Do I need TRT ?

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Looking for some feedback. Was feeling somewhat lethargic during the day. Could be because i am 39 going on 40 and still maintaining the same activity level as when i was 21. I reached out to a telemedical clinic and they tested my hormones. I had a total test of 650, free of 16, DHT 45, E2 30, SHBG of 63. Thyroid was good and LH was an 8.2 These are labcorps ranges. I was told due to higher SHBG i needed TRT and was prescribed 80mg shots of test cyp 2 times a week. I just started week 3 and I constantly second guessing myself on this. My lifestyle was not the most optimized lifestyle for testosterone before my blood work. I am obsessive and LOVE working out and playing sports. I have a full gym in my addition and find myself spending 2-3 hours 5-6 days a week lifting and doing cardio. I also play golf 3-4 times a week and walk the course which is another 5-7 miles with a 50lb bag on my back. I have a super strict low carb diet which i read can raise SHBG. Was it a bad move on my part getting on TRT ?

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i start at 47, but would have start earlier if had got blood checked before. i was 280ish though (but also felt invincible, lol! must test blood = feeling not good indication - you will feel even better, hahaha).

650 not real low though, and i wonder if you doing too much? ^ that a lot of training. slowing to 2-3 times week may have give needed break? yes, low carb = high shbg on my blood test too. but shbg not boogey man once thought, so...

it up to you - if you not mind injecting, you can be 1000+ when trt dialed in - that not a bad place to be. if you want to stop and see if slowing down and changing diet raise 650, now would be time to try that before very long time on trt.

160mg/wk a good start, but once completely suppressed, may have to go up. you pumping out good amount, so may take a month or two to completely suppress - you read artificial high until then because combo testes and drug.

it all person dependent - i at 180mg and hover high 9's - low 1000's. i inject e.o.d. and not need ai - it nice protocol for me.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looking for some feedback. Was feeling somewhat lethargic during the day. Could be because i am 39 going on 40 and still maintaining the same activity level as when i was 21. I reached out to a telemedical clinic and they tested my hormones. I had a total test of 650, free of 16, DHT 45, E2 30, SHBG of 63. Thyroid was good and LH was an 8.2 These are labcorps ranges. I was told due to higher SHBG i needed TRT and was prescribed 80mg shots of test cyp 2 times a week. I just started week 3 and I constantly second guessing myself on this. My lifestyle was not the most optimized lifestyle for testosterone before my blood work. I am obsessive and LOVE working out and playing sports. I have a full gym in my addition and find myself spending 2-3 hours 5-6 days a week lifting and doing cardio. I also play golf 3-4 times a week and walk the course which is another 5-7 miles with a 50lb bag on my back. I have a super strict low carb diet which i read can raise SHBG. Was it a bad move on my part getting on TRT ?
Your total and free T both aren’t low enough for TRT. You just need to evaluate your lifestyle. Lower stress, cut back on things you don’t have to do. As active as you are, why are you on a low carb diet? I’m an advocate of the keto diet but some people don’t do well with low carb diets and high anaerobic / aerobic activities. You may just want to adjust your diet. If I were you I’d drop the test before you ruin your natural production.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your total and free T both aren’t low enough for TRT. You just need to evaluate your lifestyle. Lower stress, cut back on things you don’t have to do. As active as you are, why are you on a low carb diet? I’m an advocate of the keto diet but some people don’t do well with low carb diets and high anaerobic / aerobic activities. You may just want to adjust your diet. If I were you I’d drop the test before you ruin your natural production.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, you’re not low enough, I wouldn’t start trt unless I was under 400.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was 302 and 2 doctors denied me TRT because I wasn’t below 300. Can hardly imagine someone would give you trt with these numbers lol...pretty sure changing your lifestyle / diet should fix your issues.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
TRT is not justification to be given in high SHBG. Your body increases shbg as a protective mechanism of an insult to cellular homeostasis. Doctor still have not been educated the cell danger response which many are trying to over ride a natural protective mechanism in our body which is assbackwards thinking.
Would you overall the engine of a car because it would not start with out looking to see if the fuel pump was broke or the gas tank was empty? This is the same mentality doctors are using in hormone administration. Your body is crying out for help are you just going to ignore the signals ?
Low insulin increases shbg. This goenin the HRT hall of shame. I had several guys placed on TRT because they were on Keto lol We pulled them off TRT rebalanced diet and testosterone normalized. Treat the paper not the person..

Last edited: