"Dead" skin after weight loss

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Was always heavy growing up - lost mass amounts of weight many times and gained back more each time. At 26 yrs I was 400lbs and 5'7" with a 56" waste. Someone explained to me that muscle burns calories and that the slower I lose weight the more muscle I will retain. I went on to lose 270lbs slowly over 4 years. I had some loose skin at the base of the abdomen which I did get removed. No other loose skin anywhere - to speak of except the inside of my legs. I should post before and after pics. Slow loss is the key to less loose skin along with lots of exercise and water. I am now 50 yrs and 240lbs and about 17% bodyfat. I can eat what I want when I want. Anyone who loses allot of weight and does it quick or even somewhat quick is left with a lowered (damaged) metabolism that will lead to them gfaining even more weight.
This is exactly the opposite to what this snakediet guy states - thus video sums up the guy pretty well imo. According to him extreme fast weight loss is the only way to deal with loose skin.

Wondering at what point he’ll actually give any sort of scientific explanation or point to any proper study which backs his point up.......

https://youtu.be/FsOBhLRJjAE

Autophagy isn’t fully understood yet, I’ve looked and can find NO studies that support a reduction in loose skin. The whole cell destruction and repair aspect might have benefits but it looks like many experts believe the fast needs to be 4-5 days before those mechanisms ramp up (so fasting for 3 wouldn’t do sh1t).

I’m always looking to learn and it’s been interesting that you’ve raised it but I personally don’t feel it’s fair to be telling people that this WILL deal with loose skin. There’s just no meaningful evidence and it’s a very extreme approach.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
This is exactly the opposite to what this snakediet guy states - thus video sums up the guy pretty well imo. According to him extreme fast weight loss is the only way to deal with loose skin.

Wondering at what point he’ll actually give any sort of scientific explanation or point to any proper study which backs his point up.......

https://youtu.be/FsOBhLRJjAE

Autophagy isn’t fully understood yet, I’ve looked and can find NO studies that support a reduction in loose skin. The whole cell destruction and repair aspect might have benefits but it looks like many experts believe the fast needs to be 4-5 days before those mechanisms ramp up (so fasting for 3 wouldn’t do sh1t).

I’m always looking to learn and it’s been interesting that you’ve raised it but I personally don’t feel it’s fair to be telling people that this WILL deal with loose skin. There’s just no meaningful evidence and it’s a very extreme approach.
I understand. I would have though their would be have been scientific evidence to support this (one way or another) - however, I have never cared to look.

I lost significant amounts of weight 100-200lbs 4 times between the ages of 9-20. Those weight losses were assisted via weight loss clinic type places - in each case I lost about 3-4lbs a week on average (which I consider way too fast). In each case, I was left with hanging skin under my arms in other areas where the slow weight loss (.5-1lb per week) did not produce. Also in each case, I ended up gaining more and more weight - due to muscle loss (science says muscle burns calories at rest). I worked hard and lost much of the best years of my life to wieght problems and wish I had done it the last way the first time. The damage done to your body and mind by losing and gaining weight is significant. I am now 50 years old and since the age of 28 or so - I have helped many people (I would say oever a hundred to be conservative) lose weight (and gain weight) - none of them ever successfully kept off weight that was lost quickly. And the quicker the weight loss - the more loose skin - every single time. Again, this is what I have observed through my journey. Take it or leave - people need to make their own decisions.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Are people actually suggesting that your body will use excess skin as a fuel source during fasting? I’d love to see an actual reference for that. It’s logical enough that slower weight loss would minimize excess skin, just as slower weight gain is less likely to cause stretch marks than rapid weight gain.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm following this, I've lost 90lbs over the few years. Obviously I have loose skin but I don't pay it no mind. Just keep grinding it out

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
I'm following this, I've lost 90lbs over the few years. Obviously I have loose skin but I don't pay it no mind. Just keep grinding it out
That's awesome bro - what a great attitude.

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just try to keep the muscles full and hard, should be good to go. Only time it's noticeable is when I'm doing push ups or planks....

