Creatine maintenance

01tj

Awards
I get the bulk micronized creatine off ebay and take 3~5 grams 4 days a week. I read on here a while back that you shouldn't take it every day one loaded for better uptake but I can't seem to find the article using the search function. Is this true or did I just imagine it? I know when I started taking creatine a long, long time ago it seemed like I would always put on about 10 pounds once loaded. Water weight or not I would say it was in my system and taking it every day I kept the weight on. I took about 5 grams a day for a month and have been taking it about 4 days a week since and it doesn't seem like I'm holding on to the weight.

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't worry about the loading phase. Take 3-5 grams on your lifting days.

Holding on to weight will all depend on your diet. In order to maintain muscle gain you have to keep eating. Creatine may make you hold a few lbs of water depending on your water intake and how your body processes creatine.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Creatine is super cheap, I personally wouldn’t be buying it off eBay. SNS has creatine mono and hcl for really reasonable prices

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I took about 5 grams a day for a month and have been taking it about 4 days a week since and it doesn't seem like I'm holding on to the weight.
It's possible to experience some slight weight fluctuation with creatine, but nothing significant like 10 pounds. I would suggest taking creatine every day, and not just 4 days per week. Creatine levels take time to build up in your system, which is why the theory of "loading" started. Loading has been shown to no longer be needed, but being consistent with creatine intake can help

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree with the above. No need to load. But I would recommend taking every day so your system can build up its creative levels.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with the above. No need to load. But I would recommend taking every day so your system can build up its creative levels.
This. And if you plan on taking it every day, if you forget here and there it’s all good! Makes life a little easier.

01tj

Awards
This. And if you plan on taking it every day, if you forget here and there it’s all good! Makes life a little easier.
That does sound like the safe bet, I was just thinking I read something about it hurting the absorption by taking it every day. I'm sure I read that but just can't seem to find it

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That does sound like the safe bet, I was just thinking I read something about it hurting the absorption by taking it every day. I'm sure I read that but just can't seem to find it
Nope. That wouldn’t make sense really. Saturation is most easily achieved and maintained by taking it daily. In fact, taking it daily at moderate doses would likely be superior to taking higher doses only a few times a week, and also be less likely to upset your stomach. Creatine is naturally in meats, and people eat those daily. Pretty much every study uses it daily too.