Do you need to train lower back?

Toff

Awards
  • Established
So I mainly keep to the machines and cables area of the gym - the free weights area is full of meat heads (movign gym soon)

So, theres a 'lower back' machine consisting of a bar that rests against your upper back, you press a weight back against it from a crouched position to fully extended.

Every tim i go on it, th next day i feel like im about to put my back out (twinges and the like)

Is this machine necessary? Is it necessary to to train lower back when pull downs, pull ups, reverse flies, reverse pec dec are used?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The machine? No
It's intended purpose? Yes

BW or banded hyperextensions are a healthier replacement. Having a strong lower back are going to improve your core strength.

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
Yeah training lower back is absolutely essential bro. Deadlift would be the classic go to for most, rather than an isolated lower back machine.

What's wrong with meat heads?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^^^^ This and hyperextension are my lower back workouts. My lower back was very weak. But, has improved a lot with deadlifts. Hyperextension gives that proper squeeze and stretch.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents...
I am going to agree with others. The low back is a key area to keep strong and fit. No, you do not have to go heavy, or do deadlifts per se, but as with any core or foundation work, this area is a good one to keep fit IMO.
For me and what I learned, the situation with "most" machines is first laying or sitting, they train muscle groups and body parts, but do not do a great deal for loading the spine. ie; standing exercises with weight down thru the torso. This to me is more in line with functional everyday strength work, yard or a type of physical labor work for instance. Again, it does not have to be heavy, and even BW weight stuff such as goblet squats, standing OHP movements, and lifts that would be considered compound moves from legs, hips, low back and shoulders.
The lifts you mention if they hit the low back, most likely do it statically with no flexion or extension. I think some bending at hips and even waist/work, even if kept light, is good.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So I mainly keep to the machines and cables area of the gym - the free weights area is full of meat heads (movign gym soon)

So, theres a 'lower back' machine consisting of a bar that rests against your upper back, you press a weight back against it from a crouched position to fully extended.

Every tim i go on it, th next day i feel like im about to put my back out (twinges and the like)

Is this machine necessary? Is it necessary to to train lower back when pull downs, pull ups, reverse flies, reverse pec dec are used?
I've got to agree with the populous here.

Keeping your lower back strong is paramount if you're looking to feel young as long as you can. With that being said - form is everything! If you're not controlling the weight, sure you can be doing more harm than good. If you're working controlled and with good form, deadlifts honestly are one of the most important exercises you can do for overall health, body composition, strength/power/size.

Now, lets be real. The meatheads can be a put-off, but most people who don't do deadlifts aren't doing them because they suck to do. This was me for a LONG time! The reason they suck to do is they are very taxing - so common sense would dictate "these must be doing something!".

Now, if you're avoiding these areas I'm assuming that extends into your leg workout. You hear this a lot and its true - squats and deads will do more for you than shape/develop/strengthen the legs. Once I got back to consistent compound leg training there's no question my body composition was changed for the better. My bodyfat decreased a bit but I definitely noticed enhanced development in my UPPER back and strengthening of my core

If you're honestly against using the barbell, you will still see positive changes by incorporating something like heavy goblet DB squats. Personally I'm not a fan of DB deadlifts because I think there's too much going on and form often gets compromised - but some people like them.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
A strong lower back will come into play for most ppl in every day Life, I pick up heavy shyt and dig ditches for a living, without a strong back I'd be ****ed. You should stop playing with machines and start lifting weights. I guarantee after a few months of free weights and compound moves you will see a huge difference. Try to start your workout with one of the big 3 and then go play with the cables to finish that muscle off

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
A strong lower back will come into play for most ppl in every day Life, I pick up heavy shyt and dig ditches for a living, without a strong back I'd be ****ed. You should stop playing with machines and start lifting weights. I guarantee after a few months of free weights and compound moves you will see a huge difference. Try to start your workout with one of the big 3 and then go play with the cables to finish that muscle off
I'm the opposite. My job is sedentary, I sell furniture. If I didn't lift heavy things in my spare time I would be a bag of flab.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm the opposite. My job is sedentary, I sell furniture. If I didn't lift heavy things in my spare time I would be a bag of flab.
I feel ya, I worked labor for the last 10+ years. I would have to force myself to fat

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
I feel ya, I worked labor for the last 10+ years. I would have to force myself to fat
I did it for 5 years before moving into sales and I was always lean and could basically eat anything I wanted. Those were the days. So much better for your mental health. I am looking to get back on the tools one day

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
Train lower back all the time helps with core strength as others have said. Dead lifts and hypers are great