Do these numbers look like I would benefit from trt

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I am a 40 year old male 5’10” at 180lbs. I am always tired with no motivation. I love working out but it takes forever to recover from lifting and my strength and size don’t respond to the work I put in. Always felt like I was just a hard gainer and needed to eat and train more

Finally decided to get my free and total test blood draw. attached

Should I take this to a TRT facility/dr? I dont feel like my Kaiser dr is knowledgeable at all

I would rather inject than use creams is that a possibility?

Attachments

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I’d get it looked at. I went to a local doc cause I felt low and I was at 233. Said I didn’t want to use creams so he gave me test cyp. Yours are much lower than mine we’re

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Trt would benefit you. But you may also want to get bloods done on other hormones.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I took these results to my general practitioner and asked to see a urologist

He requested some more blood tests. So far I have

Prolactin 12ng/ml
Tsh 5.8 you/ml
Lh 2.1 mlu/ml

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I took these results to my general practitioner and asked to see a urologist

He requested some more blood tests. So far I have

Prolactin 12ng/ml
Tsh 5.8 you/ml
Lh 2.1 mlu/ml
Maybe he will let you try a clomid protocol before getting on the lifeline trt endeavour.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
That’s what I’m thinking
For those with secondary Hypogonadism does/can cloned and HCG really bring up numbers this low back into an average range?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am no expert on the trt stuff, but I would get more comprehensive thyroid panels done and fix that first and see what your test comes back at...I could be wrong.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s what I’m thinking
For those with secondary Hypogonadism does/can cloned and HCG really bring up numbers this low back into an average range?
You don't want HCG with clomid. It mimics LH, and will suppress LH production. Clomid will stimulate LH. If it doesn't, then your pituitary may be broken. As Hit4Me said, more comprehensive bloods will tell a broader story.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You don't want HCG with clomid. It mimics LH, and will suppress LH production. Clomid will stimulate LH. If it doesn't, then your pituitary may be broken. As Hit4Me said, more comprehensive bloods will tell a broader story.
I was just thinking with TSH at 5.8 he may be shpwing signs of hypothyroidism and his low test could be secondary to that maybe?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was just thinking with TSH at 5.8 he may be shpwing signs of hypothyroidism and his low test could be secondary to that maybe?
Very plausible. The body is a great organism, 1 issue can cause a plethora of issues. Fix the issue and can potentially fix a ton of issues. Why I believe TRT should be the last resort.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So I just received my second testosterone results, from kaiser this time, as I’m trying to go through my insurance to cover.

My second results from an AM test show total testosterone at 311ng. As this is in average range my primary care dr advised the first result was a false positive for low test.

Needless to say I have asked for a referral to a endo and a second opinion

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I just received my second testosterone results, from kaiser this time, as I’m trying to go through my insurance to cover.

My second results from an AM test show total testosterone at 311ng. As this is in average range my primary care dr advised the first result was a false positive for low test.

Needless to say I have asked for a referral to a endo and a second opinion
Hard to say without seeing all the other test levels. Again, your TSH was elevated - I would be more concerned about that then the low test at the moment.

It is quite normal for things to seem harder than you think they should be and want to get tested and hope that will change something - when their is nothing wrong.

You mention the big reason for this is that you feel tired and like you are not responding to training like you should. Can we start there? What is your workout routine?

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hard to say without seeing all the other test levels. Again, your TSH was elevated - I would be more concerned about that then the low test at the moment.

It is quite normal for things to seem harder than you think they should be and want to get tested and hope that will change something - when their is nothing wrong.

You mention the big reason for this is that you feel tired and like you are not responding to training like you should. Can we start there? What is your workout routine?
Truthfully I have been so tired in the PM I need to take a nap before I drive home. This lethargy has gotten in the way of life. Before I have enjoyed compound lifts deadlifts, squats, chin-ups and did 5x5. I never have been able to increase in pounds lifted and have always accepted that I am skinny/fat. But enjoy a good sweat and the health benefits of exercise. Before slowing to a stop I would try to get to the gym 2 times a week, sometimes 3. Anymore and I would feel overstrained and take about 10 days for my muscles and strength to recover to the point where I would have the energy to lift again

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, that looks suspicious to me. Do you use a fitness tracking device like a fitbit or such?

Take your body temperature ay night and first thing when you wake up.

Did your blood lipids come back yet?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So, those numbers look to be slightly high but only kind of like, high enough to warn that something is going on. I would suspect a Dr. may or may not medicate these levels, but probably not. He may even ignore it.

So, to me, with the very very little evidence I see you may have some thyroid issues. Elevated TSH and elevated lipids are often a sign of hypothyroidism. This can cause low test.

Often this can also cause cold hamds and feet, low body temp, sleep disturbances, slow heart rates, etc. These can be symptoms of hypothyroidism but their prescence does NOT diagnose thyroid issues. Plenty of normal people will also have these issues.

If this were me I would fight to get your lipids and a reasonable thyroid panel asap.

Take your heart rate resting and get a feel for that...tell them how exhausted you are.

I am not a dr. and I have limited info and I am not trying to second guess a dr. who has actually seen you. No medical advice here. Just giving my thoughts and options.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
@HIT4ME thank you. Not taking as medical advice but do appreciate a community of passionate individuals posting on a public forum. Will take your advice about body temp and HR as well as looking in to a full lipid and thyroid panel

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@HIT4ME thank you. Not taking as medical advice but do appreciate a community of passionate individuals posting on a public forum. Will take your advice about body temp and HR as well as looking in to a full lipid and thyroid panel
Glad if I can help! I hope it gives you a path to feel better.

I would record body temps and heart rates and have it ready as evidence if your doctor gives flack about testing. Dr.'s have a lot of people saying they suspect low thyroid because they can't seem to lose weight or whatever....so they resist testing a lot of times I think. But you have a high TSH, history of slightly elevated lipids and the body temp and heart rate data should good you enough to convince them to investigate further to at least rule it out.

Depression, elevated blood pressure are also sometimes symptoms...but it isn't like "Oh yeah! I have that! It must be low thyroid!". It is just a reason to investigate.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Even at 311 which is what I got my second test, you’re still very low. Granted not so low that clomid and HCG may not work but still low.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
@HIT4ME wanted to give you an update and for all. My Dr would not do another thyroid test. So I switched dr at kaiser. Met with him on Friday. He put me on 25mcg synthroid in 60 days will retest to see my levels.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@HIT4ME wanted to give you an update and for all. My Dr would not do another thyroid test. So I switched dr at kaiser. Met with him on Friday. He put me on 25mcg synthroid in 60 days will retest to see my levels.
Hey, thanks for the update. Did he retest and decide to put you o synthroid or just throw you on it without another test? I hope he retested.