Does it matter if you take a pre-bed protein shake at night?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the long run, does it offer any kind of additional benefit in terms of muscle growth or faster recovery or better metabolism? Have you guys noticed any difference in taking a protein shake before going to bed?

Thanks!

Afi140

Afi140

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I’m bulking and my macros permit I’ll add a pre-bed shake. Overall daily protein intake is more important than timing but I always enjoy a pre-bed shake (as long as I’m not peeing all night )

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are going to get answers across the board. I personally feel I sleep better and recover better with some light protein before bed like cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. I also include cinnamon for the blood sugar stabilization and sleep benefits thereof. Others are going to say you shouldn’t eat anything two hours before bed,

Resolve10

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As mentioned overall protein total throughout the day is most important.

Considering I evenly split things for the most part I end up usually eating some 1-2 hours before bed pretty much always.

I don't think it is "needed", but also think it makes sense to have some at least somewhere near when you sleep as long as it doesn't seem to hinder sleep quality.

PhoenixGamer

Awards
It's best to not eat before bed. Allowing the intestines time to rest and activate the MMC overnight is wise.
I personally do intermittent fasting; I stop eating at 1PM and fast until the next morning and eat again at around 4-5AM.
Growth hormone and ghrelin will be secreted in an optimal fashion. You'll make better progress in the gym.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's best to not eat before bed. Allowing the intestines time to rest and activate the MMC overnight is wise.
I personally do intermittent fasting; I stop eating at 1PM and fast until the next morning and eat again at around 4-5AM.
Growth hormone and ghrelin will be secreted in an optimal fashion. You'll make better progress in the gym.
Sorry, what's MMC?

Also, you fast from 1pm?! Geez bro, how do you last so long?

The Solution

The Solution

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Another great article by SbS for those interested more in learning about meal timing and prebed nutrition.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/chrononutrition/
For those that dont want to read

1. Circadian biology plays a fundamental role in human health.
  2. Research has shown that nutrient ingestion can impact our “body clocks” in peripheral tissues around the body, suggesting that when we eat our meals can have implications for health via influencing circadian rhythms.
  3. In addition, it has been hypothesized that having a restricted feeding window (time-restricted feeding) can have beneficial impacts on body composition and health, likely via circadian effects at least in some part.
  4. A related hypothesis suggests that the distribution of calories over the day (majority eaten early vs. late) can also have health impacts.
  5. My personal interpretation of the current literature available leads me to tentatively conclude that, in general, the following heuristics would be beneficial for many people to follow: 1) avoid eating during biological night, 2) avoid meals, particularly those high in fat and/or carbohydrates, close to DLMO (or say, at least ~2-3 hours pre-sleep), 3) bias more calories to earlier in the day (i.e. don’t eat a high proportion of your daily calories in the late evening), 4) have consistent meal times and meal frequency from day-to-day, 5) have some restricted feeding window (start with <12 hours per day, but no ideal is yet known), 6) get daylight exposure early in the day and avoid artificial light (blue and green wavelengths of light specifically) as much as is pragmatically reasonable at night.
  6. There are several caveats and exceptions to the above heuristics. Implications may be different for athletes, for those trying to gain weight, for those who such heuristics undermine adherence to nutrition fundamentals, and in situations where social interactions and fun should be prioritized.