Eating “raw” instant oatmeal?

SlavicStrong

Awards
Anyone just open the packet of those instant Quaker Oats and just eat them without cooking them? I was thinking about doing this, seems like I could get easily calories this way. Thoughts?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Put it in a bowl some chopped fruit and milk ;)

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha, I always just put regular oats into a bowl, usually 100g, and 300g milk wirh it or sometimes water... but mostly milk.i could eat 400g of oats like this! So delicious!

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
Anyone just open the packet of those instant Quaker Oats and just eat them without cooking them? I was thinking about doing this, seems like I could get easily calories this way. Thoughts?
I’ve never eaten dry, but I’ve eaten with milk like cereal.

Instant oats are pre cooked, so they can still digest without cooking.

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
There’s only a handful of grains that are safe to eat raw. Oatmeal is one of them. Instant oats are just finely ground oats. So I powder 3 cups of oats then add 4oz broccoli sprouts or spinach, 2Tbs of honey and 3 cups of water. That’s a 1,000 cal shake. It’s very watery this way, but makes it easy to chug and the honey makes it delicious. You can add protein powder to it too if you want.

No digestion issues.

I use a 32oz nutribullet 900 series. That thing is a Haus!

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
There’s only a handful of grains that are safe to eat raw. Oatmeal is one of them. Instant oats are just finely ground oats. So I powder 3 cups of oats then add 4oz broccoli sprouts or spinach, 2Tbs of honey and 3 cups of water. That’s a 1,000 cal shake. It’s very watery this way, but makes it easy to chug and the honey makes it delicious. You can add protein powder to it too if you want.

No digestion issues.

I use a 32oz nutribullet 900 series. That thing is a Haus!
Yes^. But they’re also pre-cooked before packaging. That’s why they cook in like 3 minutes. The cellulose is already broken down during processing.

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
Indeed you are correct, I had forgot about that. I find that Instant oats cost too much. And I pay $8 for a 10lb box of Quaker oatmeal. Comes out to an extra 6300 cals a week for only about $3. I’ve been hard pressed to find anything else that healthy/ inexpensive.

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
Indeed you are correct, I had forgot about that. I find that Instant oats cost too much. And I pay $8 for a 10lb box of Quaker oatmeal. Comes out to an extra 6300 cals a week for only about $3. I’ve been hard pressed to find anything else that healthy/ inexpensive.
Haha. That’s a **** ton of oats! And true! Oats are so good for you.

SlavicStrong

Awards
I feel like I could eat the uncooked packets so easily, and therefore get more calories. This is the main reason I’m doing it. Might have like two uncooked packets with yogurt and bananas.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about picking up some Alpen cereal? (No added sugar one)

Wholegrain Wheat (42%), Wholegrain Rolled Oats (36%), Raisins (15%), Skimmed Milk Powder, Milk Whey Powder, Roasted Sliced Nuts (2.5%) (Hazelnuts, Almonds), Malted Barley Extract, Salt

Nothing in thier that would put me off it. Some honey over it and you have a very calorie dense cereal. 375kcal per 100 Gram (Alpen Only) 65G Carbs ' 6.2G Fat & 11G Protein & the sugars are all naturally occuring from the raisins etc

Just if your wanting a healthier way of getting oats in.

I have eaten just oats and milk though and just put some fruit in it and its very nice.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Lol why? Can’t just add a small amount of hot water and wait 2 mins? Eating dry oats sound gross haha dry mouth central! Pretty sure you won’t be able to cram my more in than just making a bowl up to be honest, trying to combat the dry mouth with water....

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol why? Can’t just add a small amount of hot water and wait 2 mins? Eating dry oats sound gross haha dry mouth central! Pretty sure you won’t be able to cram my more in than just making a bowl up to be honest, trying to combat the dry mouth with water....
Goes like wallpaper paste with 2 little a water lol

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
Now your just over complicating things...

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just try it with milk and a little honey.. You will be pleasantly surprised :D

SlavicStrong

Awards
Just put yogurt in a bowl, poured in some oats and mixed in cut up banana. Pretty gooooodddddd

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I have eaten uncooked oats for the same reason. It’s an easy snack while on the go. I have seen that Mike O’hearn eats oats this way

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
I literally thought you meant just eating oats out of the pack, not mixed with anything

SlavicStrong

Awards
I literally thought you meant just eating oats out of the pack, not mixed with anything
Well, I kinda meant that too, haha, but mixing it with other food seems more appetizing. I’m more than likely gonna try eating them straight out of the packet as well, and see if it’s reasonable to use as a packable snack.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure, you could do that. Many people do that with overnight oatmeal. Overnight oatmeal is a great, quick, and delicious way to eat oatmeal. I like overnight oatmeal because it takes the cooking process out. Don't get me wrong, I love cooked oatmeal, but there are times when I just want to come home and eat my oatmeal without cooking. You can add anything you want to overnight oatmeal and the longer you let it sit, the flavors mesh together more. I would not add anything crunchy or hard because it will become soggy.

Typically, I will do oatmeal, protein powder. peanut butter, and cinnamon. Add add or almond milk and let it sit for 24 hours and then when I am ready to eat it, I will add some nuts for a crunch.

With overnight oatmeal, you want to let the oatmeal sit in an air tight container so the liquid gets absorbed.

If you wanted an even quicker option, just put your packet of quick oats in a shaker and drink it or add it to a blender/food processor and make it into a powder and drink it.