Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You mean you don’t want your tax money going to some libiots Bachelor of Arts in underwater basket weaving degree???

The Bachelor of Arts is such a weird qualification. On one hand you have courses that seem to fit what people think of Arts being, but on the other you have Psychology, Economics, Mathematics etc.

Last edited:
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
my theory is don't sign on dotted line if you don't intend to pay back the debt....i don't expect the government to forgive my loan for the new truck i just bought.

imho, there are way too many racking up huge student loan debts and taking courses they could never earn enough to pay back.

giving students loans today kind of reminds me of the savings and loan crisis of the 80's and 90's.
How does loan student loan repayment work in the US?

Here we use a system that the loan is tied up in our IRD, and once you start earning over 19,000 p/a, you must change your tax code so that loan deductions are paid back BEFORE you ever see that money. The repayments are exponential, so the more you earn, the more you pay back each pay cycle.

It is interest free unless you leave the country. If you come back, then you are expected to pay back the interest accrued for that period.

I think it works well

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Here we use a system that the loan is tied up in our IRD, and once you start earning over 19,000 p/a, you must change your tax code so that loan deductions are paid back BEFORE you ever see that money. The repayments are exponential, so the more you earn, the more you pay back each pay cycle.

It is interest free unless you leave the country. If you come back, then you are expected to pay back the interest accrued for that period.

I think it works well
Here in the States there are several different payment plans that you are free to choose from. Some range from 5-10% of total debt/month and others are 15%-20. You are free to toggle back and forth between them. For some loans, interest compounds at a rate of 5-8+% depending on the type of loan.

One of the major factors on what youd choose as a payback plan would be if your career qualifies you for federal student loan forgiveness programs, most of which allow your loans to be forgiven once you’ve paid 20-25 years worth of payments. These programs are very difficult to not only get into but also remain in once you’re initially found to qualify.

The entire process seems far more complex than what you’ve laid out as NZ’s method. Surprise...

The actual act of having to pay back my loans (the total of which makes me very jealous of Puccah’s amount) aren’t what I have a problem with. Its the 8% compounding interest that I think is BS. The interest even compounds while youre still in school...i racked up 18k in interest alone while earning my Masters.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Here in the States there are several different payment plans that you are free to choose from. Some range from 5-10% of total debt/month and others are 15%-20. You are free to toggle back and forth between them. For some loans, interest compounds at a rate of 5-8+% depending on the type of loan.

One of the major factors on what youd choose as a payback plan would be if your career qualifies you for federal student loan forgiveness programs, most of which allow your loans to be forgiven once you’ve paid 20-25 years worth of payments. These programs are very difficult to not only get into but also remain in once you’re initially found to qualify.

The entire process seems far more complex than what you’ve laid out as NZ’s method. Surprise...

The actual act of having to pay back my loans (the total of which makes me very jealous of Puccah’s amount) aren’t what I have a problem with. Its the 8% compounding interest that I think is BS. The interest even compounds while youre still in school...i racked up 18k in interest alone while earning my Masters.
Wow, 8% interest is quite considerable.

We are interest free if you stay in the country because its supposed to incentivize staying in NZ and benefitting the economy in the long run. Given we are a small nation, it's hardly surprising that wanting to move abroad is quite appealing. It's quite common for NZers either move to Australia or the UK, so they set up this method to try ensure people want to stick around.

My guess is that a lot of US citizens stay in the US given the ample options to work among the largest businesses, so the need to incentivize staying is much lower. 8% though is quite significant, especially if that accumulates when you are still studying.

I always forget I'm paying back a loan because it adjusts to my income and just appears on my pay slip which I never check.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I think it works well
bravo

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Definitely.

Credit where it is due, and it is well deserved here.
I agree with you on that. I think I’ve been pretty verbal on my criticism of Trump, but I definitely have to give him credit for trying to get something done when congress showed nothing but ineptitude and the lack of a willingness compromise.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I think it works well
So, there are 6 or so federal plans - and I can’t speak in private plans - income driven is basically 10% of your discretionary income (wages minus 1.5x poverty level) for 20-25 years (can’t recall the exact length) and the rest gets forgiven. The revised income driven is the same but it’s 20% of discretionary income.

