Construction/Trades Workers

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey guys, I am working on a research study with my university. We are handing out studies to gauge the perceptions of safety within your company and just safety overall. I know there are several guys on here who work in the trades, so figured I may ask and see if anyone would be interested in filling one out, or handing them out to their crew.

It does not ask for any identifiable information (name, company, location, etc.). The idea is to see how the workers view safety in order to better safety trainings and programs for the future.

If anyone would be willing to help, that would be great. It will require you to print it off and scan it back in, so I would have to email you the pdf. Individuals are great, if you are a foreman or something and could get an entire crew to fill one out, I may see what I could do in return for your help. Input from all trades would be better, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, iron workers.

If you don't want to fill one out, I would still really like to hear your opinions on the safety culture in your company, what you like and dislike about certain safety aspects and things like that.

For reference, I am also a Safety Manager for a large General Contractor so I truly do like to hear the inputs from everyone.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think a lot of the OSHA safety rules/regulations are more of a hindrance to production and sometimes safety. There's some that are just absolutely stupid and you can tell that whoever made it up has never actually done that type of work. It's like engineers designing something that they know nothing about. I believe in being safe but there are times when the rules are the same as wrapping yourself in bubble wrap so that you won't get hurt. Problem is, the bubble wrap suffocates you and you die.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think a lot of the OSHA safety rules/regulations are more of a hindrance to production and sometimes safety. There's some that are just absolutely stupid and you can tell that whoever made it up has never actually done that type of work. It's like engineers designing something that they know nothing about. I believe in being safe but there are times when the rules are the same as wrapping yourself in bubble wrap so that you won't get hurt. Problem is, the bubble wrap suffocates you and you die.
I completely agree. I fought and fought about being tied off to scissor/boom lifts because it makes absolutely no sense. Tie off to a beam or joist, sure. But if the scissor lift runs off the top floor, you're tied to it.

117codyawebb

117codyawebb

Awards
  • Established
I was a former construction worker up until a few weeks ago.

117codyawebb

117codyawebb

Awards
  • Established
Former foreman and construction worker untill a few weeks ago. Put my two weeks in and got a different job so I could spend more time with my family

franks009

Awards
  • Established
I'm a union laborer and I been through all that tieing off on booms n scissor lift stuff. Honestly most of the cages on them are at least up to your hips if not higher so the only way u could fall out is if your standing on the cage. Most rules are in place because there have been experiences in which people got injured or died. Some saftey precautions take time but I'm all for it getting paid by the hour on union rate in Western mass lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm a union laborer and I been through all that tieing off on booms n scissor lift stuff. Honestly most of the cages on them are at least up to your hips if not higher so the only way u could fall out is if your standing on the cage. Most rules are in place because there have been experiences in which people got injured or died. Some saftey precautions take time but I'm all for it getting paid by the hour on union rate in Western mass lol
Yes, with lifts my concern is driving them off a ledge or them becoming unstable somehow, not the worker falling out of the basket on level ground while stationary. I prefer them to tie off to the lift while they are getting to where they need, then go up higher and tie to a joist.

I know everyone hates safety rules, but they are there and not going anywhere (OSHA not company specific), so best follow them. I'd rather take a few more minutes than us and the sub get hit with a $5,000 fine lol