Do I continue dieting or start reverse dieting?

msmth218

Awards
Hello All,

I have been dieting for almost 8 months now. Started March 2015 Till now. Starting weight was 211lbs at around 16%BF and I am 6'0. I've managed to keep track of my macros and slowly lose weight by 1-2lbs. My current weight is 155lbs and not sure about BF but would have to guess 10% or lower and I am contemplating if I should begin my reverse now and It has been too long. Any opinions or suggestions? I don't have any pics to upload and I just wanted to know when do you know when to begin a reverse and start lean bulking and if I should continue dieting down.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Well first off, congratulations on your progess! That's fantastic.

What is your age, sex, and height? And what are you goals? Are you looking to continue to diet down and lose more weight? Or are you looking to gain some muscle mass now? It really comes down to what you want to do, your personal goals.

If you are continuing to lose weight at a steady pace, and that is your goal, then I don't think a reverse diet is necessary. However, if your results are stalling, or you want to change your goal from fat loss to muscle gain, then you should aim to increase calories slowly, lift some weights, and put on some mass!

msmth218

Awards
Thank you.

I am 23, Male and 6'0. I want to do a lean bulk but this time want to do it slow and steady but from my researching, it seems like reverse dieting should be done before i start my lean bulk.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Thank you.

I am 23, Male and 6'0. I want to do a lean bulk but this time want to do it slow and steady but from my researching, it seems like reverse dieting should be done before i start my lean bulk.
You must be lean man! Damn!! You're correct. I would begin by reverse dieting from where you are now, slowly adding calories and carbs back into your diet until you are maintaining a steady weight. And from there you can start by adding in 200-300 calories per day and begin a lean bulk. If you're training hard and focusing on progression in the gym, you'll grow quick.

I aim to gain no more than .5-1 pound per week on a lean bulk. Lean bulking is a slow process, but its always easier in the end and its nice to be able to maintain a leaner physique while still packing on some mass.

msmth218

Awards
Lol i know it was a significant weight drop and I get the same response from everyone who sees me lol. I essentially wanted to do it right by getting as lean as possible and this time do a proper lean bulk. Thanks for you input. So that's what I have been contemplating whether to do a reverse now or later which actually started today as I slowly increased carbs today lol.

HIM

HIM

Awards
If your happy with what you've lost then reverse diet up into a lean bulk

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Rich Piana's starting a bulk program in January and is asking everyone to join along for three months. Sounds like he'll be putting out daily updates. He claims he's going to tell all, all the tips and tricks he knows to gain muscle. Worth checking into.

james117

Awards
This where you need to be careful man. Your metabolism is low after that long period of dieting and adding calories in to fast will lead to a rebound in fat gain. I've seen it and experienced it. Dudes be super lean and see them in a month and there just fat again. Problem is people add cals in faster then what their metabolism can adjust to. You've probably started but adding 5g of carbs a week will be enough. Doesn't sound like much but after 12 months that's an extra 250g carbs on top of what your already taking. That means when you cut again your metabolic capacity will be higher and you can cut on more cals. The best athletes in the world can eat a lot of food while still staying lean. Increasing metabolic capacity should be a goal among bulking and cutting. Sorry if that was long winded. Have fun with it!

jaces

jaces

Awards
@ 6ft you should be weighing a few pounds more..so trying to add some muscle will be a good idea and will aid further atempts at getting leaner..you can try the anabolic diet if you are scared of fat gain.