dry skin from taurine?

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys,

I've recently added taurine (2g) to my stack, which is: agmatine, vit E, CoQ10, magnesium, inositol, ashwagandha, green tea extract and quercetin.

After two weeks after adding taurine I'm getting dry skin - is it a known side effect?

Thanks!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hi guys,

I've recently added taurine (2g) to my stack, which is: agmatine, vit E, CoQ10, magnesium, inositol, ashwagandha, green tea extract and quercetin.

After two weeks after adding taurine I'm getting dry skin - is it a known side effect?

Thanks!
Personally ran taurine for a while and never had an issue

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys,

Thanks!
could be a seasonal change, my skin gets drier in cooler/colder months versus the summer months.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hi guys,

Thanks!
I've been taking two grams pre-bed for the last few months and I havn't noticed any change to my skin.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
could be a seasonal change, my skin gets drier in cooler/colder months versus the summer months.
I get the same problem. If winter has suddenly hit where you are, like it has here, then it's probably this.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I get the same problem. If winter has suddenly hit where you are, like it has here, then it's probably this.
Yep that dry cold air will get to your skin :(

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've never heard of taurine causing dry skin. But as it becomes winter, your skin gets itcher. I recommend Curel Itchy Skin Body Wash. It works great to help keep your skin hydrated and keep it from getting itchy.

My skin and scalp get very itchy in the winter and it's super annoying. But that body wash really helps to keep the problem at bay.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
agreed with the masses, I've run mega doses of taurine and never had any issues... sounds seasonal :)

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
agreed with the masses, I've run mega doses of taurine and never had any issues... sounds seasonal :)
I've seen on Reddit that taurine competes with glycine, and this could cause dry skin issues in the long term.

Have you ever heard about this?

Thanks man!

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've seen on Reddit that taurine competes with glycine, and this could cause dry skin issues in the long term.

Thanks man!
If you saw it on reddit, you can pretty much dismiss it. There is so much uneducated guessing on there that you can't even call it bro-science. If you give them a connect-the-dots book, they'll draw lines to fit whatever they want to he picture to be. Even the logic that SEEMS sound on there is hardly worth investing your time into.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you saw it on reddit, you can pretty much dismiss it. There is so much uneducated guessing on there that you can't even call it bro-science. If you give them a connect-the-dots book, they'll draw lines to fit whatever they want to he picture to be. Even the logic that SEEMS sound on there is hardly worth investing your time into.
wow-al gore lied!!!

he said if it's on the internet it has to be true!!!

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I get your point, thanks man!

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I checked examine.com, and there a section on skin, but it has to do with people on radiation therapy.

According to LEF, taurine is good for the skin, and I saw a lot of topical products that had taurine as an ingredient in it.

Taurine
Skin tissue can age prematurely due to various factors—compromised skin cell barrier, insufficient hydration, ultraviolet-induced apoptosis (cell death), and free radical damage.

Glycation reactions are another problem. These occur when sugars attach themselves to the amino acids in collagen—which reduces the regenerative ability of collagen—in turn promoting wrinkles, sagging, and “creping.”

Scientists noted that the body increases levels of the amino acid taurine in tissues that suffer physical damage or trauma. This led to a fascinating discovery: taurine modulates multiple skin-damaging pathways when applied topically to the skin!7

Specifically, evidence suggests taurine repairs the skin barrier, rehydrates keratinocytes (the main cells of the upper skin layers), inhibits apoptosis, and reduces free radical damage. Taurine also offers antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-toxin benefits—protecting against premature aging and environmental toxins.7

Taurine is believed to inhibit glycation, one of the main causes of cellular aging.

However, all that information comes from a patent, and not an actual study.

I found another study showing taurine was good for skin diseases.

Bioactive Dietary Factors and Plant Extracts in Dermatology pp 83-89

Taurine (2-Aminoethanesulfonic Acid): Useful in Skin Diseases

Abstract
Taurine or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid occurs naturally in food, especially in seafood and meat. Taurine is used in topical anti-acne therapy. It was used to explore anti-tumor promoting activity in a skin carcinogenesis. It is used in skin ulcers. Due to its antioxidant and anti-apoptotic properties it exerts an antiwrinkle effect on the skin. Taurine (0.05–0.15 g/day) is effective in treating the underlying causes of psoriasis. It is also used in atopic eczema.

However, this one site mentioned a possible side effect was itching.

Possible Side Effects
Taurine may cause some side effects including itching, nausea, headache, and dizziness.

No reference is given for this, so I assume it's from anecdotal reports.

So, it sounds like it may work to help skin when applied topically. But I couldn't find anything on people having skin problems with taurine.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Thanks man!
nothing I've ever heard and anecdotally never seen... and reddit... meh haha