Do Prepackaged Programs like Insanity, P90X work?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

It looks like Insanity or P90X are good pre-packaged cardio programs.

If someone did these in the morning, and weight training and night, they have a formidable program.

1. Is this the best route to go, or is there something better?

2. Anything else to add about insight?

Thanks

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi Everyone,

It looks like Insanity or P90X are good pre-packaged cardio programs.

If someone did these in the morning, and weight training and night, they have a formidable program.

1. Is this the best route to go, or is there something better?

2. Anything else to add about insight?

Thanks
Depends how old you are and goals and body type.

I did something similar in 1999-2003, morning PT at a military base (mostly running a couple miles and P90x type movements). Then, after duty day ended, I would goto a gym off base after dinner and lift.

At 19, I could handle that, but never got past 180-185 lbs and was probably 9% BF then.

I'm now a 38 y/o tall'ish, ectomorph, but with only 15 min of warmup cardio (rowing machine, elliptical on) at good intensity to hit target heart rate THR and then lifting I went from 175lbs and 20% BF to 205lbs and 10% BF.

Once THR is up, hit the weights for an hour. Do this with a Lee Labrada style program and 2-3 years later I now have good muscle and finally a six pack again. Nice to not be super skinny at 6'2" anymore (can get 220+ if eating and on PED, but 15% BF with extra glycogen and water). Eventually want to hit 220lbs and 10% BF.

Point is, don't overtrain - morning P90x + evening weights - expecting it to come in a month or two (unless you are 18-20 y/o and can sustain that).

Consistent 2+ years is best. But real changes can be seen in 2-3 months for sure. Just keep at it. Weights, cardio are like brushing teeth. To avoid of loss of teeth or muscle must do it several times weekly.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I do not like these types of programs at all, but. I watched a friend go from 350lbs to 220 lbs with p90x and insanity and he was 32years old when he started, the weight loss was over around 2 years. Any program works if you stick with it and progress. I don't think they do much for building muscle unless your new to lifting but they definately work for weight loss

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do not like these types of programs at all, but. I watched a friend go from 350lbs to 220 lbs with p90x and insanity and he was 32years old when he started, the weight loss was over around 2 years. Any program works if you stick with it and progress. I don't think they do much for building muscle unless your new to lifting but they definately work for weight loss
You're right motivation and consistency are most important