Critique keto meal plan

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok, so it’s time to shed some fat. Plenty of experience with keto but I never really worried about calories in the past. Trying to maximize time and results, so really trying to dial it in. Put together starting macros, can chip away from it as I go. Been eating around 3000cal here lately, so I’m gonna start at 2400. Plan was this:

Upon waking: spinach, 1T MCT oil and wheatgrass in blender
Breakfast a bit later or after workout: 1Hard boiled egg, 2 jimmy dean sausage patties and 1c egg whites(I drink them, quick and easy)
Lunch: 8oz 80/20 beef patty, 1 slice provolone cheese, 1.5c spinach
Afternoon snack: 1oz almonds
Dinner: 8oz 80/20 beef patty, 1 slice provolone, 1.5c spinach
Pm snack: 1oz almonds, 1c egg whites

Totals: 2356 calories
20g carbs, 173g fat, 171g protein

Currently 6’2 225 bf prob at about 20%

As I go and need to trim back the cals, I’d start with removing the cheese, then a serving of almonds, then the MCT oil in the morning.

Thoughts?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Looks pretty solid overall. Some might say that your protein intake is a bit high for keto, but for your body weight I think you will be fine. How long do you plan on doing keto for?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Looks pretty solid overall. Some might say that your protein intake is a bit high for keto, but for your body weight I think you will be fine. How long do you plan on doing keto for?
Until im down around 12% or until fatloss stalls out.

Ive stayed on keto for quite a while before. Takes some work to get in the habit but i love it, personally. My body, brain, all of it just works better in ketosis.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've done keto a lot. It has it's pros and cons. I just love the fullness and pump you get when working out with some carbs in ya.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm looking at your food choices and amounts...it doesnt seem to add it up 2300....not disputing you but......

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm looking at your food choices and amounts...it doesnt seem to add it up 2300....not disputing you but......
Myfitnesspal gave me 2356.

How much do you think it is?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do keto, I advise keeping protein high contrary to others that do keto. I check my ketones, and when I get high protein it does not kick me out of ketosis. My only concern is you have too many meals. I eat max three times a day, and on keto it is recommended to have as few meals as possible, do have as little insulin impact as possible. I recommend consolidating your calories to three or two meals. Trust me, you wont be hungry. You feel satiated while in ketosis.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do keto, I advise keeping protein high contrary to others that do keto. I check my ketones, and when I get high protein it does not kick me out of ketosis. My only concern is you have too many meals. I eat max three times a day, and on keto it is recommended to have as few meals as possible, do have as little insulin impact as possible. I recommend consolidating your calories to three or two meals. Trust me, you wont be hungry. You feel satiated while in ketosis.
Yeah, I gotcha. I’m no newbie to keto at all, I just never actually totaled up calories. Lost the weight I needed to previously then just maintained. Have bigger goals in mind nowadays. So I have no idea how many calories I consumed in keto before, but I definitely remember not being hungry. If anything, I didn’t eat enough and trashed my metabolism, so I’m trying to make sure I don’t do that again. Once I’m fat adjusted I’ll gauge how I’m feeling and either remove or consolidate feedings.

As far as the high protein bit... how high are you talking, percentage wise? And are you able to get into ketosis eating high protein like that, or do you shift after you’ve become fat adjusted?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, I gotcha. I’m no newbie to keto at all, I just never actually totaled up calories. Lost the weight I needed to previously then just maintained. Have bigger goals in mind nowadays. So I have no idea how many calories I consumed in keto before, but I definitely remember not being hungry. If anything, I didn’t eat enough and trashed my metabolism, so I’m trying to make sure I don’t do that again. Once I’m fat adjusted I’ll gauge how I’m feeling and either remove or consolidate feedings.

As far as the high protein bit... how high are you talking, percentage wise? And are you able to get into ketosis eating high protein like that, or do you shift after you’ve become fat adjusted?
I'm not saying cut calories. I'm saying keep calories the way you want it, cut the amount of meals/snacks you have.

The whole scare of gluconeogensis is just that, a scare. I have had 100g of protein in one meal, and tested ketones after my meal, meaning my blood sugar didnt spike, meaning gluconeogensis did not occur, and if it did occur, it was such a non issue, it didnt register. As long as there is a good amount of fat in your meals, your insulin spikes will be low from protein consumption, and it will be a non issue. You can do this before fat adaption.