mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1431130680.467059.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1431130692.899133.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1431130706.249604.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1431130715.218316.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1431130727.215612.jpg

Pictures above you can see the rounding in my back whilst deadlifting. My question is, how do I overcome this problem? Or if it even is a problem? I need to tighten my form as I am wanting to compete in powerlifting in the near future!
Any advice is welcome!
Thanks in advance!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is your back like this when you go lighter?!

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
Are you able to keep a straight back while doing SLDLs or bent over BB rows when you go over 100kg?

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing you need to spend more time developing your lats, traps, and core. You're letting your shoulders pull forward.

If you can't do a proper STIFF leg DL (not straight) you should work on these to train your back to stay straight and hinge at the hip. ...and build some monster hams. Combine these with some heavy a** rack pulls focusing on using your lats and traps.

...worked for me anyway.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Post a video, please.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
I'm guessing you need to spend more time developing your lats, traps, and core. You're letting your shoulders pull forward.

If you can't do a proper STIFF leg DL (not straight) you should work on these to train your back to stay straight and hinge at the hip. ...and build some monster hams. Combine these with some heavy a** rack pulls focusing on using your lats and traps.

...worked for me anyway.
Should I work on specific rep ranges for these exercises?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It looks like your set up is all wrong and rushed. I sit back a lot lower when I set up, make sure my back is straight, and I am tight before anything.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's like your hips aren't tight at all and you're all back. Acquire more tension at setup and don't jerk the bar.

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
It looks like your set up is all wrong and rushed. I sit back a lot lower when I set up, make sure my back is straight, and I am tight before anything.
It's like your hips aren't tight at all and you're all back. Acquire more tension at setup and don't jerk the bar.
Both of these.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1431190422.845400.jpg

At the start you're already rounded over.

Sit your a** back & tighten up. Get tension on the bar by pulling with your lats, not jerking from your lower back.

HardB0iled

HardB0iled

Awards
  • Established
Should I work on specific rep ranges for these exercises?
I like...
SLDLs
5x10 working up to 315 with 4/1/1/1count

The ONLY movement should be at your hips and shoulders! Concentrate on keeping your stomach tight and your back straight.

I do rack pulls after my regular deadlifts session. As heavy as I can for low or single reps.

mynameisdiwas

mynameisdiwas

Awards
I'll put these advice into my next deadlift session and will let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks all, great amount of information and all so quick!

Caleb87

Awards
Something else that helps the upper back and traps while deadlifting is snatch grip deadlifts. It's a great assistance lift for the dl however you will find that the amount of weight lifted is MUCH less. Just a thought

napalm

napalm

Awards
Whoa, to start, stop that EXTREME hyperextension at the end. It does nothing for for the lift and contributes to hitching.

You have lot of unnecessary movement that is just draining energy.

Like puccah said, work on your set up, that's the biggest problem I see. And like Sean said, get tight. And stay tight.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://youtu.be/X9VUJEEec2o

The previous video was two months ago, this was about two weeks ago! Just putting this here to see if anything else needs to be addressed!
Your set up is still wrong. Like Sean said, you're all back. I don't see leg drive or anything. Go check out some of the powerlifters on here. They have videos up and you can see how they set up.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
snatch grip deadlifts will help a lot. it will hammer the traps, lats, and glutes which will help you start off tight and stay tight.