Cutting: Stopping real food carbs and going only with a "Cyclic Dextrin"

halljo

halljo

Awards
If you are cutting for a show, what are your thoughts on cutting out all real food carbs and only taking in a cyclic dextrin as the carb source? Wondering if it will keep up energy and add to fat loss

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I can't see this making too significant of an impact. I think cyclic dextrin postworkout is a good carb source, but it would be expensive to consume 100% of carbs from it throughout the day. Have you read any research that has led you to think this would be beneficial? I'm not too knowledgeable with cyclic dextrin, but I don't know that it would improve energy or fat loss to any extent over eating carbs from whole foods.

I would also be sure that you're eating enough fiber to help with digestion and keep your system running well. I always prefer to eat my carbs, especially when carbs are low on a diet

halljo

halljo

Awards
Based on some of the articles I've read over the last year or so, It digests extremely fast, uptake is very fast... In my mind, if you use prior and after workouts (106 calories a dose, 26-29 grams of carbs), two workouts a day, it reduces calorie intake and still gives a quick carb style uptake... so in theory, it could help reduce fat loss, reduced calories and quick utilization of these carbs (fuel for workouts, keep the muscles full when cutting, and reduced overall signature). Just curious if this could help from hitting "the wall" when deeper into a cut. Might just have to try it and see how it goes.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I would play around with it and see how your body responds. I know in most cases its ideal to have a slower digesting carb before training so you can stay fueled throughout your workout, but try it out and see how you feel and respond.

Are you planning on using a GDA or nutrient partitioner supplement with your higher carb meals? For me they can be very beneficial while cutting on a higher carb day or for use with a pre workout meal. Using a product like Slinmax can help your body to utilize carbs better and deliver a better pump and muscle fullness. Adding in a GDA might also be something worth considering

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Personally for overall nutritional value your better off using real food vs. the dextrin. It is better for your digestive track and I personally feel using just dextrin could cause some intestinal or digestive issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 24
Supplements 27
delsolrob Anabolics 7
Supplements 13
Supplements 1