Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my mom passed down the tradition of having corned beef and cabbage for new years day to me--- my wife and i passed this down to our kids-we just got back from having corned beef and cabbage at our daughters house with our kids and grandkids, we feel that keeping traditions alive are important and are very happy our kids are carrying this on...

what traditions do you guys have, not only for NYD but throughout the year?

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Last edited:
TinyNutzzz

TinyNutzzz

Awards
Are you Irish??? I am half and its bern since long before I was born in 77 that we eat Cbnc on St Patty's,Thanksgiving,and New Years Day. But it's pretty F#$^ Amazing so I'm completely cool with it

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Are you Irish??? I am half and its bern since long before I was born in 77 that we eat Cbnc on St Patty's,Thanksgiving,and New Years Day. But it's pretty F#$^ Amazing so I'm completely cool with it
i'm german...don't really look at it as cultural thing more as just a tradition that has been passed down...now that you mention it i see where CB&C would be a irish thing--nice to talk with you and share a thought. :)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
btw--my mom used to put dimes in the CB&C before she sat it on the table--finding a dime was good luck+ back when i was young you could buy a mars bar or hershey bar for a dime...i was born in 58....those original mars bars were way better than the later ones--MCGA--make candy great again!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
speaking of candy...anyone old enough to remember the pearson's bun candy bars-they were round and had nuts around the outside covered in chocolate--wow, think they might be the best candy of all time, imo.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My mother is a red haired Irish woman from Brooklyn NY. We ate corned beef and cabbage all the time especially on st patty day.

I love to cook especially recipes my mother has taught me. My wife hates the smell of the cabbage so I haven't enjoyed it in at least twenty years:(
the **** I have given up for this woman...

I remember my high school friends saying this mofo is so big because his mother is always cooking big meals everyday. Friends always showed up

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My mother is a red haired Irish woman from Brooklyn NY. We ate corned beef and cabbage all the time especially on st patty day.

I love to cook especially recipes my mother has taught me. My wife hates the smell of the cabbage so I haven't enjoyed it in at least twenty years:(

I remember my high school friends saying this mofo is so big because his mother is always cooking big meals everyday. Friends always showed up
your mom sounds like a great woman.... :)

TinyNutzzz

TinyNutzzz

Awards

I grew up with my Grandmother and she was the SAME Exact Way. No Meal was small meal or a quick meal and guests were always encouraged.. Also if you were offered food you better of took the food and ate it or it was a sign of disrespect and they werent allowed at our home again hahaha

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I grew up with my Grandmother and she was the SAME Exact Way. No Meal was small meal or a quick meal and guests were always encouraged.. Also if you were offered food you better of took the food and ate it or it was a sign of disrespect and they werent allowed at our home again hahaha
sounds like a great tradition---do you follow this tradition in your house today?

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
My maternal grandparents are both Irish, we would have to have boiled pork ribs, cabbage and potatos everytime they visited or we visited theirs, never had it again in my adult life

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
My maternal grandparents are both Irish, we would have to have boiled pork ribs, cabbage and potatos everytime they visited or we visited theirs, never had it again in my adult life
When i went to Ireland with a friend his family could not do enough for us, my nana was the same, hospitality is very important and guests must be made welcome, its a part of Irish culture of I've held on to myself

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
to bad you have not kept this tradition alive--at least for certain holidays-eh?

i kept alive many but admittedly not all of the traditions my mother passed down to me and my kids are now passing them down to their kids---but it seems with each generation more traditions get lost---unfortunately this latest generation seems to hate the traditions they grew up with-to the detriment of us all, imo.

TinyNutzzz

TinyNutzzz

Awards
sounds like a great tradition---do you follow this tradition in your house today?
I carry on the tradition as well. Weve added a day or 2 of our own but who's to say they nvr did either lol

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
to bad you have not kept this tradition alive--at least for certain holidays-eh?

i kept alive many but admittedly not all of the traditions my mother passed down to me and my kids are now passing them down to their kids---but it seems with each generation more traditions get lost---unfortunately this latest generation seems to hate the traditions they grew up with-to the detriment of us all, imo.
I just never liked it, i need flavour, spice, garlic, chilli, curry, hella cheesy pizza etc.This thread actually has me thinking i should make some old school ribs n cabbage for my mum, it'd be a blast from the past for her

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

Yh i know what you mean, i may not be one for tradition myself but i don't like this mindset people have where they think everything traditional is bad and has to be done away with, some things became the norm for a good reason and contribute to a functional, decent society

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yh i know what you mean, i may not be one for tradition myself but i don't like this mindset people have where they think everything traditional is bad and has to be done away with, some things became the norm for a good reason and contribute to a functional, decent society
i can think of a time when the younger generation were very big on being anti-judgemental-i guess they have abandoned that tradition also-eh?
either that or they have become very judgemental on what they are judgemental about, lol. :)

Last edited:
Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
i can think of a time when the younger generation were very big on being anti-judgemental-i guess they have abandoned that tradition also-eh?
either that or they have become very judgemental on what they are judgemental about, lol. :)
I think it's all about collecting victim points and sticking up for anyone with perceived "minority" status whilst simultaneously attacking perceived "priviliged" groups whether they've done anything or not. The worst of this young generation are all virtue signallers who say one thing but do another, they're basically politicians . I say the worst because it's only the loudest that you hear, the rest are as normal as any other generation, i hope

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think it's all about collecting victim points and sticking up for anyone with perceived "minority" status whilst simultaneously attacking perceived "priviliged" groups whether they've done anything or not. The worst of this young generation are all virtue signallers who say one thing but do another, they're basically politicians . I say the worst because it's only the loudest that you hear, the rest are as normal as any other generation, i hope
lol--look at who is complaining about 'WHITE PRIVILEGE' rich white kids who have reaped the benefits of wealth their entire life--they blame all white people for them having such a easy life.

i think they follow what bernie sanders said.."white people don't know what it's like to be poor'.

i grew up poor and bernie and all those like him are full of shyt...having grown up in a predominately black neighborhood i can state for a fact-the way i was treated had more to do with being poor than the color of my skin--i learned early on that the only color that really mattered is GREEN....

TinyNutzzz

TinyNutzzz

Awards
lol--look at who is complaining about 'WHITE PRIVILEGE' rich white kids who have reaped the benefits of wealth their entire life--they blame all white people for them having such a easy life.

i think they follow what bernie sanders said.."white people don't know what it's like to be poor'.

i grew up poor and bernie and all those like him are full of shyt...having grown up in a predominately black neighborhood i can state for a fact-the way i was treated had more to do with being poor than the color of my skin--i learned early on that the only color that really mattered is GREEN....
Did you used to go by the name BigT or do we know eachother Brother. I'm drawing a blank here but GD that name seems like one I used to shoot the shyte with!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did you used to go by the name BigT or do we know eachother Brother. I'm drawing a blank here but GD that name seems like one I used to shoot the shyte with!!!
indy...i grew up less than 2 blocks from the old brick city on raymond street-southside....the cops knew all of us and didn't treat us whites any different than blacks the only color they saw was poor...i learned early on that the only color that truly matters is GREEN and the more GREEN you have the better you are treated...those stupid idiot rich kids who feel guilty about being rich and white should just stfu and be grateful they didn't grow up poor.

i will bet you every penny i own that obama's children grew up with much more privilege than i had.

btw-i was given the nickname bigt back in 8th grade because so many of us had the same name, i guess it just stuck...when i joined this forum bigt was already taken so i went with thebigt.

Last edited: