Does anyone supplement additional B3 and why?

dcoen21

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started taking an additional 50mg twice a day, recently I woke up with these red patches on my hands and found out I could be deficient in b3.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I started taking an additional 50mg twice a day, recently I woke up with these red patches on my hands and found out I could be I’m deficient in b3.
I do not.
But I am going to try it, for the purported sleep benefits, and improved lipid profile.

dcoen21

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do not.
But I am going to try it, for the purported sleep benefits, and improved lipid profile.

Sleep has definitely been improved since adding additional b3.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do not.

Huh. That’s cool as hell. I’m gonna have to try that. Also, in the abstract, that says that a COX inhibitor eliminated the effect on sleep. Would NSAIDs interfere with sleep to an extent?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Huh. That’s cool as hell. I’m gonna have to try that. Also, in the abstract, that says that a COX inhibitor eliminated the effect on sleep. Would NSAIDs interfere with sleep to an extent?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take an extra 50mg here and there while navigating my sleep and overmethylation stuff. Are y'all taking it right before bed?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

dcoen21

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take an extra 50mg here and there while navigating my sleep and overmethylation stuff. Are y'all taking it right before bed?
I take 50mg with breakfast and lunch along with a b complex, deep sleep has improved. Only thing I take before bed which I have been doing for months is magnesium and vitamin d. A lot of things increase my deep sleep when I first take them but then they stop, so hoping this stays the same with the improved sleep.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take 50mg with breakfast and lunch along with a b complex, deep sleep has improved. Only thing I take before bed which I have been doing for months is magnesium and vitamin d. A lot of things increase my deep sleep when I first take them but then they stop, so hoping this stays the same with the improved sleep.
You take the b complex twice per day too?

dcoen21

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sleep has benefited greatly from an additional b3 throughout the morning and afternoon.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes when I am sick. COVID depletes it heavily and this is the primary reason for “long COVID” in some. It’s just symptoms of niacin deficiency.

My toddler in daycare brings home stuff so often now I just assume one of these viruses will be COVID again at some point, so I try to get ahead of it with an extra 50mg per day for a week or so at a time when I know I have some kind of throat discomfort. It’s insanely cheap and I have no side effects at that low dose. B vitamins aren’t particularly risky, beyond being wasteful, as they’re water-soluble.

~1-200mg daily of flushing niacin is usually plenty to remedy long COVID symptoms it was found, btw. “Flush-free” still works but you need to take more of it.

Battousai

Awards
Yes, a couple grams a day. It's great for leveling out HDL and LDL.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes, a couple grams a day. It's great for leveling out HDL and LDL.
I’ve seen that, but they also concluded that there doesn’t seem to be any improvement in actual mortality rates with niacin use even though lipids routinely improved.

Which makes me wonder if I’m wasting my time with my Ezetimibe, but it has zero side effects for me, unlike niacin.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Are any of you concerned with depleting the methyl pool with lots of extra niacin?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take extra daily (100mg usually).

Higher dosages have shown some potential for issues with insulin sensitivity fwiw.

I still remember the old Nimbus Nutrition hydration product with a solid dose (no idea what anymore) that was causing flushing in people. Was fun handling those questions all the time. 😐

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I take extra daily (100mg usually).

Higher dosages have shown some potential for issues with insulin sensitivity fwiw.

I still remember the old Nimbus Nutrition hydration product with a solid dose (no idea what anymore) that was causing flushing in people. Was fun handling those questions all the time.
Poseidon? Poseidon Night Time? Man I loved that product

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Poseidon? Poseidon Night Time? Man I loved that product
I just looked at that product, but I can't see anything that would help sleep? It only had 40mg niacin, but 1000mcg methylcobalamin b12! That would fire me up lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes when I am sick. COVID depletes it heavily and this is the primary reason for “long COVID” in some. It’s just symptoms of niacin deficiency.

My toddler in daycare brings home stuff so often now I just assume one of these viruses will be COVID again at some point, so I try to get ahead of it with an extra 50mg per day for a week or so at a time when I know I have some kind of throat discomfort. It’s insanely cheap and I have no side effects at that low dose. B vitamins aren’t particularly risky, beyond being wasteful, as they’re water-soluble.

~1-200mg daily of flushing niacin is usually plenty to remedy long COVID symptoms it was found, btw. “Flush-free” still works but you need to take more of it.
Any reason to not just stay on 100-200mg niacin forever with a B complex?

I also wonder if when I had covid, it depleted my niacin which is the reason I had such bad insomnia when I had covid.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Any reason to not just stay on 100-200mg niacin forever with a B complex?

I also wonder if when I had covid, it depleted my niacin which is the reason I had such bad insomnia when I had covid.
If you try to follow upper tolerable limits, it’s 35mg for day in/out indefinite use in the US. What can possibly go wrong if you indefinitely exceed that, I have no idea.

IMG_7356.JPG

In reality, I don’t know a reason to intentionally exceed ~50mg daily considering 100mg will correct a COVID deficiency fairly quickly. Most B complexes will be more than sufficient when looking at routine use. Unless your doctor has established some kind of greater deficiency from a diagnosis, obviously.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you try to follow upper tolerable limits, it’s 35mg for day in/out indefinite use in the US. What can possibly go wrong if you indefinitely exceed that, I have no idea.

View attachment 225433

In reality, I don’t know a reason to intentionally exceed ~50mg daily considering 100mg will correct a COVID deficiency fairly quickly. Most B complexes will be more than sufficient when looking at routine use. Unless your doctor has established some kind of greater deficiency from a diagnosis, obviously.
I don't really pay attention to those for the most part. 50mg is necessary for me to feel right, and now seeing if an extra 50mg on top of that works better.