Deadlift program?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone know a fun/good deadlift program that’s just not a 1000 sets/reps of deadlift?

I’m progressing pretty well on my deadlift with a basic 5/3/1 program but sometimes I get either bored with accessories or not knowing what to do (I do but you know what I mean) and just go on what I feel like doing for accessories. So I’m look for a program that includes accessories.

Thanks for any recommendation!

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think there isn't and couldn't be a DL program with the accessories already in place for an experienced lifter, cause' the accessories should be chosen based on the lifters weaknesses regarding DL.

This doesn't fit well to your request for program with accessories, but if your programming otherwise allows, you could try deadlifting more often with the 5-3-1. DL 2 x week or 2 x week / 1 x week on alternating weeks. That would leave less room for accessories though, wether you see it as good or bad. If you're squatting hard, DL 2 x week might be too much.

I really like the 5-3-1 for DL and squat and while I haven't tried doing DL 2 x week, squatting 2 x week with the 5-3-1 works best for me in terms of frequency (I've tried 1 x week and 3 x week too).

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think there isn't and couldn't be a DL program with the accessories already in place for an experienced lifter, cause' the accessories should be chosen based on the lifters weaknesses regarding DL.

This doesn't fit well to your request for program with accessories, but if your programming otherwise allows, you could try deadlifting more often with the 5-3-1. DL 2 x week or 2 x week / 1 x week on alternating weeks. That would leave less room for accessories though, wether you see it as good or bad. If you're squatting hard, DL 2 x week might be too much.

I really like the 5-3-1 for DL and squat and while I haven't tried doing DL 2 x week, squatting 2 x week with the 5-3-1 works best for me in terms of frequency (I've tried 1 x week and 3 x week too).
the madcow program was one of the best for my deadlift. Ramping up to one balls out set of 5 each week really agreed with me (I was also on trest).

agree with @KvanH on the accessories though. They will depend on your individual weaknesses and even whether you pull sumo or conventional plus your ability to recover (for example, I’m not a huge fan of good mornings after heavy deads as I pull conventional and it smokes my lower back but I use them a lot with people who pull sumo).

I also think there’s great benefit in switching style and building up the one who don’t do.

in terms of general accessories imo some good ones are

- paused at sticking point
- rack pulls if you struggle with lock out
- glute ham raises
- heavy kb swings (under rated imo)
- cable pull throughs
- good mornings
- seated good mornings
- Rdl’s obviously
- bottoms up RDL
- single leg deadlift (like these as a warm up as well)
- hip thrusts
- isometric pulls (awesome if you struggle off the floor and set low)
- banded deadlifts (again for lockout)
- speed pulls (at 50% ish)
- banded (band pulling away) deadlift (great to really force you to keep the bar in close, I used these a lot at one stage as the bar used to drift away from me

just a few ideas anyway

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for the advices but I found a program by Ed Coan that I started, it’s 10 weeks and it looks like it is what I wanted. Hopefully it works out the way I hope so I pull 600 after I’m done :)

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
the madcow program was one of the best for my deadlift. Ramping up to one balls out set of 5 each week really agreed with me (I was also on trest).
I second this. Madcow has helped me break deadlift PRs multiple times.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I Squat 3x per seven day week and DL afterwards as CNS/muscles are conditioned for working with heavy weight. No need for warmups and go right into typically working weight. 4 sets of 6-8 reps and add 5lb each side with each set. Usually takes a month to move up to a new starting weight. Growth is exponential when at the Advanced level. I am at 2x body weight to provide an idea.

Tried DLing the usual starting weight on chest day as someone left the bar/weights on the mat and it felt much heavier compared to already doing a squat session where full body range muscles are heavily engaged and accustomed to stress.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I Squat 3x per seven day week and DL afterwards as CNS/muscles are conditioned for working with heavy weight. No need for warmups and go right into typically working weight. 4 sets of 6-8 reps and add 5lb each side with each set. Usually takes a month to move up to a new starting weight. Growth is exponential when at the Advanced level. I am at 2x body weight to provide an idea.

Tried DLing the usual starting weight on chest day as someone left the bar/weights on the mat and it felt much heavier compared to already doing a squat session where full body range muscles are heavily engaged and accustomed to stress.
I usually do a few light sets of DL after squats but I push it pretty hard on both so it’s better to do it on separate days. I squat and DL a bit over 2x body weight already and working towards weights over 600. I feel it’s necessary to program, and log, your weights when you coming up to a certain weight and want to break new PR’s. I found a DL program I like and it works well so far.

Thanks for your input.