Standard plans are 10 years or 30 years for extended which are amortized like a normal loan. Then there are standard and extended graduated plans which are for 10 and 30 years that start small and then exponentially increase as you get closer to pay off period. Usually increases every two years.

Interest is set by federal government when you take out loans. No credit checks or anything. My interest rate averages to about 6.5%.

There are of course public forgiveness plans - so if you work as a teacher, in government, for non-profits, etc your loans will be forgiven after you make 120 payments.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I agree with you on that. I think I’ve been pretty verbal on my criticism of Trump, but I definitely have to give him credit for trying to get something done when congress showed nothing but ineptitude and the lack of a willingness compromise.
you give me props when i call trump out on stuff i don't agree with....i am giving those props back at you. (y)

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Chicago is going crazy fellas...

Looters descend on downtown Chicago; more than 100 arrested

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed and while I cannot stand the guy, this was something that had to be done. It's a bunch of children that couldn't come to an agreement because of their own selfish reasons on both sides.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Agreed and while I cannot stand the guy, this was something that had to be done. It's a bunch of children that couldn't come to an agreement because of their own selfish reasons on both sides.
Pretty much sums up exactly how I feel as well. Something needs to be done with congress. It’s absolutely unacceptable that they would just go on August recess and effectively abandon millions of people like they did. Get the f’in bill done first, then take your overpaid vacation time.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
wow...you anti-trumpers on here are getting 'woke', lol.
That (edit: last) statement I made had nothing to do with being pro vs anti Trump. I think ive also made it be known I dont like the current duopoly and mirage of freedom of choice we have. I’m a little less intense than AX, but I think 75+% of “high level” politicians are bought and paid for and have lost sight of why they got into politics in the first place.

Theyve turned it into some stupid “us vs them” game and the only people who really lose in their game is we the people.

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That statement I made had nothing to do with being pro vs anti trump - I think ive also made it be known I dont like the current duopoly and mirage of freedom of choice we have. I’m a little less intense than AX, but I think 75+% of “high level” politicians are bought and paid for and have lost sight of why they got into politics in the first place.

Theyve turned it into some stupid “us vs them” game and the only people who really lose in their game is we the people.
i agree, both sides of the aisle need to get it together and think of good of the country for a change!!!

i still give you props for approving of trumps executive order, you set a good example for open mindedness @Jiigzz also....

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree, both sides of the aisle need to get it together and think of good of the country for a change!!!

i still give you props for approving of trumps executive order, you set a good example for open mindedness @Jiigzz also....
Well, after their nice little 3 day weekend last week that must have exhausted them so good thing us tax payers get to pay another months of vacation paid for via taxes taken out of unemployment benefits!!!!

As far as NY goes, I know someone on unemployment, and they were already contacted by their system and were told they arent getting anything extra and to just hold on while they sort this out.

King Cumho already announced they cant pay that $100 out of the $400 as the state is in fact broke and its possible if the state's dont pay that the 25% the Federal government doesnt cover the $300 and its entirely forfeited, but I cant confirm that as of yet.

Alot of people in blue states may finally turn on their Demican governors if they dont get the money they need that Dump put on that order.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
at least lightfoot in chicage sounds like she is fed up...don't know what is up with wheeler in portland, that guy seems to be a little short on commonsense?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well, after their nice little 3 day weekend last week that must have exhausted them so good thing us tax payers get to pay another months of vacation paid for via taxes taken out of unemployment benefits!!!!

As far as NY goes, I know someone on unemployment, and they were already contacted by their system and were told they arent getting anything extra and to just hold on while they sort this out.

King Cumho already announced they cant pay that $100 out of the $400 as the state is in fact broke and its possible if the state's dont pay that the 25% the Federal government doesnt cover the $300 and its entirely forfeited, but I cant confirm that as of yet.

Alot of people in blue states may finally turn on their Demican governors if they dont get the money they need that Dump put on that order.
NY is broke because they ran all the wealthy people away....

