Did I strain my chest?

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So long story short, last year I was doing relatively heavy bench cluster sets of 10 with 315 (which I had been for a solid 2 weeks or so) goal was to hit 10 cluster singles on each prescribed workout till Id done 2-4 solid sets of 10 before moving up. Anyhow, one day I was on rep 4-5 going smooth and on the way up I felt a weird popping sensation in my R pec, of course my first thought was pec tear or tendon rupture. But no swelling/bruising and only moderate pain convinced me otherwise, i moved away from horizontal pushing for sometime and recovered okay slowly making my way back to the bench and recovering over the past year or so.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago, I was finally feeling okay and strong enough to start hitting the bench again, I worked my way back up to a moderate bench and decided to start a program to get my strength back up post hunting season. Well all had been well (moved back into doing sets of 275x3 then 4,5 and then up to 290x4, ect)and come last couple push workouts I started feeling a tightness in my R upper pec. Last weeks workout I had to abandoned all together just out of precaution with the odd sensation and slight pain on contraction. Gave it a week off and felt stiff but warmed up well today and hit it again, slowly working my way up, 225 felt like 135 and 275 like 225, feeling great. After the feeler at 275 i move to 290 and by the second rep the tightness is developing again, so needless to chest portion of my push day was abandoned once again...

So that begs the question, did i partially tear my pec back then and now just re straining it? It’s super frustrating that with all that time I feel strong and ready to work but it’s as if my pec can’t take it.

Any ideas? Besides the obvious “rest and go light.” I’m talking long term and getting back to it.

TIA

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Sounds about right for a strained muscle. Years ago I strained my right quad during squats and it's now a recurring theme if I don't take time to warm up carefully. Take more time to stretch prior to lifting and perform numerous light sets with slow controlled high reps to increase blood flow to the target muscle before loading up for your working sets. It's normal to be at risk of recurrence at the same loads as the first injury so load up incrementally without big jumps between sets. I found training just below that load threshold for a period of time is also beneficial. Basically slow and Most importantly taking care of your muscles and training smart needs to become routine for long term health.