DIY supplements using bulk powders

Muckl3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This probably a stupid question but wanting to ask you guys in case there’s something I’m missing due to weights of powders or ways they need to be mixed.
So what I’m wanting to do is mix some powders together and use in a tub so it easy to just take a few scoops and move on instead of opening up bags and taking from each, might seem lazy but I’m all about productivity and have very little time.

So say Eaa, glycine, taurine, creatine....... Can I just put them in a tub and shake enough to mix or would it be better to put everything in a blender? Any guys do this themselves?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This probably a stupid question but wanting to ask you guys in case there’s something I’m missing due to weights of powders or ways they need to be mixed.
So what I’m wanting to do is mix some powders together and use in a tub so it easy to just take a few scoops and move on instead of opening up bags and taking from each, might seem lazy but I’m all about productivity and have very little time.

So say Eaa, glycine, taurine, creatine....... Can I just put them in a tub and shake enough to mix or would it be better to put everything in a blender? Any guys do this themselves?
Blender absolutely. Blending powders is tricky. I know it’s a pain in the ass bc I have to do it every single day lol but you’re best served just taking the extra 3-4 minutes and scooping everything individually as needed to ensure you’re getting the right amounts.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Blender absolutely. Blending powders is tricky. I know it’s a pain in the ass bc I have to do it every single day lol but you’re best served just taking the extra 3-4 minutes and scooping everything individually as needed to ensure you’re getting the right amounts.
Agreed. It does take longer but at least you know you are getting the same dosage every time versus blending it all up and not knowing it you're overloading on one thing.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's likely better to just scoop them individually if you aren't sure you blended it well enough. For things like creatine, glycine, taurine, etc. where the doses are all relatively large, relatively similar, and have high safety thresholds, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you got a scoop of the mix that wasn't perfectly evenly distributed, but over time you'd want to be sure you're getting enough of each, so proper mixing is very important. But the issue can become magnified and much more crucial for even one use when you start adding things that either have less broad/wide safety thresholds and/or ingredients that aren't all relatively evenly dosed. Like if you add caffeine to taurine; you don't want double the caffeine you expect, and if it's not mixed well, since there is so much more taurine than caffeine, it'd be entirely possible for you to get all taurine and no caffeine in a scoop, or to get way too much caffeine in the scoop if it's not perfectly mixed. I hop that makes some sense haha.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It's likely better to just scoop them individually if you aren't sure you blended it well enough. For things like creatine, glycine, taurine, etc. where the doses are all relatively large, relatively similar, and have high safety thresholds, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you got a scoop of the mix that wasn't perfectly evenly distributed, but over time you'd want to be sure you're getting enough of each, so proper mixing is very important. But the issue can become magnified and much more crucial for even one use when you start adding things that either have less broad/wide safety thresholds and/or ingredients that aren't all relatively evenly dosed. Like if you add caffeine to taurine; you don't want double the caffeine you expect, and if it's not mixed well, since there is so much more taurine than caffeine, it'd be entirely possible for you to get all taurine and no caffeine in a scoop, or to get way too much caffeine in the scoop if it's not perfectly mixed. I hop that makes some sense haha.
Agreed. I’d never try to blend things on my own. Always go with individually scooping so you know exactly what you’re getting

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are going to do this, and don't have a lot of equipment I would do it this way (and I have) - weigh out, for instance, 100 doses of each powder. Put them all in a large zip lock bag. Shake the zip lock bag, turn it around, flip it, turn it - and do this for a while. Then, lay the bag flat on the counter and get all the air out of it and get the powder to lay flat in the bag and re-seal it. Then take a roller pin and roll the sh1t out of the bag in every direction. Keep an eye out for ANY clumps. Even little tiny clumps. Once you've spent some time doing this, throw it in a blender, blend it up, and then put it back in the bag and do it all over again.

I would not rely on this for anything that has small doses - like under 50 mg. If you're doing it with something that has over 250-500 mg doses and taking 2-3X the dose won't be dangerous (creatine, glycine, etc. fit this.) then I think you should be safe.

The other consideration, however, is caking. Over time, this powder will clump and harden, etc. and require more mixing.

Or, you could just scoop each individually and know you are getting more precise doses .....although scooping isn't precise to begin with.

Jdforsy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I may be going down this route now that ergonine has been discontinued.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 0
Peptide/Research 1
mTOR25 Anabolics 5
Supplements 1
Peptide/Research 4