Curcumin

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone taking curcumin? I've seen it has a lot of benefits from pain to blood pressure to anxiety. But it's also an MAO-I I've read and a little dangerous. Does anyone have experience with it and is it really an MAO-I?

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
I use curcumin regularly and from my understanding natural MAO-I's are fairly mild and shouldn't result in anything too harmful i.e. serotonin syndrome but it might potentiate stimulants.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone taking curcumin? I've seen it has a lot of benefits from pain to blood pressure to anxiety. But it's also an MAO-I I've read and a little dangerous. Does anyone have experience with it and is it really an MAO-I?
It's anxiety benefits would be attributed to it being an MAO-I, but it was only ever shown to really do that in animal models. I very much doubt it would have a high affinity to either MAO-A or MAO-B in humans in an oral supplement. There haven't been any documented cases. If you're looking for a product, TruCurcumin is a well dosed curcumin product. Just don't combine it with tyramine (note some food is high in tyramine content) and you'll be golden if you're that concerned.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's anxiety benefits would be attributed to it being an MAO-I, but it was only ever shown to really do that in animal models. I very much doubt it would have a high affinity to either MAO-A or MAO-B in humans in an oral supplement. There haven't been any documented cases. If you're looking for a product, TruCurcumin is a well dosed curcumin product. Just don't combine it with tyramine (note some food is high in tyramine content) and you'll be golden if you're that concerned.
Right; I didn't know it was an MAO-I until after I bought it. Dammit. I love cheese too, so like with nattokinase, this one might sit on the shelf forever.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right; I didn't know it was an MAO-I until after I bought it. Dammit. I love cheese too, so like with nattokinase, this one might sit on the shelf forever.

Between you and I, I honestly don't think it is an issue at all and I would take it myself, but as always, it's your body so you do what think is best. Are you just looking for a BP supplement? If so, what have you tried before?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used recently for a few months and noticed no difference. Thought I would see more.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Between you and I, I honestly don't think it is an issue at all and I would take it myself, but as always, it's your body so you do what think is best. Are you just looking for a BP supplement? If so, what have you tried before?
Yes; I'm looking for BP supps. I picked up Arjuna and l-citrulline yesterday. In the past I've tried nitrates (too nervous about this one to dose high enough), olive leaf extract, celery seed extract, Aged garlic extract, theanine, taurine, ashwagandha, ubiquinol, hawthorn, agmatine, relora, and that may be it. Any other suggestions? I'm already prescribed 10mg bisoprolol and my BP is still 140/80 ish.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What have your results been like with the above supplements? You've tried a lot of great options there.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe you should firstly look into changing your BP prescription if your current one isnt controlling your BP?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe you should firstly look into changing your BP prescription if your current one isnt controlling your BP?
Doing that too. My doctor appt is today as a matter of fact.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What have your results been like with the above supplements? You've tried a lot of great options there.
None of them had more than a couple points impact. I'm still only 2 days in to Arjuna and l-citrulline though.

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
If you are about to get your dubscription changed you shouldn't mess that up with the aid of naturals actually.

To be honest only a strong diurheticum is what you haven't tried so far on the natural side.

But at first let your doc change the medication, then look if it still could be necessary, then speak to your doc and only then try the stuff again. Everything else could just mess things up.

Good luck with getting it under control.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you are about to get your dubscription changed you shouldn't mess that up with the aid of naturals actually.

To be honest only a strong diurheticum is what you haven't tried so far on the natural side.

But at first let your doc change the medication, then look if it still could be necessary, then speak to your doc and only then try the stuff again. Everything else could just mess things up.

Good luck with getting it under control.
Thanks. What are some natural diuretics?

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
Dandelion, Juniper and Bibiscus for example. There are tons more though