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established

maybe it’s not the best example but look up the old photos of prisoners from Germans concentration camps who had the lucky to survive.... many of them was overweight they didn’t eat for days/weeks/months basically they was in starvation mode , you not gonna find on their body loose skin , body will always reject what doesn’t need . I’m using intermittent fasting last 5-6 years,on I’m also keto last two years ,through those years I lost few times 20-25 ibs , 2-4 days of eating nothing is not something extraordinary
IF works I do not have lose skin, or at least waaay less than I should have,
Btw I used to be 275 pounds probably 20-30% bf now I’m 200 about 6-7 bf everything is possible....

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
maybe it’s not the best example but look up the old photos of prisoners from Germans concentration camps who had the lucky to survive.... many of them was overweight they didn’t eat for days/weeks/months basically they was in starvation mode , you not gonna find on their body loose skin , body will always reject what doesn’t need . I’m using intermittent fasting last 5-6 years,on I’m also keto last two years ,through those years I lost few times 20-25 ibs , 2-4 days of eating nothing is not something maybe it’s not the best example but look up the old photos of prisoners from Germans concentration camps who had the lucky to survive.... many of them was overweight they didn’t eat for days/weeks/months basically they was in starvation mode , you not gonna find on their body loose skin , body will always reject what doesn’t need . I’m using intermittent fasting last 5-6 years,on I’m also keto last two years ,through those years I lost few times 20-25 ibs , 2-4 days of eating nothing is not maybe it’s not the best example but look up the old photos of prisoners from Germans concentration camps who had the lucky to survive.... many of them was overweight they didn’t eat for days/weeks/months basically they was in starvation mode , you not gonna find on their body loose skin , body will always reject what doesn’t need . I’m using intermittent fasting last 5-6 years,on I’m also keto last two years ,through those years I lost few times 20-25 ibs , 2-4 days of eating nothing for me is not something extraordinary, IF works I do not have lose skin, or at least waaay less than I should have,
Really? Your example is people in concentration camps? By that point they’re literally skin and bones; there’s no muscle or anything left. I’d argue that if you insist on starving yourself long term, you’ll lose far more muscle than skin. I’d also argue that there weren’t as many obese people going into concentration camps as you’d think. First, obesity wasn’t nearly as prevalent in Europe in the 1940s as it is today in, say, America. Furthermore, many Jews were living (forced into) in ghettos and poor and hungry well before being sent to concentration camps, which means that even less people were overweight when entering the camps.

This is a really bad example. Furthermore, do you know what they looked like before reaching the point of literally being on the brink of death? Perhaps they lost tons of fat and muscle and only then did the excess skin start disappearing.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
maybe it’s not the best example but look up the old photos of prisoners from Germans concentration camps who had the lucky to survive.... many of them was overweight they didn’t eat for days/weeks/months basically they was in starvation mode , you not gonna find on their body loose skin , body will always reject what doesn’t need . I’m using intermittent fasting last 5-6 years,on I’m also keto last two years ,through those years I lost few times 20-25 ibs , 2-4 days of eating nothing is not something extraordinary
IF works I do not have lose skin, or at least waaay less than I should have,
Btw I used to be 275 pounds probably 20-30% bf now I’m 200 about 6-7 bf everything is possible....
Soooo, your going for the concentration camp look? Let us know how that goes for you.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Really? Your example is people in concentration camps? By that point they’re literally skin and bones; there’s no muscle or anything left. I’d argue that if you insist on starving yourself long term, you’ll lose far more muscle than skin. I’d also argue that there weren’t as many obese people going into concentration camps as you’d think. First, obesity wasn’t nearly as prevalent in Europe in the 1940s as it is today in, say, America. Furthermore, many Jews were living (forced into) in ghettos and poor and hungry well before being sent to concentration camps, which means that even less people were overweight when entering the camps.

This is a really bad example. Furthermore, do you know what they looked like before reaching the point of literally being on the brink of death? Perhaps they lost tons of fat and muscle and only then did the excess skin start disappearing.
Exactly. Horrible example.

To be honest even that loss of 75 lbs (regardless of method) could easily not leave much in the way of loose skin. Loose skin is dependant on genetics, age, amount of time skin was stretched and amount of weight loss. Normally 100lbs plus is the starting point in terms of weight and bad loose skin issues.

