Critique of new routine

U

Ulfhednar

Awards
So this will be my new routine, i sort of want it to be balanced, by that i mean strength, hypertrophy, and calisthenics.

Monday: Chest and legs
Flat bench- 2x5 and 1x5+
Leg press- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Incline hammer strength- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Push ups and chin ups to faliure

Tuesday: Back and shoulders
Deadlifts- 2x5 and 1x5+
Shoulder hammer strength- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Lat pull down- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Push ups and chin ups

Thursday: Chest and Legs
Front squats- 2x5 and 1x5+
Incline hammer strength- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Leg extensions- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Push ups and chin ups

Friday: Back and shoulders
Clean and press or snatch lift- 2x5 and 1x5+
Lat pull downs or rowing- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Shoulder hammer strength- 1x to failure repeat 2-3 times
Push ups and chin ups

I will change up the assistance exercises and add in abs if im not consumed by time outside the gym. This is just a layout of how my workouts would go.

B

B4Hand

Awards
What rep ranges are you shooting for on your failure sets?

I wouldn't do both push-ups and chin ups every day you workout. I'd move chin ups to back day and push-ups to chest day. You risk burn out with unnecessary volume.

On Thursday I'd select a different shoulder workout. You've already got a machine on Monday. I'd use some bb or db presses.

U

Ulfhednar

Awards
What rep ranges are you shooting for on your failure sets?

I wouldn't do both push-ups and chin ups every day you workout. I'd move chin ups to back day and push-ups to chest day. You risk burn out with unnecessary volume.

On Thursday I'd select a different shoulder workout. You've already got a machine on Monday. I'd use some bb or db presses.
Well the failure sets are just for assistance, probably 20+ reps. Id do the machine because its easier to do rest pause sets, i dont remember what machines my gym has but if they have the lateral raising machine ill do that. Yea i might just stick to one body weight exercise per day.

B

B4Hand

Awards
I didn't realize you were doing rest pause sets on those. I love all out rest pause sets, but I also like a little variety so you don't plateau as fast and get discouraged.

U

Ulfhednar

Awards
I didn't realize you were doing rest pause sets on those. I love all out rest pause sets, but I also like a little variety so you don't plateau as fast and get discouraged.
Yea variety is good, I agree. I'll have to see what machines/exercises i can utilize with rest pause training.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have no issue with nice simple programs - often the best way to go but a couple of areas that might need looking at jump out at me

- you have a couple of quad dominant movements (front squat and extensions) but less hamstring/glute focus (deadlifts and maybe the snatch lift really the only ones). For most people the posterior needs more work that the quads so I’d personally want to see some good mornings, hip thrusts, rdl’s or lying curls etc in there (I get you could use foot position on the leg press to shift the focus but as it’s your only leg movement that day really you need to be going heavy as possible).

- you’ve got limited compound movements so I’d suggest you’ll want some core focused stuff. One of the advantages of back squats, bent over rows, oh presses etc is that they hit all the core muscles as well. You have a few compounds but probably less than most programs so I’d look at adding hollow holds, planks, palloff presses, Any other anti rotation or flexion stuff in just to keep everything coming on in synch.

U

Ulfhednar

Awards
I have no issue with nice simple programs - often the best way to go but a couple of areas that might need looking at jump out at me

- you have a couple of quad dominant movements (front squat and extensions) but less hamstring/glute focus (deadlifts and maybe the snatch lift really the only ones). For most people the posterior needs more work that the quads so I’d personally want to see some good mornings, hip thrusts, rdl’s or lying curls etc in there (I get you could use foot position on the leg press to shift the focus but as it’s your only leg movement that day really you need to be going heavy as possible).

- you’ve got limited compound movements so I’d suggest you’ll want some core focused stuff. One of the advantages of back squats, bent over rows, oh presses etc is that they hit all the core muscles as well. You have a few compounds but probably less than most programs so I’d look at adding hollow holds, planks, palloff presses, Any other anti rotation or flexion stuff in just to keep everything coming on in synch.
Damn i didnt even catch that, ill add leg curls or hyperextentions to my Monday routine for hamstrings. Yea ill be throw in core exercises if i have the time within that day, most likely on my days off. Ill check in those exercises you posted, i havnt heard of them.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Damn i didnt even catch that, ill add leg curls or hyperextentions to my Monday routine for hamstrings. Yea ill be throw in core exercises if i have the time within that day, most likely on my days off. Ill check in those exercises you posted, i havnt heard of them.
If you want a 4 minute sickener of an abs blast try doing a hollow hold for 20s on 10s off repeated for 4 mins (Tabata format).

A hollow hold (also called a dish hold or iron cross) is basically lying on your back like a banana, the small of your back driven into the floor and your legs and shoulders off the floor (think about curling up round your belly button). Don’t let your lower back arch upwards, if you feel it going raising your legs higher and/or bending your knees makes it a touch easier.

Apart from ab roll outs it’s probably my favourite core exercise. I didn’t mention roll outs above but that’s another one you should definitely look at

Good luck bro

U

Ulfhednar

Awards
If you want a 4 minute sickener of an abs blast try doing a hollow hold for 20s on 10s off repeated for 4 mins (Tabata format).

A hollow hold (also called a dish hold or iron cross) is basically lying on your back like a banana, the small of your back driven into the floor and your legs and shoulders off the floor (think about curling up round your belly button). Don’t let your lower back arch upwards, if you feel it going raising your legs higher and/or bending your knees makes it a touch easier.

Apart from ab roll outs it’s probably my favourite core exercise. I didn’t mention roll outs above but that’s another one you should definitely look at

Good luck bro
Thanks! I just started a workout log if you want to follow it. Im not the most consistent nor do i do anything on my off days worth noting but i do post sone of my lifts lol.