Does supplementing l-arginine have a negative effect on athletes?

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
I was wondering if taking l arginine as a supp has an effect on athletes? I have recently began taking it and noticed my legs (calves mainly) cramp alot easier and feel more stiff. and yes i stretch. I was just wondering if taking it has any negative effects? thanks

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
i would tend to think it has a positive effect. i am a baseball player and drink no-shotgun before every game. i have never noticed cramping or any other negative side effect. i have also taken arginine caps and/or drank no-shotgun before playing pickup basketball and again have noticed no negative effects. if you are cramping i would make sure to drink at least a gallon of water a day and drink plenty during your athletic activity.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cramping? It should not affect cramping in any way, though you might mistake a thick pump for a cramp. You'd have to be working the muscle pretty hard to get that, though.

There are other issues with arginine, like its effect on creatine in the body, and free-radical formation, that I'm more interested in. Arginine, as a whole, is pretty benign stuff.

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
Cramping? It should not affect cramping in any way, though you might mistake a thick pump for a cramp. You'd have to be working the muscle pretty hard to get that, though.

There are other issues with arginine, like its effect on creatine in the body, and free-radical formation, that I'm more interested in. Arginine, as a whole, is pretty benign stuff.
I have not read about it affecting ceatine. Is it a possitive or negative effect?

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
You aren't drinking enough water, maybe you need more electrolytes...