digestive issues while bulking

sbyrd292

Awards
I am currently bulking at around 4000+ cals/day, eating around 250g of protein/day(I weigh around 205lbs for reference). This is putting my guts through a lot of stress. I constantly feel bloated and I am constantly passing gas, and I'm afraid that I'm not absorbing all the food i'm putting into my system. Are there any supplements I can take that can relieve some of my stomach issues or do I have no choice but to lower my protein intake? Thanks!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Seems like a lot of calories to increase to all at once. You might want to slowly increase to this. As far as for gas and bloating, you could get a gas x or some digestive enzymes to help, but it might be something your body will do with that much intake.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When bulking you want to choose carbs that are easily digestible.. simple carbs like rice,potatoes,oats,cream of wheat/rice etc. People over complicate their diet and add stuff that isn’t necessarily optimal for digestion. Also... I don’t know if you climbed up to 4000 or if you went straight to 4000 which would certainly be the cause of a certain distress.. but 4000 calories is NOT that much food and shouldn’t cause "crazy stomach stress". Every morning gut supplement like revive gut or whatever cheaper I guess if you can’t afford it and glutamine 20-30g daily in the morning. Every morning I’ll have greens + my gut supps + glutamine before food, as well as 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar on the side. I’ll do cardio after with eeas and only an hour or so later will I have first meal. Strongly suggest digestive enzymes every meal if you’re having issues. The main goal is to get only easily digestible meal and find what works for you but one thing that people often do is that is misunderstood is they start a bulk with their gut health and digestive system working like crap and far from optimal. That’s often the biggest issue as it will follow you allllll your bulk and will only get worse.

Last edited:
CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Great advice above. Mathb33 knows his stuff. How old are you and how clean is your diet? I used to be able to eat garbage and feel ok. Now if I eat something like bar food I'm not right for a few days. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if my body has just adapted to eating clean now.

sbyrd292

Awards
When bulking you want to choose carbs that are easily digestible.. simple carbs like rice,potatoes,oats,cream of wheat/rice etc. People over complicate their diet and add stuff that isn’t necessarily optimal for digestion. Also... I don’t know if you climbed up to 4000 or if you went straight to 4000 which would certainly be the cause of a certain distress.. but 4000 calories is NOT that much food and shouldn’t cause "crazy stomach stress". Every morning gut supplement like revive gut or whatever cheaper I guess if you can’t afford it and glutamine 20-30g daily in the morning. Every morning I’ll have greens + my gut supps + glutamine before food, as well as 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar on the side. I’ll do cardio after with eeas and only an hour or so later will I have first meal. Strongly suggest digestive enzymes every meal if you’re having issues. The main goal is to get only easily digestible meal and find what works for you but one thing that people often do is that is misunderstood is they start a bulk with their gut health and digestive system working like crap and far from optimal. That’s often the biggest issue as it will follow you allllll your bulk and will only get worse.
I usually mix between clean easy digesting carbs and dirtier sources, I can't really afford to eat completely clean but I try my best, obviously the goal here is to pack on as much size as possible. I have been very slowly increasing my intake over several months and am trying to get into the 5-6,000 calorie range(if I can manage to afford that), I guess the solution here is to try the gut supplements you mentioned and if that doesn't alleviate at least some of the issues i'll start cutting the junk as much as possible as I don't see any other explanation as to why this is happening, thanks for the advice my man

sbyrd292

Awards
Great advice above. Mathb33 knows his stuff. How old are you and how clean is your diet? I used to be able to eat garbage and feel ok. Now if I eat something like bar food I'm not right for a few days. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if my body has just adapted to eating clean now.
i'm 18yrs and my diet is a somewhat mixed bag, i'm really bad at managing my schedule between bodybuilding, a full time job, and being in multiple bands so I eat whatever's convenient to me at the time. I'd say on average I eat half clean and half dirty

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I usually mix between clean easy digesting carbs and dirtier sources, I can't really afford to eat completely clean but I try my best, obviously the goal here is to pack on as much size as possible. I have been very slowly increasing my intake over several months and am trying to get into the 5-6,000 calorie range(if I can manage to afford that), I guess the solution here is to try the gut supplements you mentioned and if that doesn't alleviate at least some of the issues i'll start cutting the junk as much as possible as I don't see any other explanation as to why this is happening, thanks for the advice my man
I understand but there’s nothing cheaper than rice or oatmeal or cream of rice/wheat. Eating dirty will be wayyy more expensive. Yes eating clean means eating more volume and it’s harder but you your main goal is to identify what upsets your digestion and to eliminate it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Meat and rice, bro.

And when I say meat, that’s white fish, chicken, turkey, tuna, beef, whatever combination you prefer that seems to work (you can mix it up for variety and digestive ease, fish one meal and beef the next or whatever). Throw an egg meal in and drizzle olive oil on things if it’s not enough and you don’t want to eat more rice.

You can make it more complex than that, swap in some potatoes, have veggies & fruits and add more diversity, but if you are trying to streamline digestion to prioritize bulking, that’s the core that will never lead you astray.

ugsavage

ugsavage

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I am currently bulking at around 4000+ cals/day, eating around 250g of protein/day(I weigh around 205lbs for reference). This is putting my guts through a lot of stress. I constantly feel bloated and I am constantly passing gas, and I'm afraid that I'm not absorbing all the food i'm putting into my system. Are there any supplements I can take that can relieve some of my stomach issues or do I have no choice but to lower my protein intake? Thanks!
I don't think you need exactly 250 grams of protein per day. That seems like an average number for daily protein intake but not everyone responds well to a high protein diet. Add in more good quality carbs like rice, sweet potato, and oatmeal. This way your getting fast and slow releasing carbs, and your getting enough fiber.

I have had some success with probiotics, however only when I can afford them. I would recommend something for glucose disposal as well. Even something like ALA can really help with indigestion and heartburn

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s pricy, but Biooptimizers makes the best enzyme and probiotic formula. That would alleviate bloat, and other guy issues.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
First off, if you're bulking (putting on weight every day), then some gas is normal. Of course, you're putting stress on your digestive tract. What you can do is, eliminate the food that's causing the bloat and gas. This is all trial and error and you'll have to find out what works for you and what doesn't. No one here will be able to give you a straight answer and tell you what will work.

What you could do is, add some ground cinnamon, garlic, ginger in all your meals. Glutamine 10+ gms should help you a bit with your digestive health. Use a digestive enzyme and a GDA supplement.

Stay away from dirty bulking. That again could be an issue with your digestion. Good luck.

Toff

Awards
  • Established
Prebiotics (chicory root powder in a drink/coffee) and digestive enzymes will help

then for the bloat and gas, peppermint oil 3 liquid caps.

lionking999

lionking999

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Highly recommend digestive enzymes and please look into the low fodmap diet. did wonders for me

ugsavage

ugsavage

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I second digestive enzymes. However only if your getting enough fiber through your diet and still experiencing issues. I know that when digestive enzymes are added to protein powder and weight gainers they make a huge difference as well