his YT is a goldmine. All of his Q & A's address a lot of nutrition and underlying questions which can help greatly. Just check the captions of the videos and timestamps for specific questions

Digestion:

Conteset Prep & Fatloss

Health Based:

Pitfalls of dieting strategies:

Good info on Lab Work for overall health:

Alterations in Blood Glucose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcA-zygULN0

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Look up Menno Henselmans. He’s got some good articles on his site, and he does some informative interviews and suchon YouTube, making appearances on some different podcasts. He’s somewhat guarded with his info- he makes his money as a coach and lecturer after all, so he’s not gonna just put it all out there for free but you can definitely come away with some good info if you sift through it all.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
shameless plug for superhuman radio. 2560 + shows. There's bound to be some nutritional info in there somewhere.