Unanswered Creating a protocol to fit a busy and fluctuating work schedule

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a little backstory I work patrol for a big city department (you understand the need for privacy in this manner these days) So I’m gonna have to sort of switch gears here. Originally I had 4 10.5 hour days at work with three day weekends. So I was trying at that time to condense the three days of training using Ken “Skip” Hills training protocols from longevity only what I started doing was chest/back, legs, then arms. So on.

However now our work schedule changed. Now it’s 8.5 days 5 days a week with 2 off then 3 off. Unfortunately it’s frequent that you get caught up on a last minute thing so you end up with 10 to 13 hour days or longer so you have just enough time to go home go to sleep and come back. I WAS doing 1 day carb days similar to skips refeeds or CKD. But when you end up with a bad week that you can’t get into the gym at all that week I think a carb refeed isn’t warranted. I’m thinking TKD is a better way for me to keep weight off for me these days at least until I get out of patrol so my schedule gets more consistent.

So so my question at this point is does anyone have any recommendations for a training protocol that’s a bit more flexible for my line of work? I’m thinking of just doing a full body split this way whether it’s 1 or 4 days that week you can get in you can at least get your whole body even if it’s not consistent which sucks. Or possibly might do cutting the splits in half. So instead of back and chest it would be just back and then just chest.

Anyways any feedback would be great. I know none of it is optimum. I can definitely kiss size gains mostly goodby. But if like to just maintain athleticism at this point.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you were doing a ckd, I would say to just do something like carb backloading and have all your carbs post workout. On days you don’t workout, no carbs. That is if that is the approach you want to take and based on your goals. As far as workouts, look into fortitude training. Full body for the first two days of the week, and then a upper abs lower split for the third and forth day. There is also a 3 day variation. But that program gives you a lot of leeway and doesn’t require a ton of time in the gym.

Wagz86

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the feedback. Yup TKD I think is a better way to go. Also I’m playing with a layout similar to fortitude in my head right now. I think that’s a great place to start