Dealing with injury on cycle

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
Hey yall,

I somehow tweaked my back and it feels like a spinal injury potentially. No real pain per say but constant discomfort. I got an x ray and it came back negative, but the pain is still there and the doc wants me to get a cat scan or MRI.

Honestly its just uncomfortable but doesnt hurt. Would you guys keep lifting through the minor discomfort? He gave me some pain pills and muscle relaxers, im hoping i can still lift and just ice through it, id hate to waste a ton of gear when my x rays came back fine.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
An x-ray is just to see if you fractured bone, but won't typically catch soft tissue damage. That's what you need the MRI for. I would follow up with that and then make your decision to try and work through it or stop now to prevent more damage later.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey yall,

I somehow tweaked my back and it feels like a spinal injury potentially. No real pain per say but constant discomfort. I got an x ray and it came back negative, but the pain is still there and the doc wants me to get a cat scan or MRI.

Honestly its just uncomfortable but doesnt hurt. Would you guys keep lifting through the minor discomfort? He gave me some pain pills and muscle relaxers, im hoping i can still lift and just ice through it, id hate to waste a ton of gear when my x rays came back fine.
I would. the body has an amazing ability to heal itself and if it doesn't get better over a certain time period, then seek out help. if its soft tissue physical therapy of some kind can help the injury heal itself.

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
I agree with essentially what you guys are saying. Ive looked up quite a good bit of info on herniated discs now and most physical therapists say the worst thing you can do is remain dormant.

The discs/ sciatica or whatever require load or tension on them to repair. That said i think ill unfortunately have to lay off squats and deadlifts which will suck. I think i can do cable tows, pullups, dumbell rows with my chest on a bench... ill figure out back.

But i have no clue how to work legs without squats lol. Leg curls and leg extensions all day? Smdh sad

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with essentially what you guys are saying. Ive looked up quite a good bit of info on herniated discs now and most physical therapists say the worst thing you can do is remain dormant.

The discs/ sciatica or whatever require load or tension on them to repair. That said i think ill unfortunately have to lay off squats and deadlifts which will suck. I think i can do cable tows, pullups, dumbell rows with my chest on a bench... ill figure out back.

But i have no clue how to work legs without squats lol. Leg curls and leg extensions all day? Smdh sad
Look into chiropractors as well. I avoided them for years before finding one that helped me a lot. The key is to avoid the ones that are all about crystals and crap that will do the exact same thing to everybody that comes in their door. Look specifically for a chiropractor that specializes in athletes and rehab. If you happen to be in Dallas or Seattle, I can recommend places to go.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

leg press (just do not let your form break - i.e. lower back or butt off the seat)... currently going through nearly the same thing as you. Foam rolling my back pre and post workout (as well as first thing in the morning when I can) has helped a ton.

Davy25

Davy25

Awards
  • Established
leg press (just do not let your form break - i.e. lower back or butt off the seat)... currently going through nearly the same thing as you. Foam rolling my back pre and post workout (as well as first thing in the morning when I can) has helped a ton.
Had my first lift today *shoulders* and damn did it get tight. It really just felt like there was a bunch of weight on my neck. Not like pump tight but like loading 400 on the squat bar.

Ill definetly look into foam rolling. Im currently icing and debating if i should even take the muscle relaxers the doc gave me if im on orals... idk if flexeril is hepatoxic and i cant find really anything on the internet about it *only looked briefly*. Honestly the meds just mask the problem and dont do anything to cure it.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Had my first lift today *shoulders* and damn did it get tight. It really just felt like there was a bunch of weight on my neck. Not like pump tight but like loading 400 on the squat bar.

Ill definetly look into foam rolling. Im currently icing and debating if i should even take the muscle relaxers the doc gave me if im on orals... idk if flexeril is hepatoxic and i cant find really anything on the internet about it *only looked briefly*. Honestly the meds just mask the problem and dont do anything to cure it.
it hasn't really been shown to be hepatotoxic, but the PI notes a few instances of liver issues in patients and has some warnings for patients with existing liver impairment

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey yall,

Stop training till you know what's up. You don't wanna have a bad back. If you can find a few exercise that are pain free do them with a lighter weight. Usually trying to work around a bad injury is a fail