Does Baked Beans Have its Place in Cutting Diet?

ZoMbSta

Awards
hey guys,

everytime i have a steak or some chicken chop, i will ask for the fries to be changed to some baked beans in tomatoes...so in the end i will get 2 serving portions of baked beans...so i am wondering whether i should just cut out the baked beans...or is it ok to have them?

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Depends. Are they made the way they are down here with syrup and other sweetness?
If so, then you know.

deech

Board Supporter
Awards
As with any food, depends on the portion and what your caloric plan is. I don't think there's a 'yes or no' answer. If you are 280 at 12% bf and trying to get to 10%, probably not a big deal. If you are 180 trying to do the same, it's a bit tougher.

FWIW, Fitday lists generic 'Baked beans' with the following macros for a 1 cup serving:

Calories: 387
Fat: 13g
Carbs: 55g
Fiber: 10g
Protein: 15g

I wouldn't eat them myself, but I'm only 195 lbs.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Agreed with the above.

If managed correctly and written into a well-planned diet plan (with portion control), then you could do it.

I can think of better carb sources for when trying to get sub-10% though.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
Your ordering fast food, or food that's not prepared by you, either way they cut corners (adding extra calories and unnatural things) to make it taste better. The only food I eat when I'm out is great wraps, and all that's in it is chicken,lil bit of cheese, lettuce, tomato, alphapha beans, cucumber, giradona peppers and hummus in a vege tortilla. My friend works there and I see what's going into what i'm eating, as I eat that after a workout with my protein powder mixed with water. It's hard to prepare meals, but that payoff is huge.

ZoMbSta

Awards
hmmm...actually i was trying to go for the no carbs diet or at least one which is so minimal it's negligible...

anyway i am 157lbs with bodyfats in the 16% region trying to get it down to single digit for that 6 packs before school starts..i'm only 5"2 or 1.7m by the way...

so is going no carbs ok?...or must there be some carbs everyday if not my muscles will go to waste? and that means baked beans(the Heinz type) have no place in my diet?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Beans are an excellent source of low GI carbs and fiber as long as you are getting them without a bunch of added crap. For example, I have a can of Great Northern Beans here with the following macros:
1/2 cup 100 cals
.5g fat
sodium 310mg
potassium 413mg
carbs 19g
fiber 7g
sugars 1g
protein 6g

All that and a GI less than 40. Great for cutting. IMO

deech

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah, beans don't work too well on a low-carb plan. You can go no carb and lose fat fairly effectively without losing too much muscle as long as you

1. Continue to train regularly
2. Keep up your protein intake and
3. Refeed carbs occasionally
4. Keep your overall calories well below maintenance (most important)

Presuming you mean that you are going back to school in Sept, I wouldn't go the no-carb route - i would keep cals at a moderate deficit (500-700 below) and keep protein high. I would still throw in cheat days once every one or two weeks to keep metabolism from crashing as well. I HIGHLY recommend keeping rigorous track of you calories through Fitday or Diet Power on something like that.

If you are deadset ondoing it, though Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet book outlines a very effective (albeit extreme) no carb plan. It's more for people trying to do it in a hurry, though.

ZoMbSta

Awards
wow..thanks guys...you all have been a great help to me...learnt alot here...hmmm...and just wondering...does low/no carbs means fibrous carbs too?...like apples and brocolli's? do i have to calculate him into the carbs consumption column?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When calculating absorbed carbs, no you don't count insoluble fibre.

ZoMbSta

Awards
so if i don't consume any rice or potatoes or the junk food or beans...can that mean i had a no carb diet for the day?

ZoMbSta

Awards
ok...i have taken everybody's advise and done up my journal for the day...and the results are shocking!!!...its like a book smacked across my face..saw many facts with i wouldn't otherwise know abt...

here's the link...
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/49482-my-weight-loss-low-carb-diet.html#post582399

if can..pls help me out with it....i'm pretty desperate due to the taunting i get from friends abt how fat i am now everytime they see me...
(fat as in stomach fat...no packs at all)