Do you need to run an AI if you're taking a SERM?

UniqueUserName

Awards
I've often seen people say to take an AI like Arimistane to reduce the risk of gyno at the start and end of cycles.
Recently I hurt my tendon and found out that AIs can increase the risk of tendon injury.
On a PCT with Clomid and Arimistane, is it the Arimistane, the Clomid or just being suppressed that could have caused this injury?

But the main question is, Is there any benefit to using and AI whilst you're already taking a SERM?

Many thanks

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A serm will block estrogen at very specific areas (your nipples) it won’t do **** at controlling your estrogen levels. AI and seems are two completely different drugs and do different things.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
It depends. As Math said, the serm will occupy the estrogen receptors, so estrogen can't bind to them. And the particular serm, that is being used, will determine at which areas in your body the serm occupies the receptros. For example; Clomid (or the Enclomiphene in it) has the highest binding affinity to ER's in the pituitary and thus it's the best for hpta restart. Raloxifene has the highest binding affinity to ER's on the breast tissue, so it's the best for gyno protection and for attempted reduction.

So if you're having high E issues like bloat, ED, mood issues, etc, the serm won't help and you need an AI.

Or in some situations you can run a serm like Raloxifene, Tamoxifene or Toremifene to block the receptors in breast tissue to prevent gyno and let the body adjust the T and E ratio by itself.

Or if you are trying to reduce existing gyno and you don't have high E2 at the moment, you should run only Raloxifene and not slam your E2 down with AI's.

Low estrogen can have your joints dry, so in pct you can be suspectible to tendon injury, due to being suppressed and thus having low E. And you can make things worse with an AI.

But when you're doing your pct, your body is 'in a hurry' to get your E levels up, since your T and E are suppressed and on top of that, you're blocking the brain from sensing the E in your system with the serm, so sometimes you may aromatize too much T to E and thus a use of an AI would be beneficial.

The last paragraph is a bit bro sciency, but I believe it goes about like that in practice.

Btw, Arimistane is a very weak AI.

Last edited:

UniqueUserName

Awards
It depends. As Math said, the serm will occupy the estrogen receptors, so estrogen can't bind to them. And the particular serm, that is being used, will determine at which areas in your body the serm occupies the receptros. For example; Clomid (or the Enclomiphene in it) has the highest binding affinity to ER's in the pituitary and thus it's the best for hpta restart. Raloxifene has the highest binding affinity to ER's on the breast tissue, so it's the best for gyno protection and for attempted reduction.

So if you're having high E issues like bloat, ED, mood issues, etc, the serm won't help and you need an AI.

Or in some situations you can run a serm like Raloxifene, Tamoxifene or Toremifene to block the receptors in breast tissue to prevent gyno and let the body adjust the T and E ratio by itself.

Or if you are trying to reduce existing gyno and you don't have high E2 at the moment, you should run only Raloxifene and not slam your E2 down with AI's.

Low estrogen will have your joints dry, so in pct you can be suspectible to tendon injury due to being suppressed and thus having low E. And you can make things worse with an AI.

But when you're doing your pct, your body is 'in a hurry' to get your E levels up, since your T and E are suppressed and on top of that, you're blocking the brain from sensing the E in your system with the serm, so sometimes you may aromatize too much T to E and thus a use of an AI would be beneficial.

The last paragraph is a bit bro sciency, but I believe it goes about like that in practice.

Btw, Arimistane is a very weak AI.
Thank you, very detailed and helpful.
So the jist is
Clomid to restart testicles
Raloxifene to reduce Gyno
AI to reduce other high Oestrogen side effects
Use what you need each with their own side effects.
Maybe take training easy during a PCT to reduce injury. I was only playing football, kicking a ball, and that was enough to damage the patella tendon.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank you, very detailed and helpful.
So the jist is
Clomid to restart testicles
Raloxifene to reduce Gyno
AI to reduce other high Oestrogen side effects
Use what you need each with their own side effects.
Maybe take training easy during a PCT to reduce injury. I was only playing football, kicking a ball, and that was enough to damage the patella tendon.
Training less hard / not eating enough and well during PCT and you’re going to lose all your gains very fast. You’re most likely going to lose at least half of your gains so much sure you train as hard or even harder if you want to possibly keep some gains :). And make sure your diet is on point. Sleep well and a lot. Don’t drink alcohol.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think arimistane was purposely marketed by designer and sarm companies as, “hey, here’s an over the counter AI to go with our grey area compounds, that really require Rx products…but we’ve given it a cool name and chemical nomenclature on the panel…so line our pockets $$”

With that said, it does have a nice slight cosmetic effect and I get very minimal strength gains on par with creatine.