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established

as I said it’s not the best example. what I want to say is that intermittent fasting ( especially long fasting periods) greatly effect loose skin, I know this from my experience. Loosing muscle? most of the guys here is on some sort of PED ( even if they don’t look like which is sad .....DemntedCowboy ) when you on something you don’t have to worry about muscle loss so much. Btw photo or never happened right?
IMG_6021.JPG

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
as I said it’s not the best example. what I want to say is that intermittent fasting ( especially long fasting periods) greatly effect loose skin, I know this from my experience. Loosing muscle? most of the guys here is on some sort of PED ( even if they don’t look like which is sad .....DemntedCowboy ) when you on something you don’t have to worry about muscle loss so much. Btw photo or never happened right? View attachment 167099
Say what you want buddy, but what I have accomplished in 3 years makes me look great. And as far as on anything. I aint on anything and havent been for a few months. Specially when your a disabled vet, recovering from a broken neck and back and having half your face blown off and being told you may never walk again. So, next time you try to call someone out. You might wanna look into their past a bit buddy.

21marine

21marine

Awards
Say what you want buddy, but what I have accomplished in 3 years makes me look great. And as far as on anything. I aint on anything and havent been for a few months. Specially when your a disabled vet, recovering from a broken neck and back and having half your face blown off and being told you may never walk again. So, next time you try to call someone out. You might wanna look into their past a bit buddy.
Where did you serve DemntedCowboy? I was in Iraq in 03 for the initial invasion. Went in through breach point 2 and fought our way North, spent the majority of my time fighting in Nasiriyah. 1st MARDIV infantry.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

as I said it’s not the best example. what I want to say is that intermittent fasting ( especially long fasting periods) greatly effect loose skin, I know this from my experience. Loosing muscle? most of the guys here is on some sort of PED ( even if they don’t look like which is sad .....DemntedCowboy ) when you on something you don’t have to worry about muscle loss so much. Btw photo or never happened right? View attachment 167099
Show me an actual scientific reference showing that fasting has a significant/relevant effect on excess skin relative to similar caloric deficit in a non-fasting diet. So you don’t have excess skin; that proves nothing. Plenty of people have no excess skin after losing weight and never fasting. Your n=1 anecdote proves nothing. Show me even one study man. Also, I know I’m not the biggest guy here by any means, but I’m not on anything either, and never have been haha. You’re in good shape man, so you do what works for you, but let’s be realistic here; you’ve proved nothing about the effect of fasting on excess skin.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was in 1st Cav and served in Iraq in 04-05. Got to Kuwait in December of 03. Served with the 1st Marines in both battles of Fallujah, and the battle of An Najaf based out of Kahdimiyah. Then went back to Iraq in 07-08 with 2nd Inf and was based out of W Rasheed(1st Purple Heart). Then I went to Afghanistan in 09 with the 7th Army based out of Mizan River Providence(2nd Purple Heart) and was subsequently retired after 10 years of service after that tour 21marine

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Two issues here

First - whilst I congratulate anyone on any form of body transformation when it comes to weight loss you, by your own admission only lost 75lbs. With your height and frame that really ain’t much bro. Come back when you’ve carried 140lbs extra for 10+ years and show us how fasting has worked for ya.

Second, calling out a vet, who’s also well respected on here and is making fine progress is just a sh1t move. Honestly, just why would ya.

Personally, and I’m sure others would agree, that if you started posting reference to actual scientific studies then we’d be interested. Just saying you don’t have issues with loose skin (picture of your arms proves nothing by the way, even my arms are vascular and lean AF, it’s the stomach where it impacts) isn’t a solid argument.

IF I agree has benefits btw, I just don’t agree getting rid of loose skin is one of them.

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
for amount of the gear which you put in your body( I saw your log) obviously AAS are not for you...... also I feel sorry for you , I feel your pain injury are sucks a had many ( but not so serious) too

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
Show me an actual scientific reference showing that fasting has a significant/relevant effect on excess skin relative to similar caloric deficit in a non-fasting diet. So you don’t have excess skin; that proves nothing. Plenty of people have no excess skin after losing weight and never fasting. Your n=1 anecdote proves nothing. Show me even one study man. Also, I know I’m not the biggest guy here by any means, but I’m not on anything either, and never have been haha. You’re in good shape man, so you do what works for you, but let’s be realistic here; you’ve proved nothing about the effect of fasting on excess skin.
I do not have scientific proof, I just said this from my experience.

