Corticosteroids (prednisone) and anabolics

• Thread starter Ecstasydeprivation
  • Start date

Ecstasydeprivation

Awards
Anyone have any insight they could share about the interactions between the two? To be more specific, I suffer from an autoimmune disease (ulcerative colitis) and am wondering what the possible effects could be from using testosterone, NPP, Tren, etc. while taking prednisone.

Gracias.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Anyone have any insight they could share about the interactions between the two? To be more specific, I suffer from an autoimmune disease (ulcerative colitis) and am wondering what the possible effects could be from using testosterone, NPP, Tren, etc. while taking prednisone.

Gracias.
I would consult a doctor on this as it can have everything to do with how each effects you.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
First up I absolutely agree with chef, consult a doctor. Prednisone is no joke medication and you need to be really careful.

I’m absolutely not a doctor but a couple of potential issues strike me

- prednisone works by suppressing the immune system. Supra-physiological doses of anabolic steroids place the body under significant stress and whilst it isn’t as easy as saying all aas weaken the immune system in many cases aas use can do so (many of us get a cold 3-4 weeks into a cycle but never any other time for example)

- prednisone reduces inflammation, muscle building occurs via an inflammation pathway. I’m putting two and two together but I could see a conflict there.

I’d be really careful to be honest bro

Ecstasydeprivation

Awards
First up I absolutely agree with chef, consult a doctor. Prednisone is no joke medication and you need to be really careful.

I’m absolutely not a doctor but a couple of potential issues strike me

- prednisone works by suppressing the immune system. Supra-physiological doses of anabolic steroids place the body under significant stress and whilst it isn’t as easy as saying all aas weaken the immune system in many cases aas use can do so (many of us get a cold 3-4 weeks into a cycle but never any other time for example)

- prednisone reduces inflammation, muscle building occurs via an inflammation pathway. I’m putting two and two together but I could see a conflict there.

I’d be really careful to be honest bro
All well-said, some good insight. Thx.

Anyone have first-hand experience? Speculation is appreciated, but there has to be someone who's been on cycle and forced to use prednisone, or hell, even just on TRT.

RIPDanDuchaine

RIPDanDuchaine

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Prednisone is a glucocorticosteroid, which is the polar opposite of an anabolic steroids. Glucocorticosteroid decrease muscle tissue through their catabolic nature, while AAS increase muscle mass through retention of nitrogen and other factors.

I had to take prednisone when I was getting prepared for my allergy shots and it was absolutely a miserable experience for me. Prednisone bloats you up, makes you retain a ton of water, and is generally not recommended for long term use unless you absolutely need it.

I'd recommend giving a read to the Wikipedia and rxlist clinical pharmacology on Prednisone. If it's something you have to take, then I'd go with your doctors advice and take it. Although I think some testosterone on the side would help prevent it's more catabolic effects, it could inflame your UC (just a theory), so again, check with a doctor - preferably an endocrinologist & your gastroenterologist.

But, I feel you on the UC. I have GERD (acid reflux) and have to take PPIs to help manage the pain and reflux. I've had stomach pains my whole life and suspect I might have some other GI issue going on.

But, also, here is a great article from Life Extension going over the conventional medical treatments for UC and the alternative medicines you can try to help control your UC. Their articles are exceptionally well written and include all the sources. Print it out and give it a read.