Curcumin – The Real Holy Grail of the Supplement Industry

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
It's supposed to be a compound with many benefits, but "Holy Grail" is just an extreme overstatement. I have read this so many times... "We've all heard of supplements hyped as the "Holy Grail" of muscle builders, only to be disappointed. [XYZ Supplement] however, has the potential to be the REAL "Holy Grail" of bodybuilding ..."

And it never is. The holy grail of bodybuilding/sports supplements is a minimum side effect, legal product that is as potent as steroids. Still waiting.

A short google search of past "Holy Grails:"

Ecysterone: https://www.elitefitness.com/forum/bodybuilding-supplements/ecdysterone-holy-grail-body-building-supplements-625803.html

Craze: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155906023

Ultima: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113890051

Defcon1: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/platinum-labs/defcon-1.html

etc...

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
It's supposed to be a compound with many benefits, but "Holy Grail" is just an extreme overstatement. I have read this so many times... "We've all heard of supplements hyped as the "Holy Grail" of muscle builders, only to be disappointed. [XYZ Supplement] however, has the potential to be the REAL "Holy Grail" of bodybuilding ..."

And it never is. The holy grail of bodybuilding/sports supplements is a minimum side effect, legal product that is as potent as steroids. Still waiting.
Curcumin only indirectly relates to bodybuilding, calling anything a "holy grail" might be a stretch but the potential health benefits of curcumin make it hard to overlook.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Brother, your new avatar is killing me. You are impressive especially considering I believe you have avoided most hormonal products...Great work.
Thanks man! That's 6 weeks in on a Keto cut. 2400kcal and 68g of Protein, LOL. And I've seriously screwed up twice - big time, ie. 10,000kcal of cake and ice cream probably! Hahaha! I'm extending it from 8 to 12 weeks so the rest of March and April.

I've done a 1 and 4 andro 8 week run in 2014, a 19Nor, 4, and Epi 8 week run in 2015, and an 8 week cut with Ostarine last year (2016). So not too much stuff, you're right.

Since my doc is done messing around with my TRT blood work, I added 11- KT to this current cut on Mar 7th.

Its the basics man - track what you stuff down your pie hole, and be consistent with training properly (programming and periodization).

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have ostheo arthritis in both knees. Tried theracumin with no noticeable relief. For 2 weeks have been on a combo of swansons herbal joint complex: white willow bark, boswellia, tart cherry, cats claw + terminalia chebula + SAMe. Pain has virtually dissipated and mobility is restored to normal. I have experienced the same degree of relief as with Naproxen. Really surprised and pleased. Im looking for alternative supplements so that i dont build a tolerance and can continue to feel the effects
I haven't seen that one from Swanson before. I order my adaptogens and vitamins from Swanson regularly.

As far as a substitute to rotate between this product you like I would go with Flexatril. I have tried tons of joint supps and it works best for me. Genoflex is good too, but it stops working after a bottle so I rotate them (run 3 Flexatril then 1 Genoflex then back to Flexatril).

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man! That's 6 weeks in on a Keto cut. 2400kcal and 68g of Protein, LOL. And I've seriously screwed up twice - big time, ie. 10,000kcal of cake and ice cream probably! Hahaha! I'm extending it from 8 to 12 weeks so the rest of March and April.

I've done a 1 and 4 andro 8 week run in 2014, a 19Nor, 4, and Epi 8 week run in 2015, and an 8 week cut with Ostarine last year (2016). So not too much stuff, you're right.

Since my doc is done messing around with my TRT blood work, I added 11- KT to this current cut on Mar 7th.

Its the basics man - track what you stuff down your pie hole, and be consistent with training properly (programming and periodization).
Your new avatar is way impressive! Great work man!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is anyone concerned that curcumin is a maoi? I know I'm not the only supplement junkie in this thread lol. Just want to make sure there's no interactions with all the stuff we take around here.

pbandy1

Awards
Is anyone concerned that curcumin is a maoi? I know I'm not the only supplement junkie in this thread lol. Just want to make sure there's no interactions with all the stuff we take around here.
Curcumin is not likely to have any significant MAO inhibition effect in humans.

Further evaluation of the neuropharmacological determinants of the antidepressant-like effects of curcumin. 2013

"Although prior work had shown curcumin to function as an inhibitor of the monoamine metabolizing enzyme, monoamine oxidase (MAO), neither MAOA nor MAOB was inhibited by curcumin in the present study."

So even in rats the MAO inhibition is hit or miss, although the above study is a more recent one.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Curcumin is not likely to have any significant MAO inhibition effect in humans.

Further evaluation of the neuropharmacological determinants of the antidepressant-like effects of curcumin. 2013

"Although prior work had shown curcumin to function as an inhibitor of the monoamine metabolizing enzyme, monoamine oxidase (MAO), neither MAOA nor MAOB was inhibited by curcumin in the present study."

So even in rats the MAO inhibition is hit or miss, although the above study is a more recent one.
Good post thanks!