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
NY is broke because they ran all the wealthy people away....
Cumho is begging them to come back and De-falsio is still stuck in the past mistakes.

NYC, the globes envy...then AOC and De-falsio come along, Amazon comes in to give the community 25,000 jobs with an overall average salary of $150,000, they were ready to crack the Champaign bottle, then they realized the terrorism the City's politicians unleash on big business and they quickly took a hike. WTTFFFF?????

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Cumho is begging them to come back and De-falsio is still stuck in the past mistakes.

NYC, the globes envy...then AOC and De-falsio come along, Amazon comes in to give the community 25,000 jobs with an overall average salary of $150,000, they were ready to crack the Champaign bottle, then they realized the terrorism the City's politicians unleash on big business and they quickly took a hike. WTTFFFF?????
if cuomo doesn't get the wealthy back you are screwed...escape from new york?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if cuomo doesn't get the wealthy back you are screwed...escape from new york?
Im trying to ride it out as much as I can I still love NY State, I live in a good place in a decent situation still but its good to have a contingency plan, Id be dumb not to lol

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Im trying to ride it out as much as I can I still love NY State, I live in a good place in a decent situation still but its good to have a contingency plan, Id be dumb not to lol
if biden wins he will bail NY out, if trump wins...run, run like hell!!!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Finally found a bottle of King Cumho prison labor hand sanitizer at a rest stop last night lol

It’s actually not that bad!

IMG_8374.JPG

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did it cost you $10?!?
Totally free, they had a table set up between the bathrooms with a large pump jug people can use and some 25 of these little bottles out. Actually, if you convert all the tax dollars that was stolen from me over the years I probably paid $6,500 for it lol Prisoners in NY arent cheap either. Plus, probably cost far more per hour to maintain them in prison than minimum wage workers get even though the prisoners probably get 10 cents/hr to work.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
and then one day you find
ten years have got behind you
no one told you when to run
you missed the starting gun....

damn, i love pink floyd!!!

Reactions: ax1
manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
What country is this?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
anyone hear about white house shooting?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
$60 million in damages during chicago rioting/looting...

'that is reparations', a BLM organizer said, 'anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance'.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

'that is reparations', a BLM organizer said, 'anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance'.
Yeah sure, State Farm was around in 1864?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was watching that live, lol

Then after that I found out 20 people were shot in DC the day before!!!!!

Defund the Police!!!! RRROOOOFFFLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
look at chicago/seatle/portland...anyone have those cities on vacation list?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Not State Farm, but many other property insurance companies.
what that blm guy needs to realize is that blacks are business/home owners also....insurance companies will pass losses on to consumers-or write it off on taxes, either way we pay...geez, that guy is lost.

Last edited:

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

That kind of BS infuriates me. Get off your fucking ass and earn your keep instead of stealing ****.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

That kind of BS infuriates me. Get off your fucking ass and earn your keep instead of stealing ****.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oh, I think it is BS what he (blm) said- I was just being an ass. You don't destroy and loot to make up for travesties that happened in the past.
look at what the indoctrination of hate has done to the middleast.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
look at chicago/seatle/portland...anyone have those cities on vacation list?
I have all of them. Seattle/Portland less about the city more about the weather and nature. Chicago is for the food and history (and definitely not the weather). Same with Boston.

I also have: Miami, Atlanta, and Nashville. Plus Grand Teton and Redwood Forest.

But next trip is NOLA, Salem, MA, and Sleepy Hollow, NY.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have all of them. Seattle/Portland less about the city more about the weather and nature. Chicago is for the food and history (and definitely not the weather). Same with Boston.

I also have: Miami, Atlanta, and Nashville. Plus Grand Teton and Redwood Forest.

But next trip is NOLA, Salem, MA, and Sleepy Hollow, NY.
Doing a spooky tour? One of my favorite cities in the world is New Orleans.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yep. And during Halloween
My wife and I spent a few days in NOLA coming back from a cruise last November and loved it. Very cool place, great food and an interesting history. We want to go back and do some more sightseeing.