Critique my bench

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
Right now I have a goal to hit a 4 plate bench I'm currently at 365lbs, I know I'm big enough but as of right now I want to burn fat while getting stronger maybe even get dowm 20lbs. I'm eating clean with a high protein diet. Here is a video of me hitting 315 any advice on form and tweaks I can do are very much appreciated. I'm still new to this as I've been lifting for less than a year and a half and I think it would be badass if I was to hit that goal with less than 2 years of strength training. Thanks guys

https
://youtu
.be/yome3Y4Alg0

Can someone do me a favor and repost it as link thanks

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right now I have a goal to hit a 4 plate bench I'm currently at 365lbs, I know I'm big enough but as of right now I want to burn fat while getting stronger maybe even get dowm 20lbs. I'm eating clean with a high protein diet. Here is a video of me hitting 315 any advice on form and tweaks I can do are very much appreciated. I'm still new to this as I've been lifting for less than a year and a half and I think it would be badass if I was to hit that goal with less than 2 years of strength training. Thanks guys

https://youtu.be/yome3Y4Alg0

Can someone do me a favor and repost it as link thanks
https://youtu.be/yome3Y4Alg0

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
herderdude, sweetlou

I'm not good at judging others bench. If I were to setup this way I don't think I'd have much leg drive or lat activation. You bench more than I, so take that with a grain of salt.

napalm

napalm

Awards
You're pretty strong, but your bench technique needs some work. First, stop moving your feet around. Get them in good position for some leg drive and push through your heels. Maybe widen your feet a little.

Second, you're flat and have absolutely no arch. I'm not gonna get into the arch/no arch debate here but setting up w a slight arch will help keep you tight.

Third, it doesn't look like your upper back is tight at all. Try this: lay in the bench, put your feet up on the end of the bench and arch your back so that you're up on your traps w your legs pushing you onto your traps. That's what your back is supposed to feel like when your setting up. Every f'ing muscle in your body HAS to be tight. If I push on your leg when you're setting up it shouldn't move at all.

Like I said tho, you're pretty strong and I see no problem getting to 4 plates after you tighten up your technique.

Good luck...

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
You're pretty strong, but your bench technique needs some work. First, stop moving your feet around. Get them in good position for some leg drive and push through your heels. Maybe widen your feet a little.

Second, you're flat and have have absolutely no arch. I'm not gonna get into the arch/no arch debate here but setting up w a slight arch will help keep you tight.

Third, it doesn't look like your upper back is tight at all. Try this: lay in the bench, put your feet up on the end of the bench and arch your back so that you're up on your traps w your legs pushing you onto your traps. That's what your back is supposed to feel like when your setting up. Every f'ing muscle in your body HAS to be tight. If I push on your leg when you're setting up it shouldn't move at all.

Like I said tho, you're pretty strong and I see no problem getting to 4 plates after you tighten up your technique.

Good luck...
Thanks man that's what I needed to here. I never noticed I would shift my legs until I had someone record me. I guess I never tried to arch or use legs cause I wanted it to be just a pure chest movement I didn't want to get assistance from other body parts but I guess once the weight starts getting decently heavy (I know some of y'all are probably like heavy ha that's lightweight) I need to forget about that and use proper form. I will be practicing setting up like how you said next time I hit chest and see how it feels. Thanks.

imlee888

Awards
Even if you use an arch and leg drive it hits your chest plenty. But if you don't keep your back tight then you're going to **** up your shoulders