canadianbeef
Member
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice with my nutrition.
50 yr old
6 ft 1
220 lb
Work out 6-7 days a week, heavy lifting
Work in construction, lots of walking, lots of lifting (I buy and deliver materials, do demolition, etc)
Started back at the gym roughly a year ago, starting weight was 242lbs. Within 3 months was at around 235. No change in diet but lots of lifting. Cut down on sugar and bread, for to around 230. Was not measuring calories, just rough idea of protein.
The last 3 months have took it more seriously. Measuring everything. My maintenance cal on most calculators is between 2900 and 3200. I've been in a deficit for 3 months.
Daily cals 2500 (on average, can be as low as 2200 or as high as 2700, but always near 2500). Protein is around 250 a day. Haven't measured carbs but it would be low, some sugar in recipes but not much bread, pasta or rice, the odd time in a meal. Oatmeal every morning.
I am now at 219lb. Target roughly is 210.
However! My lifts are maintaining, but I have plateued at some exercises, am feeling tired throughout the day even with adequate rest, and although my waist and body have definitely lost fat, I am not packing on as much muscle as I would like (or as much as I did when I was bigger).
My question is should I be upping the calories closer to maintenance? Am I still able to build muscle while in a deficit as long as I am hitting enough protein? What can I do going forward for more muscle without gaining back fat? Thanks
50 yr old
6 ft 1
220 lb
Work out 6-7 days a week, heavy lifting
Work in construction, lots of walking, lots of lifting (I buy and deliver materials, do demolition, etc)
Started back at the gym roughly a year ago, starting weight was 242lbs. Within 3 months was at around 235. No change in diet but lots of lifting. Cut down on sugar and bread, for to around 230. Was not measuring calories, just rough idea of protein.
The last 3 months have took it more seriously. Measuring everything. My maintenance cal on most calculators is between 2900 and 3200. I've been in a deficit for 3 months.
Daily cals 2500 (on average, can be as low as 2200 or as high as 2700, but always near 2500). Protein is around 250 a day. Haven't measured carbs but it would be low, some sugar in recipes but not much bread, pasta or rice, the odd time in a meal. Oatmeal every morning.
I am now at 219lb. Target roughly is 210.
However! My lifts are maintaining, but I have plateued at some exercises, am feeling tired throughout the day even with adequate rest, and although my waist and body have definitely lost fat, I am not packing on as much muscle as I would like (or as much as I did when I was bigger).
My question is should I be upping the calories closer to maintenance? Am I still able to build muscle while in a deficit as long as I am hitting enough protein? What can I do going forward for more muscle without gaining back fat? Thanks