Deficit to Conventional Conversion

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thoughts on what percentage of your conventional deadlift you can deficit?
I assume it's not 100%. But maybe you're special.

I'm thinking of making these a bigger staple possibly for a few weeks since I feel like my conventional is approaching peak. My last 3 rep set was definitely a grind. I'll also want to work in rack pulls, although I haven't decided if they'll be the same day or week as my deficits or if I'll cycle. I used to go:

week 1 = deadlift intensity
week 2 = deficit
week 3 = rack pulls
week 4 = deadlift volume

or some mix of that, but not the same method two weeks in a row. however I used to always find that a pull over 405lbs meant I was empty tank next week. I no longer have that issue, (probably because my volume is lower these days intentionally).

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have nothing helpful to add, except I've been wanting to add rack pulls and trap bar deads in, but just for fun.

Well, I actually did at one time do traditional deadlift, followed by rack pull same training session because I liked rack pull more...felt it more in my traps and such.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s going to depend on the individual and other factors but probably between 5-15% off normal numbers.

In the end the best but maybe not the easiest answer is just to train it and track it and the more data points you have the better you’ll be able to determine your own personal percentages between lifts. I’m lazier now and do a lot more by feel but I have old RPE charts for various lifts and accessories that I’d update at the end of training cycles (what you track is athlete dependent).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It’s going to depend on the individual and other factors but probably between 5-15% off normal numbers.

In the end the best but maybe not the easiest answer is just to train it and track it and the more data points you have the better you’ll be able to determine your own personal percentages between lifts. I’m lazier now and do a lot more by feel but I have old RPE charts for various lifts and accessories that I’d update at the end of training cycles (what you track is athlete dependent).
I keep reading anywhere from 10% to 25%. putting at theory a 400lb deficit pull at a 440-500lb max conventional pull. which is a huge variance.

But my 415 x 3 conventional pull last week felt similar to about 385+ at a 2" deficit this week.
400lb pull at 2" deficit was a grind and I did not attempt 2 more reps.

I'm hoping that by training deficits for a few weeks that going back to conventional I'll blow through that 415 x 3.
All time best is like 455 and I want to train through that for a 500.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't know the percentage difference but I can mid shin rack pull about 50lbs more then my deadlift and 2in deficit is about 50lbs less then conventional. No special reason I use those heights other then that's what I have at my disposal

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't know the percentage difference but I can mid shin rack pull about 50lbs more then my deadlift and 2in deficit is about 50lbs less then conventional. No special reason I use those heights other then that's what I have at my disposal
those sound about right. to the best of my knowledge:

When my deadlift was 430
My rack pull was about 475 x 3+
And currently at 385 with a 2" deficit
Currently at 410-415 for sets of 3-5 conventional.
So all of this puts me around a 1rm of 450+ which is my old PR before I tore a ligament.

I'll probably go rack pulls this week and see where we are there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Don’t put too much stock in calculators. All that matters is what you feel correlates for YOU. And that can change over time.

I’ve had phases where my 3-4” blockpull was basically as difficult as pulling from the floor - I was that much stronger off the floor, so Blockpulls were actually a weakness and really helped me develop upper back strength instead of relying on my leg drive off the floor to carry me through.

And if you are in a period where you’re much better at reps, knowing a 9-rep max may not really stack up if you can’t keep it together under the estimated 1RM.

So I’m just saying, just try to focus on what trends you believe in for you.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
that makes sense. I feel like my form off the floor has improved DRASTICALLY this year and I'm losing my back far less. I'm thinking that's the rows, RDL's, and deficits building some better upper back lock out strength.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
that makes sense. I feel like my form off the floor has improved DRASTICALLY this year and I'm losing my back far less. I'm thinking that's the rows, RDL's, and deficits building some better upper back lock out strength.
I corrected my off the floor issues with deficits and pause right off the floor deadlifts. My best training cycle was with those quite often before going back to just building on the main lift.