Day after training (Extreme Fatigue)

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys

Recently i have noticed that the day after i weight train i feel extreme fatigue. I work a very physical job (10+ miles walking per day). I can't train anywhere near as much as I use to. I just don't have the energy to do it anymore. I train 2-3 times a week. Best i can do. It maintains my physique and still allows progress. Slowly.

I do 2x full bodys a week or if i manage 3 workouts i do 2 x full body and an extra upper body workout.

When i lift. The next day i feel absolutely drained. I mean serious fatigue to the point my job becomes very hard to push through.

Could this be something wrong? Would it be worth getting this checked out?

I'm on TRT btw so i know my test levels are on the upper end of the range.

I can't think how to find a way around this without stop working out.

Any advice?

Thanks

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How is your sleep?
How long are your workouts?
How is your diet?
How old are you?

Recovery is something that is dependent on alot of factors. Knowing more would make it easier for us to figure it out.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in my mid 40s and on TRT and have always been very physical both in and out of the gym, but I found a couple years ago that I have to have proper recovery time. Test levels are not the be all end all when it comes to energy and recovery. While I have the mental energy to go to the gym every day, if I work my legs more than twice a week, I am completely drained and get crabby on off days, which starts to indicate some over training. I also have to mix in other activity such as running and biking and such to break it up. Another thing I figured out is that getting enough macros and hydration is a key driver.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is your sleep?
How long are your workouts?
How is your diet?
How old are you?

Recovery is something that is dependent on alot of factors. Knowing more would make it easier for us to figure it out.
Sleep is around 6-7 hours per night (Could easily do with more but i do sleep 9 hours on days off)

Workouts usually last 60-90 minutes (2-3 times per week. Mostly 2 tbh)

Diet is balanced. Eat around 3500 calories a day. I would say 80% healthy and 20% whatever i crave or enjoy

I'm 35 years old.

I'm around 9-10% body fat. It's VERY hard for me to gain any weight at all at the moment. I'm losing weight very slowly. I've bumped calories to 4000 calories and my weight still wouldn't budge. I feel crazy uncomfy with these calories though.

My job is crazy physical. This has put my workouts on hold compared to how i use to train. I use to be able to workout 5-6 days a week but i physically can't do this anymore. I walk 8-12 miles a day (12 - 19km). 15k - 30k steps including the labour side of work.

If i don't train for a few days i feel awesome in my job. If i train i wake up and my job that day is a serious push. Today i had to sit and just take a quick rest before i could get moving again. I just felt drained.

I've tried various supplements to try and recover quicker (Creatine ' BPC 157' Forskolin' Taurine' Omega 3's etc). I also try supplement for energy also (Tyrosine' Bromantane' 9-mbc' L-carnitine' Caffeine 2-300mg max a day)

Just looking for a solution. I've spent years building my physique and I would be gutted/upset to lose it. I've already lost mass just from so much activity and not training as much. I'm still happy with how I look but i don't want to lose more and i know that if i quit training i would eventually lose the mass. On the flip side I am just so run down feeling after training that it's affecting my life so negatively :(

Any advice?

Thanks

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Excessive physical activity affects the levels and can interfere with nutrient uptake and the hormone levels to fluctuate which can cause fatigue, loss of motivation, and changes to weight.

Just thinking aloud here that it could be worth looking into.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you sure your 9 to 10 percent? If you are really 8 or lower than can cause fatigue. I don’t check body fat percentage but always have abs. Was crazy lean last year and my girl said it was gross. Lol Anyway my energy levels definatley sufferd. I still have veins in lower abs and seratus muscles are cut. But I’m a couple percent higher then whatever I was and it made a diffrence. I like to stay lean year round but whatever I was at at that time wasn’t worth being tired all day.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Couple of thoughts i have after reading your posts:
  • Increase your sleep amount. You said you can easily do it, so do it. Make sure to get a solid circadian rhythm going. Get up and go to bed at the same time every day.
  • If 3500 calories isnt enough then increase it. Yeah eating a lot can be a pain for people, but its what you have to do.
  • Look over your micronutrients. Are you getting enough potassium, magnesium, iodine, sodium etc These can have a big impact on recovery.
  • Hydration, make sure its on point. With such active work days you should be consuming a lot of water and getting extra electrolytes.
  • Supplementation sure, but you are on TRT so there isnt much that can beat a healthy hormone profile
  • You really shouldnt feel like crap after a 60-90 minute workout. So maybe switch to upper/lower split for a while, see if that is better than blasting full body twice a week.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My workouts dropped from 2 a days or 6 days a week to 1 a day and 5 times a week at your age. I'm 39 now and I'm lucky to get 4 workouts per week in, however I find that even with just 3-4 per week I can maintain far easier than I used to think when diet stays cleanish.

took me until I was 39 to learn the art of 'less is more'.
I'd like to see your workout log to get an idea of what a full body workout is to you. Honestly? I doubt it's necessary, personally. If you have 3 days available to you I'd probably have

a squat day + accessories + cardio
a push day + accessories + cardio
a pull day + accessories + cardio

week 1 I'd bench and add overhead press to accessories. week two I'd flip and press for strength but bench in accessories.
I aim for 4-8 accessories. I try to mix it up with a week of 3x10 or 12, and a week of like 3 or 5 sets of 6-8 reps heavier.
For cardio I'm content usually with 20 minutes on incline tread mill, or HIIT. always aiming for 20 minutes or "200 cals" which I know isn't 100% accurate on a treadmill but gives me a baseline.
On pull day I'd rotate heavy deadlift one week, heavy power cleans one week, block pulls one week.
I also like to throw in barbell or db rows on my pressing day as an accessory for symmetry since I lift less often.

anyways, my way might not be the best way but my commute is running 90-120minutes after work to the gym now days and during tiring winter months this less is more approach is giving me better results than when I did too much lifting without recovery and I'm not as destroyed the next day anymore.

Are you sure your 9 to 10 percent? If you are really 8 or lower than can cause fatigue. I don’t check body fat percentage but always have abs. Was crazy lean last year and my girl said it was gross. Lol Anyway my energy levels definatley sufferd. I still have veins in lower abs and seratus muscles are cut. But I’m a couple percent higher then whatever I was and it made a diffrence. I like to stay lean year round but whatever I was at at that time wasn’t worth being tired all day.
Sorta funny isn't it? The best I thought I ever looked my wife says I looked gaunt and malnourished. too slim in the face etc. but my abs were crackalackin and I didn't want to wear a shirt anywhere lol. That said, I do like the way i look WITH a shirt on a lot more when I'm 10-15lbs heavier than that. traps, shoulders, arms pop more.

EllisKurtz

EllisKurtz

Awards
It can also be a consequence of the disease. I had a similar situation after covid. Despite the fact that my body overcame the infection, the fatigue lasted for several months. I was helped at one time by advice from an article about physical education on website with free essay samples. I still sometimes have trouble with some exercises, but compared to pneumonia, it's still good.

Last edited:
botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
54 yrs old here on TRT (100mg test cyp a week) which, although brought up my test levels, never seemed to do much for me. I recently (2 months ago) started using topical DHEA (Apex Alchemy Hyperion and have tried Alpha Gainz DHEA) and have noticed a massive differenence in how I feel and recover. Everything else the same, its night and day. btw, I cancelled taking any stims as well about a year ago which has helped my energy and recovery greatly - I have much more energy without the stims. I like the suggestions above especially to raise the calories - add some calorie dense stuff like peanut butter, cheese etc.. I wish I could, but am the opposite - I am a super easy gainer.