Got a link I would love to read the whole thing?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For what its worth, I've been taking a 95% curcumin extraxt and it has helped a lot with my anxiety. It has also increased libido quite a bit. I feel more assertive yet calm. I don't expect any herbs to rival steroids, but it would be nice to have a 250 point boost through different pathways ie lowering cortisol, estrogen, ect.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
For what its worth, I've been taking a 95% curcumin extraxt and it has helped a lot with my anxiety. It has also increased libido quite a bit. I feel more assertive yet calm. I don't expect any herbs to rival steroids, but it would be nice to have a 250 point boost through different pathways ie lowering cortisol, estrogen, ect.
How long did it take you to notice?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Increased the dosage from 510mg(484mg curcumin) one cap a day, to two caps a day. My stomach has been hurting the past week, so I'm going back down to one cap and hope it does the trick. 2 caps make me feel too tired anyway.

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Only 68 g of protein? Where do you get your fat from?

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
I took 2g of C3 with 2.5mg of Bioperine (from a popular on this board brand ;)) for 60 days. The burning pain in my bad knee disappeared shortly after starting and came back after cessation. At the other end of the femur, though, things worked the opposite way. The glute-end of the hamstrings stopped recovering fully. It was especially noticeable after squat+kettlebell swings sessions (2 per week) where I'd be sore (I never get sore anymore) and feel like I pulled a ham. Warmup squat sets felt like my last, as if hams would tear completely and never heal. Once into the working sets though everything was fine. I typically took product hours after the gym but when I switched to 2 hours pre-workout, the soreness in that area would increase. Everything is back to normal after cessation. No other effects observed. Quite an atypical response :D I'm going to leave inflammation to self-regulate from now on as I had an atypical response to ArA too :D

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Only 68 g of protein? Where do you get your fat from?
Yup - but you need to do Blood Ketone draws to know if Protein Gluconeogenesis is keeping BhB below 0.5 - KetoStix can't tell you that. I can piss out Acetoacetate while sucking on Pixie Sticks :D I used Cream Cheese and Butter as my High Fat/Low Protein sources. All in all, I wasn't too impressed with Keto for a Cut - food volume for kcal max is too low (for me) Ketones didn't curb my hunger. It may be great for a Recomp/Maint diet though - I can see not being ravenous at maint. levels - I actually may try it again for that. For therapeutic reasons I'd do it though - epilepsy, kill some cancer - yup.

And Protein is WAAAAAY overblown - at 68g you'd think I'd look like an Auschwitz resident - nope. Strength either stayed or increased a smidge - all I lost were some reps off the top of the 11-15 range - probably due to glycogen.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Curcumin (as Theracurmin) shows promise as a cognitive-enhancing supplement in healthy adults.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1064748117305110

Highlights
• This is the first long-term (18 months) double-blind, placebo controlled trial of a bioavailable form of curcumin (Theracurmin® containing 90 mg of curcumin twice daily) in non-demented adults.

• We found that daily oral Theracurmin led to significant memory and attention benefits.

• FDDNP-PET scans performed pre- and post-treatment suggested that behavioral and cognitive benefits are associated with decreases in plaque and tangle accumulation in brain regions modulating mood and memory.

• Curcumin's cognitive benefits may stem from its anti-inflammatory and/or anti-amyloid brain effects.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Curcumin is good stuff. I use Millenium Sports Joint Mechanic which has Meriva (curcumin phytosome). There is nice the research ,on Meriva, esp in Europe.

The body has a very difficult time absorbing traditional turmeric and curcumin extracts. Meriva is a potent curcumin phytosome (curcumin bound to phosphatidylcholine) that is vastly more absorbable and effective than standardized curcumin extracts.*

A 2007 study published in the journal, Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, demonstrated Meriva's superior bioavailability compared to ordinary curcumin. Liver levels of curcumin were also higher with Meriva® supplementation. A human study demonstrated 29-times greater bioavailability. In both studies, Meriva® supplementation resulted in higher plasma concentrations of curcumin from a much smaller dose than with ordinary curcumin.*

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Longvida is 65x more bioavailable than curcumin and is the only one the that is proven to crosd the blood brain barrier. Longvida is superior to alll other forms.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Longvida is 65x more bioavailable than curcumin and is the only one the that is proven to crosd the blood brain barrier. Longvida is superior to alll other forms.
Theracurmin > Longvida in regards to anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. We don’t know if theracurmin crosses the blood brain barrier, but given the study I posted, it certainly is possible.

People often chose longvida for the cognitive benefits, but that rationale may no longer hold true given Theracurmin’s demonstrated effects on reducing amyloid and tau accumulation.

Theracurmin is also the priciest, so certainly could be cost prohibitive.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm taking Theracurmin (Natural Factors) for the past week. It is expensive but at 1 pill a day, it lasts 60 days (2 months).

I don't know if it's doing much andI'm not sure how one feels when taking curcumin in general. I have a lot of knee and lower back pain and usually they can get exacerbated when I walk up and down the stairs at work. So far, I've been ok and not feeling that much pain or aches (it's still there but no sharp stabs like I used to frequently get).

To be honest, I'm going to take this product long term and get a blood test done to see if there is any effect. At the moment by cholesterol is high (223), and my LDL is high (147) so I'm hoping I can get it under control with Theracurmin..and diet of course.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Curcumin is good stuff. I use Millenium Sports Joint Mechanic which has Meriva (curcumin phytosome). There is nice the research ,on Meriva, esp in Europe.

