Does Taurine help with sleep?

Stanfoo

Awards
Supposedly taking Taurine before bed improves sleep quality & shortens time to fall asleep, but not sure how true that is, since it's also used for increase in energy/endurance.

Anyone have any experiences with Taurine in regards to sleep?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It supposed to I might try it tonight. Taurine raises the chemical transmitter GABA, which has a calming effect on the nervous system. Taurine can lower anxiety and the production of stress hormones that hinder rest.

I can tell you gaba , and gaba and glutamine mixed work

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been taking 5grams of taurine with my zma(2/3s of a normal zma dose) same time for a long time now. I really do believe it helps me sleep. As someone who thinks critically about anything and everything, and could probably stay up all night laying in bed if I didn’t try to go to sleep, I think it works.

Helps me relax, and turn my switch off.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Supposedly taking Taurine before bed improves sleep quality & shortens time to fall asleep, but not sure how true that is, since it's also used for increase in energy/endurance.

Anyone have any experiences with Taurine in regards to sleep?
Yes, it works, for anxiety as well. I take 3 grams spread throughout the day and sometimes 2g at night. I’ve gone higher when needed though.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've heard gaba will help with sleep but haven't heard of taurine helping with sleep. Also heard phenibut reduces stress and can aid with sleep. In to see what others have to say about taurine pre bed.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've heard gaba will help with sleep but haven't heard of taurine helping with sleep. Also heard phenibut reduces stress and can aid with sleep. In to see what others have to say about taurine pre bed.
I read somewhere along the way that not only does it work on the GABA receptors, but reduces NE as well. And when i take enough, that’s exactly how it feels.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried 3 grams taurine last night. didnt work

took five grams gaba and that did the trick zzzz

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I tried 3 grams taurine last night. didnt work

took five grams gaba and that did the trick zzzz
Did you take the taurine on a completely empty stomach, like 2-3 hours after eating?