Does IGF-1 extend or shorten lifespan?

mcs5309

Awards
Much has been posted on this forum on the benefits of GH vs. the drawbacks in terms of human lifespan.

I recall much of the drawbacks to increasing one's GH had been debunked by members here as well as those well-respected in the HRT community. But lately, there has been more and more research supporting the negative effects of increasing one's IGF-1 (decreased lifespan, cancer, CVD, diabetes, etc.) via various exogenous applications (increased protein intake, excess calories, exogenous HGH, etc.). Additional research also supports protein restriction [Protein Restriction or High Protein for Longevity? | Scientific Psychic Blog] or cycling, [as I posted on here: http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/...ycling-anyone], as increased protein intake boosts IGF-1 production http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673798/

In the following recent article and documentary produced by the BBC, animals have been genetically engineered so their body produces very low levels of a IGF-1, high levels of which seem to lead to accelerated aging and age-related diseases, while low levels are protective. As levels of the IGF-1 drop, a number of repair genes appear to get switched on according to ongoing research by Professor Valter Longo of the University of Southern California who is also director of the USC Longevity Institute.

article:
BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting

full documentary:
BBC Horizon 2012: Eat, Fast and Live Longer - YouTube

But is the case against higher IGF-1 levels valid, as both inhibition of IGF-1 and lowered protein intake run counter to everything we learned from the HRT/anti-aging community http://www.neogenantiaging.com/igf1-is-it-better-than-hgh/?
In fact, I believe A4M is still of the opinion that optimum IGF-1 blood levels are between 350 to 400 and that treatment is clinically indicated when IGF-1 blood levels drop below 200.

This 2008 study supports the exact opposite of these latest rounds of research:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0527084252.htm

Elderly men with higher activity of the hormone IGF-1--or insulin-growth factor 1--appear to have greater life expectancy and reduced cardiovascular risk, according to a new study.

IGF-1 is a hormone similar in molecular structure to insulin. It is released from the liver and plays an important role in childhood growth and continues to have anabolic effects in adults. ...

Subjects with the lowest IGF-1 function had a significantly higher mortality rate than subjects with the highest IGF-1 bioactivity. These results were especially significant in individuals who have a high risk to die from cardiovascular complications.

And how does any of the argument against maintaining adequate levels of IGF-1 and protein consumption figure in with the strength, bodybuilding, and other fitness-minded crowd? We all know that too little protein - or worse - a strict vegan diet - will promote disease, decrease metabolism from too little lean body mass, etc.

Based on this paradigm, anything we can do to keep GH and IGF-1 levels up will help us look and feel younger - but will such extend or decrease lifespan?

It therefore goes without saying that there's a lot of contradictory science going on here.

First off, it has been show that fasting, particularly intermittent fasting (IF), actually raises endogenous HGH. We know that dietary restriction (DR) reduces IGF-1, however, IF may not in cases in which calories are unrestricted:
Intermittent fasting dissociates beneficial effects of dietary restriction on glucose metabolism and neuronal resistance to injury from calorie intake

Given the above contention that IGF-1 inhibition via protein restriction (or protein cycling), or otherwise, can extend human lifespan, I would think most would side toward having a fantastic quality of life (which for me means plenty of lean mass, plenty of physical activity, and plenty of meat on my plate) than live a few extra, IGF-1 and protein-restricted years. Ideally, all of us want both the quality and quantity of life. But, is it possible?

IGF-1 is not recognized as the ONLY true marker for GH activity. In fact, the following post suggests there is the possibility of a completely inverse relationship between increased GH levels and IGF-1 levels by using HGH secretagogues as opposed to exogenous HGH which, as we know from firsthand experience and otherwise, raises IGF-1:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...n/message/5453

Scientific abstracts showing GH and IGF-1 being completely independent of one another:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...181-3/abstract
Insulin-like growth factor measurements in the eval... [Horm Res. 1990] - PubMed - NCBI
IGF-1 levels in different conditions of l... [Minerva Endocrinol. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

And this paper touting the benefits of a HGH secretagogue TD cream Trans-D-Tropin suggest the same:
https://www.transd.com/truth_about_gh.php

Perhaps the trick is to err on the side of caution and use secretagogue peptides that will simultaneously raise GH levels while not affecting IGF-1? Yet, it is unclear as to exactly which peptides will raise IGF-1. Anyone with some updated research on this, please post.

