cutting progress - any estimates on my bf%? (pic)

jimjones87

Awards
hey guys - i bought a bodyfat scale but not sure if its accurate or not.. wanted to get some opinions here

the scale says 12.3% - i'm 31, 5'9 and 142lbs

do you think thats accurate?

Mitch_310

Mitch_310

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I’d say you’re in the 12-13% range just visually estimating. How lean do you want to get

jimjones87

Awards
Thanks man - hoping to get down to 7-8% .. been a while since i've been that lean.

i'm into long distance running so it helps carrying less fat over some of these longer races

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
10-15%. Your abs are full in but your chest looks not the same and your arms look like a real weak point. I do not mean this as a insult just a critique. I would focus on putting on muscle over cutting more without a doubt.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
10-15%. Your abs are full in but your chest looks not the same and your arms look like a real weak point. I do not mean this as a insult just a critique. I would focus on putting on muscle over cutting more without a doubt.
12-13% sounds about right.

I would second this though. You’re pretty damn lean man. Your skeletal frame is already set, you can’t shrink your frame. You can’t target specific areas when trying to lose fat. If you continue to cut, your arms, shoulders, and back will keep getting thinner at the same rate the rest of your body is.
Once you cut down near the point of your frame, the only way to make your frame wider is to add muscle. If you add muscle to your shoulders, back, obliques, arms and legs, you’re going to
1) visually appear leaner
2) lower your % of overall body fat by increasing your weight in muscle
3) burn fat at a higher rate based on the fact that you now have more muscle

If I were you I would take a year to lean bulk. Really get your diet dialed in, play around with carb cycling, eat a lot of protein and train hard, put on 10-20 pounds even if you take a couple pounds of fat with it, and then shred it up. You’re going to look and feel a lot better that way.

jimjones87

Awards
Thanks guys - I really appreciate the feedback. This forum is the best and I appreicate you guys taking the time to weigh in.

I use to be big into weight lifting and these days I'm a semi competitive long distance runner (80-100 miles a week). I think you're right that I should start doing some weight stuff and build up my arms a bit.

My chest used to be pretty big because I was into benching a lot and I honestly haven't benched in years, so it's probably all flab now

Here's what I looked like 3 years ago when I didn't run and did lots of lifting... (i was 165 in this photo vs. 142 now)

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
By all means keep running and doing cardio, just cut it in half or more and prioritize lifting hard, dieting and building solid muscle. That would be my suggestion.
I’m telling you once you get those shoulders and back wider, you’re going to have a great set of abs and actually look leaner at a higher weight because you’ll have a nice V Taper going on and all the skin from the front will be pulled and stretched out and back. I know from experience because I’ve tried what you’re doing before and I wish I had done it the opposite way.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the whole point of op was to judge his bf percentage. I didn’t get the impression he wanted to look more muscular, just because he stated he is doing long distance running. Those guys aren’t big at all. I would say around 10-12.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ya I always assume when ppl are on this forum they want to build muscle. I kinda over looked the long distance running part

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
A little calisthetics would go far with your frame. Pushups, pullups and jumping/sprinting. Maybe some deadlifts/shrugs to hit upper back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 24
jpblann Weight Loss 40
KBD Anabolics 20
Pics 9
Pics 36