Does cardio post workout increase the amount of cortisol released?

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
So just read some studies about how too long workouts lead to an increase of cortisol, actually they suggest not to work for more than 60 mins.

Intensity is the key word we often read, anyway was wondering if post workout cardio for this purpose has to be counted within the total time or not.

I perfectly know that its pointless to talk about 50min or 60min as if there was an automatic cortisol release switch on the clock, my question is more on general terms.

I'm talking about medium/low intensity cardio in the fat burning area.

reprieve

Awards
As far as a workout timer goes, I can't link any sources for this quick reply but from Louie Simmons I've heard that testerone levels lower after an hour of training. So for his powerlifters and other athletes he will keep it in that time, and anything else is added in a separate workout another day or hours away from the initial. As far as cortisol goes, it is tricky to determine, as it is somewhat indicative of certain stress. Surely it increases during exercise regardless, I'd hesitate to say it is heavily impacted by a walking intensity. Whatever the case, all I can say for sure is that more cardio is inefficient compared to a better regulated diet in terms of body composition simply due to cortisol production. Walking though, I can't really say. Google scholar search for some ideas

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
I'm not sure about cortisol release timing and workout duration. I do know many people who workout for about 1.5 hours and they look phenomenal. What's your main concern with cortisol release and training duration? Are u concerned with muscle mass impairment, fatigue , blood glucose levels, increased fat storage.?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So just read some studies about how too long workouts lead to an increase of cortisol, actually they suggest not to work for more than 60 mins.

Intensity is the key word we often read, anyway was wondering if post workout cardio for this purpose has to be counted within the total time or not.

I perfectly know that its pointless to talk about 50min or 60min as if there was an automatic cortisol release switch on the clock, my question is more on general terms.

I'm talking about medium/low intensity cardio in the fat burning area.
Depends on what type of cardio. The steady, long term HR workouts do. The HIIT ones spike T. Which is why I do the latter before weights. Should not take more than 15-20min.

Monte_Cristo

Monte_Cristo

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure about cortisol release timing and workout duration. I do know many people who workout for about 1.5 hours and they look phenomenal. What's your main concern with cortisol release and training duration? Are u concerned with muscle mass impairment, fatigue , blood glucose levels, increased fat storage.?
Im concerned with muscle waste mostly.

Depends on what type of cardio. The steady, long term HR workouts do. The HIIT ones spike T. Which is why I do the latter before weights. Should not take more than 15-20min.
So you mean that you perform HIIT before lifting? for how long?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im concerned with muscle waste mostly.

So you mean that you perform HIIT before lifting? for how long?
Probably unique for everyone. I think Tabata drill is like 12 minutes. Have done 100 burpees in 8-9 minutes and HR hits 188. I think the study that showed the T spike was about 10-15min workout.

reprieve

Awards
The concern I have with HIIt pre workout is limiting your strength potential by training energy systems prior. For the most part, methods to manipulate hormones for better performance is not practical -besides exogenous hormone use

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Having been doing this for the previous few months. At first I was stressed due to the volume. I take a 10min break and an intra-workout protein shake in-between cardio(intense spinning) and weights. Do not find it an issue now/lately. Weight training is a compound program, high weight/low rep. Not a bodybuilding program.

I admit it sounds counter-intuitive to lift weights when drained although it is similar to doing squats and deadlifts first in a routine to maximize the t-spike before engaging in less taxing movements.

edit: My HR also peaks during squats and DLs. up to 185 or so.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I'd be interested to see the studies on this. I assume the type of training would matter. If you are training at 40% of your max heart rate as opposed to 90%, then I would assume you would be able to get away with training longer before increased cortisol and/or decreased testosterone kicks in.

pro45

Awards
LISS would not be detrimental. Worse combination, over time, would be stim based pre workout supplements with training.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HIIT before workout? Do you feel that this acts as a good warm up? or are you warming up before doing HIIT before doing weights?