Dopamine precursors and tolerance

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Are there any other ways to "reset" tolerance to dopamine precursors or its effects aside from abstaining? I used to take DLPA at around 1.5 g /day and had plenty of energy, motivation, etc. Obviously the effects would not last. As I understand it, when you bombard the receptors with dopamine, the post synaptic cleft decreases density, tyrosine hydroxylase down regulates, etc. Basically the body takes measures to compensate the flooding of dopamine. Is the best thing to do just hold off these supplements for a couple weeks? And I'd imagine things like PWO's with DMAA should be put on the shelf as well?

Thanks!
Synapsin

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are there any other ways to "reset" tolerance to dopamine precursors or its effects aside from abstaining? I used to take DLPA at around 1.5 g /day and had plenty of energy, motivation, etc. Obviously the effects would not last. As I understand it, when you bombard the receptors with dopamine, the post synaptic cleft decreases density, tyrosine hydroxylase down regulates, etc. Basically the body takes measures to compensate the flooding of dopamine. Is the best thing to do just hold off these supplements for a couple weeks? And I'd imagine things like PWO's with DMAA should be put on the shelf as well?

Thanks!
Synapsin
Problem is, you can try to help by stopping products, but this is a natural process that occurs regardless of stim in take. Reducing stim in take will certainly help though. I wouldn't worry about tyrosine hydroxylase because it's not the biggest issue here (I assume this is all an attempt to naturally raise dopamine levels). The big issue in the ventral tegmental area is two fold: less dopamine d2 receptors (the density issue), and the receptors themselves release less dopamine. Example: drugs. That's why people who snort a certain drug can develop a high tolerance, and are always chasing previous highs they've achieved to no avail. You can see this quite clearly in imaging studies and the same would apply here, but to a lesser degree. DMAA works differently but could still cause an issue.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Problem is, you can try to help by stopping products, but this is a natural process that occurs regardless of stim in take. Reducing stim in take will certainly help though. I wouldn't worry about tyrosine hydroxylase because it's not the biggest issue here (I assume this is all an attempt to naturally raise dopamine levels). The big issue in the ventral tegmental area is two fold: less dopamine d2 receptors (the density issue), and the receptors themselves release less dopamine. Example: drugs. That's why people who snort a certain drug can develop a high tolerance, and are always chasing previous highs they've achieved to no avail. You can see this quite clearly in imaging studies and the same would apply here, but to a lesser degree. DMAA works differently but could still cause an issue.
Thank you for the reply!