Does higher DHT levels necessarily cause hair loss?

Mlane33

Awards
I have thinning and a small amount of receding, but overall, I have good hair genes. I did a 10 week cycle w/ 500 Test and 300-400 deca. I didn't see any real hair loss.

There seems to be more to it than DHT or even genetics. Some men go bald early and some guys are in between

One reason that I'm asking it is , b/c, on my trt dose, I've been taking Boron and it lowered my estrogen really well, but I heard that Boron increases free DHT also. I'm also thinking about taking some drugs that might increase DHT

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s all genetic and receptor based as well as how your body converts things. So no it’s not a simple thing but take a DHT heavy steroid cycle and then talk about it. Test/deca is pretty mild and deca is very mild on the hair.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve read somewhere that free test has a stronger correlation to hair loss than DHT. That did make me wonder if it’s more related to local conversion than systemic DHT. I don’t know, but it would make sense why people are effected differently. Different enzyme expression in the scalp. Who knows.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s genetic, if you’re supposed to go bald steroids will speed it up, if you’re not you’re good to juice away.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Boron lowered your estrogen? Did you verify via bloodwork? I would've rather expect it to do the opposite, via increasing free T, that can be aromatized to estro and freeing up estro from being bound to SHBG.

Mlane33

Awards
Boron lowered your estrogen? Did you verify via bloodwork? I would've rather expect it to do the opposite, via increasing free T, that can be aromatized to estro and freeing up estro from being bound to SHBG.
In one study, 10 mg. of boron a day for one week led to a 27% boost in testosterone levels, a 39% reduction in estrogen levels, and a 10% increase in DHT.

I was taking some Boron after my blast and my estrogen went way down. Now, my other bloodwork was on blast, so i expected my estrogen to be higher, but estrogen went way down percentage wise

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is more up to genetics, I am 64 years old and still have a pretty good head of hair after 20 years on TRT +

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It’s genetic, if you’re supposed to go bald steroids will speed it up, if you’re not you’re good to juice away.
This is pretty much what it boils down to. Genetics is the final decision for almost all this stuff.

Some guys run a few cycles of test and loose a bunch of hair. But look at Jay Cutler and all the pros who have good heads of hair. That's genetics.

Some guys take a oral for a few weeks and there liver enzymes and blood pressure are through the roof and and they can't eat. Some guys can take 150mg anadrol and feel fantastic and be hungry as a horse and bp is great, genetics.

I got a friend who's liver failed at 35 from drinking, I know other guys who are in there 70's that are literally on a bar stool 7 days a week and smoke a pack a day and there's nothing wrong with them, genetics has the final say

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is pretty much what it boils down to. Genetics is the final decision for almost all this stuff.

Some guys run a few cycles of test and loose a bunch of hair. But look at Jay Cutler and all the pros who have good heads of hair. That's genetics.

Some guys take a oral for a few weeks and there liver enzymes and blood pressure are through the roof and and they can't eat. Some guys can take 150mg anadrol and feel fantastic and be hungry as a horse and bp is great, genetics.

I got a friend who's liver failed at 35 from drinking, I know other guys who are in there 70's that are literally on a bar stool 7 days a week and smoke a pack a day and there's nothing wrong with them, genetics has the final say
This☝

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is pretty much the jist of all steroid side effects.

Everyone was delt a hand of cards, if going bald or acne or poor fertility ect. Are I the cards for you then steroids speed up the process.

There's tons of bodybuilders who kept full heads of hair and ton of them that went bald.

There's ton of guys who became infertile and need trt for life and there's other guys we're pumping out babies on a 10-year blast and come off cold turkey and recover.

Steroids just speed it up if it was meant to be.

If you got delt a hand full of good genes then you will look like Mike ohearn or Jay Cutler at 50+ years old

krimdad

Awards
DHT can affect the growth of your hair and cause thinner hair or even hair loss, but genetics also play a huge role. Not everyone is predisposed to hair loss, but there are many factors that can affect your hair, like stress or imbalanced diet. Many studies believe that a receding hairline is a symptom of administrating a high dose of DHT. That’s what happened to a friend of mine, who is a boxer. He started losing his hair and became really insecure. At one point, he considered getting a hair transplant at hairtransplantinstitute.ca, but changed his mind when his girlfriend said that she likes the bold look on him. He doesn’t use DHT anymore and his hair started growing again, but he shaves it now, lol.

Last edited:

Russianstarr

Awards
As I work with DHT I can tell you conclusively that having High DHT doesn't necessarily mean high androgen receptor activity.

Pulpfiction

Pulpfiction

Awards
no one has balding in my family so I still have a full set of hair heading into my late 30’s but I do know that when I am on masteron or compounds that are dht derived, my hair gets very thin. Once I stop it’s gets thick again

lanky

Awards
  • Established
i took mestanolone(17a methyl dht)(methyl intensity) years ago back when SNS offered it as a supplement before the PH ban of 2005 took it long term and had no hair loss, took it at 75mg day and up to about 200mg a day for a few days just to experiment with a high dose. actually felt flat when i moved up to 200mg and my skin did not look healthy. the only thing i noticed with the 200mg dose was i did not come out of my room because i was playing with myself constantly..orgasms were definitely stronger with this compound compared to anything i ever took. muscle fullness was there but was not dose dependent, honestly 50mg felt the same as 75. you will start to feel on withing 24 hours of starting this stuff

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
no one has balding in my family so I still have a full set of hair heading into my late 30’s but I do know that when I am on masteron or compounds that are dht derived, my hair gets very thin. Once I stop it’s gets thick again
I hear this from time to time on this forum. Keep in mind, that is not MPB though. Whatever is causing your hair to fall out would be the compound causing some kind of a shock to your system. If it were MPB the hair would not grow back nor would it just start shedding rapidly on cycle. I think a lot of people get confused about the different types of hair loss on cycle. Even those prone to MPB who say their hair falls out after a few days are likely not experiencing MPB but rather some other kind of shock to their system which is causing their hair to fall out.

Pulpfiction

Pulpfiction

Awards
I hear this from time to time on this forum. Keep in mind, that is not MPB though. Whatever is causing your hair to fall out would be the compound causing some kind of a shock to your system. If it were MPB the hair would not grow back nor would it just start shedding rapidly on cycle. I think a lot of people get confused about the different types of hair loss on cycle. Even those prone to MPB who say their hair falls out after a few days are likely not experiencing MPB but rather some other kind of shock to their system which is causing their hair to fall out.
Interesting, didn’t know that. Makes sense, it doesn’t even fall out just thinner.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Interesting, didn’t know that. Makes sense, it doesn’t even fall out just thinner.
A lot of people don't seem to realize it and often get confused by it, especially people who actually have MPB. People who have MPB will start a cycle and experience shedding as quick as 2 days in. When that happens, that is not due to MPB but rather the compound(s) they are running cause a shock to their system which causes their hair to fall out. That hair will usually regrow and thicken after the cycle. MPB causes the follicles to become miniaturized and fall out but even on AAS it doesn't cause it to happen in a matter of days or even weeks. The hair would most likely takes months to start falling out. But once the hair falls out, it doesn't grow back.

Some people on chemotherapy lose all of the hair on their entire body - and some barely lose any hair at all. But once the chemo is over the hair will grow back unlike those who have MPB. That is why a lot of the anecdotal evidence on which compounds actually cause "hair loss" isn't always very factually accurate information.