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
Two issues here

First - whilst I congratulate anyone on any form of body transformation when it comes to weight loss you, by your own admission only lost 75lbs. With your height and frame that really ain’t much bro. Come back when you’ve carried 140lbs extra for 10+ years and show us how fasting has worked for ya.

Second, calling out a vet, who’s also well respected on here and is making fine progress is just a sh1t move. Honestly, just why would ya.

Personally, and I’m sure others would agree, that if you started posting reference to actual scientific studies then we’d be interested. Just saying you don’t have issues with loose skin (picture of your arms proves nothing by the way, even my arms are vascular and lean AF, it’s the stomach where it impacts) isn’t a solid argument.

IF I agree has benefits btw, I just don’t agree getting rid of loose skin is one of them.
normally I do not post photos but I will do that , just for you.....

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
for amount of the gear which you put in your body( I saw your log) obviously AAS are not for you...... also I feel sorry for you , I feel your pain injury are sucks a had many ( but not so serious) too
The amount of AAS I put in my body. Lol. You might wanna go back and read a bit better. I run low dosages buddy. And if you truly looked at my logs you would know what I looked like 3 years ago after my injuries

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
The amount of AAS I put in my body. Lol. You might wanna go back and read a bit better. I run low dosages buddy. And if you truly looked at my logs you would know what I looked like 3 years ago after my injuries
I will check this precisely

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do not have scientific proof, I just said this from my experience.
Ok, and it may have worked for you, but I'm sure you'll understand if I don't believe something just because of your n=1 personal experience. Also, how would your personal experience prove anything either way here? The only way that your experience would prove anything is if you lost a lot of weight two separate times; one with fasting and one without, and you had less excess skin while fasting than while not. But even that isn't exactly convincing either, as the situation of regaining and (re)losing weight is a different story entirely, so still, even in this situation, it doesn't really prove anything, as we'd be looking at two different scenarios.

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
Ok, and it may have worked for you, but I'm sure you'll understand if I don't believe something just because of your n=1 personal experience. Also, how would your personal experience prove anything either way here? The only way that your experience would prove anything is if you lost a lot of weight two separate times; one with fasting and one without, and you had less excess skin while fasting than while not. But even that isn't exactly convincing either, as the situation of regaining and (re)losing weight is a different story entirely, so still, even in this situation, it doesn't really prove anything, as we'd be looking at two different scenarios.
you like to argue ....

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you like to argue ....
As opposed to just accepting everything you say as irrefutable facts despite you providing literally zero support except for an irrelevant concentration camp example? Then yeah, I guess I do. At least I'm not the one resorting to personal attacks (like you did with cowboy) instead of providing actual evidence or support for my claims.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The one fact I know the older you get the harder it is to tighten up the skin!!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The one fact I know the older you get the harder it is to tighten up the skin!!
It’s ok bro, just don’t eat or drink (or allow yourself to come into contact with water at all) for 72 hours and guaranteed no loose skin.......apparently lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s ok bro, just don’t eat or drink (or allow yourself to come into contact with water at all) for 72 hours and guaranteed no loose skin.......apparently lol
You’re not wrong; cadavers tend to have pretty tight skin.
857E0177-24D3-4354-B701-920D3E61AD3C-1161-000000CAC5308B8A.jpeg

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now That's Funny !!

Rich Bert

Awards
AMEN Rocket !

Have some loose skin myself, very little but enough. Been to Drs upon Drs. If i diet down a lot and i mean alot 80% of it is gone and its really not noticeable. The only way to really get rid of it permanently is surgery.

Amelia

Awards
I heard some would wipe off the "dead" skin through surgery...

Bignick31985

Awards
Similar boat that I'm in. Lost nearly 100lbs at 30 years old. Excercises and eating good for 3 years and my abdomen looks the same. I can see my upper abs but will never see my lower abs. They are there, lol.

And I really don't want surgery. It's only extremely noticeable if I bend over. And a little at my hips. But it's way way better than being 300lbs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Similar boat that I'm in. Lost nearly 100lbs at 30 years old. Excercises and eating good for 3 years and my abdomen looks the same. I can see my upper abs but will never see my lower abs. They are there, lol.

And I really don't want surgery. It's only extremely noticeable if I bend over. And a little at my hips. But it's way way better than being 300lbs.
Congratulation on keeping the weight off, that is where most fail !!