The body has a very difficult time absorbing traditional turmeric and curcumin extracts. Meriva is a potent curcumin phytosome (curcumin bound to phosphatidylcholine) that is vastly more absorbable and effective than standardized curcumin extracts.*

A 2007 study published in the journal, Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, demonstrated Meriva's superior bioavailability compared to ordinary curcumin. Liver levels of curcumin were also higher with Meriva® supplementation. A human study demonstrated 29-times greater bioavailability. In both studies, Meriva® supplementation resulted in higher plasma concentrations of curcumin from a much smaller dose than with ordinary curcumin.*
if millennium sports ever has a logging opportunity for joint mechanic give me a tag, please!!!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm taking Theracurmin (Natural Factors) for the past week. It is expensive but at 1 pill a day, it lasts 60 days (2 months).

I don't know if it's doing much andI'm not sure how one feels when taking curcumin in general. I have a lot of knee and lower back pain and usually they can get exacerbated when I walk up and down the stairs at work. So far, I've been ok and not feeling that much pain or aches (it's still there but no sharp stabs like I used to frequently get).

To be honest, I'm going to take this product long term and get a blood test done to see if there is any effect. At the moment by cholesterol is high (223), and my LDL is high (147) so I'm hoping I can get it under control with Theracurmin..and diet of course.
Are you taking the normal (30mg) or double strength (60mg) from them?

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
just ordered some theracumin whats the specific benefits from this?

MySTeek

MySTeek

Awards
  • Established
if millennium sports ever has a logging opportunity for joint mechanic give me a tag, please!!!
I'll definitely keep you in mind!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maypro has a nano version I believe .

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMG_3099.jpg

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good information in here !!

dcoen21

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just got natural factors theracumin are most people taking 30 or 60 mg a day?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Amazing stuff! Especially if you're a rat!
Nah, that's completely inaccurate. It probably has benefits even when used at low levels as a spice in food, let alone when taken as longvida, thercumin etc.

kevtoon2905

Awards
Nah, that's completely inaccurate. It probably has benefits even when used at low levels as a spice in food, let alone when taken as longvida, thercumin etc.
Just thought I would point out that the quotes in the first post of this thread has a lot of "studies in rats". I just get abit dubious when its rat studies.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm a "Gym Rat"

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
@aaronuconn @Resolve10

Have you heard of or tried Integrative Therapeutics Theracurmin HP? It is 600mgs of Theracurmin with 180 mg curcumin per 2 tablets.

Depending on how it's dosed, it's $55 for a 30 or 60 day supply.
Yes, I have used a few bottles in the past. Good stuff, but pricey. I probably have used more Natural Factors brand, though. Reason being, with Therapeutics, each capsule is 90mg. If you want to dose at say 90mg each day (which is probably more common then the 180mg), you have to take it all at once. With Natural Factors, you can spread out the dosing a bit better as they offer 30mg/serving dosages.

Now, is spreading out the dosage necessary/advantageous in the first place? Idk. I’d personally rather have a steady stream of curcuminoids as opposed to one giant bolus. Again, may not matter, just my personal philosophy.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
anyone wanting the very best curcumin product on the market needs to look at Helios by APEX. hands down the best option available.

ndiguy

ndiguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
anyone wanting the very best curcumin product on the market needs to look at Helios by APEX. hands down the best option available.
I have two bottles of Helios being delivered today.. Excited to see what it's all about.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Narrative review from last month. Bolded/underlined below is important:

Effect of curcumin supplementation on exercise-induced muscle damage: a narrative review
Curcumin, a natural polyphenol extracted from turmeric, is a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. In the past few decades, curcumin's ability to impact chronic inflammatory conditions such as metabolic syndrome, arthritis, and cancer has been widely researched, along with growing interest in understanding its role in exercise-induced muscle damage (EIMD). EIMD impacts individuals differently depending on the type (resistance exercise, high-intensity interval training, and running), intensity, and duration of the exercise. Exercise disrupts the muscles' ultrastructure, raises inflammatory cytokine levels, and can cause swelling in the affected limb, a reduction in range of motion (ROM), and a reduction in muscular force-producing capacity. This review focuses on the metabolism, pharmacokinetics of various brands of curcumin supplements, and the effect of curcumin supplementation on EIMD regarding muscle soreness, activity of creatine kinase (CK), and production of inflammatory markers. Curcumin supplementation in the dose range of 90-5000 mg/day can decrease the subjective perception of muscle pain intensity, increase antioxidant capacity, and reduce CK activity, which reduces muscle damage when consumed close to exercise. Consumption of curcumin also improves muscle performance and has an anti-inflammatory effect, downregulating the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, including TNF-α, IL-6, and IL-8. Curcumin may also improve oxidative capacity without hampering training adaptations in untrained and recreationally active individuals. The optimal curcumin dose to ameliorate EIMD is challenging to assess as its effect depends on the curcumin concentration in the supplement and its bioavailability.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All Hale Helios !!!