At the end of the day, does it all come down to: It is better to live one day as a lion, than a lifetime as a mouse - OR - is there a legitimate method to obtain the positive benefits associated with increasing one's GH without the apparent age-reducing effects we are seeing more research substantiate with respect to increased IGF-1?

Let's hear it from the experts!

vassille

Awards
interesting idea. Well,
Too much HGH will make you hold water and increase blood pressure.
Too much IGF makes you sleep all the time. Does it make you bigger, short term high IGF wont do much for you, longer term though it will have an effect. Is it safe?
Idk, we will find out with the most recent crop of bodybuilders who will retire and get to be in their 60s and see what it does for them.
My take is that as long as you dont have any cancers IGF will fine. Im just speculating and honestly I dont think anyone knows because nobody will do these weird studies in a controled group. **** we still trying to figure out nutrition as a nation never mind peptides.
On the other side of the coin, there are many examples of ppl with too much HGH and the results are devastating. So, it is wise to be on the cautious side when playing around with IGF and HGH. Ppl take wayyy to much HGH and IGF as part of bodybuilding cycles. THe secret is much more in longer durations than higher dosages.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
HGH may cause calcifications of pituitary glands in theory. Peptides will keep your own gland in tact. Even has been able to work to rejuventate own hgh production in people over 80. DAT BTRU's mother 85year old plus healed 15 years osteroporsis in 6 months. Drs saw the dex scan of new bone formation almost SH^T a brick LOL. There are cases out there where it has clinical application for older people to benefit greatly.

mcs5309

Awards
HGH may cause calcifications of pituitary glands in theory. Peptides will keep your own gland in tact. Even has been able to work to rejuventate own hgh production in people over 80. DAT BTRU's mother 85year old plus healed 15 years osteroporsis in 6 months. Drs saw the dex scan of new bone formation almost SH^T a brick LOL. There are cases out there where it has clinical application for older people to benefit greatly.
http://www.datbtrue.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?644-744-***-A-complete-understanding-of-IGF-1-potential-influence-on-cancer-longevity&highlight=LONGEVITY

Are you referring to the GHRH like sermorelin and GHRPs like GHRP-2 and GHRP-6? What about CJC-1295, ipamorelin, hexarelin, IGF-1Lr3, etc?

But I agree that peptides are the better, safe way to go. I'm just not sure about the whole IGF-1 thing and lifespan. The question I need to find out is which peptides cause a rise in both IGF-1 and HGH or just HGH and whether such rise is above and beyond what the body would secrete on its own.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
http://www.datbtrue.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?644-744-***-A-complete-understanding-of-IGF-1-potential-influence-on-cancer-longevity&highlight=LONGEVITY

Are you referring to the GHRH like sermorelin and GHRPs like GHRP-2 and GHRP-6? What about CJC-1295, ipamorelin, hexarelin, IGF-1Lr3, etc?

But I agree that peptides are the better, safe way to go. I'm just not sure about the whole IGF-1 thing and lifespan. The question I need to find out is which peptides cause a rise in both IGF-1 and HGH or just HGH and whether such rise is above and beyond what the body would secrete on its own.
High.igf1 levels.may express cancer signally which is not.a good.thing

vassille

Awards
Peptides do work no question. Older folks def benefit from peptides and HGH will spur skeleton growth/rejuvanation process.
One thing to note and this is my opinion from my research is that peptides at least HGH will not impair your own production if taken externally for a period of time. I would like to hear others chime in if they have info on this.