Deadlift form check

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
The form is not great. My hips are the first to shoot up. I'm still very new to the powerlifting game, been around lifting for quite awhile.
As reference, I am the artist formerly known as bnatural.
[video=youtube;sc9M-xOOQwI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9M-xOOQwI[/video]

Contemplating moving to sumo, this is conventional.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It did not look terrible but, yeah the hips move a bit first, which can put the hips farther away or back some from the bar which can also hinder lockout.
If you keep the hips down and the bar moves first, you drive the heels into floor, drive hips forward while driving the shoulders up and back in all one fluid motion.
Hard to tell from that angle how close you are to the bar, or where the bar is in relation to your shoes. The closer ones gets to the bar, without hindering at the start, the better you stay to the center of the body's gravity and better leverages.
If the hips come up, it can have you rounding the back or not staying super tight, which also makes lockout tougher.
Your head could be a bit more neutral perhaps. Looking out at the floor about 10' or 15' in front of you.

IMO, drill lighter weights cementing the form in (not so light that you are not working hard sets of x5's can work fine) and practicing the proper step by step execution from breaking the weight off the floor to lockout, whilst getting the reps/work in.
Overtime your entire pos chain will strengthen as you slowly move into heavier and heavier weights.

As far as sumo!? You can certainly do both for a bit and see which one is best. Usually sumo, is more advantageous for longer waisted, perhaps shorter legged guys, since the lever from the shoulders to hip hinge is longer, so pulling in a more upright position, makes that lever shorter or easier to manage.

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
It did not look terrible but, yeah the hips move a bit first, which can put the hips farther away or back some from the bar which can also hinder lockout.
If you keep the hips down and the bar moves first, you drive the heels into floor, drive hips forward while driving the shoulders up and back in all one fluid motion.
Hard to tell from that angle how close you are to the bar, or where the bar is in relation to your shoes. The closer ones gets to the bar, without hindering at the start, the better you stay to the center of the body's gravity and better leverages.
If the hips come up, it can have you rounding the back or not staying super tight, which also makes lockout tougher.
Your head could be a bit more neutral perhaps. Looking out at the floor about 10' or 15' in front of you.

IMO, drill lighter weights cementing the form in (not so light that you are not working hard sets of x5's can work fine) and practicing the proper step by step execution from breaking the weight off the floor to lockout, whilst getting the reps/work in.
Overtime your entire pos chain will strengthen as you slowly move into heavier and heavier weights.

As far as sumo!? You can certainly do both for a bit and see which one is best. Usually sumo, is more advantageous for longer waisted, perhaps shorter legged guys, since the lever from the shoulders to hip hinge is longer, so pulling in a more upright position, makes that lever shorter or easier to manage.
appreciate the insight and will put to good use.
need to keep the cue of "snap the neck" in my head along with a few others.

I do have a long torso and short legs, however I originally like the feel of conventional, it felt like more of a lift.
From a powerlifting standpoint it has not created the shortest distance between A and B while remaining powerful though.
Definitely will be utilizing both to see which I can nail down better.

thanks again!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
need to keep ain!the cue of "snap the neck" in my head along with a few others.
I don't think I am familiar with that one^.
I have heard "pack the neck or the chin" but not snap it!?

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
I don't think I am familiar with that one^.
I have heard "pack the neck or the chin" but not snap it!?
Essentially pulling the chin into the neck, most likely the same cue you referred to, just different name.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sink those hips a bit before you start your motion. Then fire into the bar

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
Sink those hips a bit before you start your motion. Then fire into the bar
noted.
definitely looking to perfect form asap.
I have my first meet in 2 weeks. It's a very local meet, so I'm focusing on getting my feet wet with this meet.
I decided to do powerlifting after my recent physique contest (weird, right?) and once I set my mind on something I pretty much have to do it. Otherwise, I'd hold off.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good luck to you!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do have a long torso and short legs, however I originally like the feel of conventional, it felt like more of a lift.
From a powerlifting standpoint it has not created the shortest distance between A and B while remaining powerful though.
Definitely will be utilizing both to see which I can nail down better.
I am pretty much exclusively a conventional puller and built for it, if nothing else.
I am not a sumologist but Sean, Rodja, Herderdude (to name a few) know a few things about where the hips et al need to be with that kind of pulling.

All the best at your meet...!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
hips coming up at the start IMO means your quads are not strong enough. your body is going with the path of least resistance, or in this case what is strongest, which is not your quads here.

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
hips coming up at the start IMO means your quads are not strong enough. your body is going with the path of least resistance, or in this case what is strongest, which is not your quads here.
It explains why I struggle with squats out of the hole though

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to get another video to where shin angle can be seen. It could be that the bar is too far ahead of you. What shoes are you wearing?

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]First pic: you're starting to come up. Hips are in line with elbows and not lower; head already coming up before the body or the bar. [/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
image.jpg

Second pic: hips almost seem to go up and back, ; notice your head position also. Seems to be mostly upper body and a lot of straining.

image.jpg
[/FONT]

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You need to get another video to where shin angle can be seen. It could be that the bar is too far ahead of you.
I concur

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
You need to get another video to where shin angle can be seen. It could be that the bar is too far ahead of you. What shoes are you wearing?
Off brand converse style shoes. Flat. Very little sole.

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
new video/new day: [video=youtube_share;q2G4ThItkkM]http://youtu.be/q2G4ThItkkM[/video]

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it looks too bad... Only thing I can really tell from that angle is that your open hand your left arm you're keeping it slightly bent you want to make sure that arm is 100% straight because that's the easiest way to turn that bicep right off the bone.

I'd like to see another video from a little further away so we can see what your back is doing during the motion because from down there I can only really tell about waist down what's going on.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion the difference between you running sumo and conventional would be which is stronger. Your legs and hips or your back? If its You're back then conventional is more of the way to go. Like I said a video of your full body would help out immensely.