Considering changing up my traing for a while from lifting/cardio to possibly somethi

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
I figure this could greatly help out my overall fitness goals. I'm just wondering what type of conditioning I might need to work on prior to joining a class in order to be physically ready to get the most out of the classes. Or should I just go in and power through it?
Any ideas, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
ha got cut off I guess. well as I'm still heavier than I'd like to be. I figured starting with something like a basic boot camp, then possibly moving on towards boxing, kick-boxing, maybe karate, to build endurance and get used to the higher intensity and basic martial art skills, then maybe krav maga, and if I really get into it, possibly mma training. I'm not a violent person, I just think the training would really lean and tone me out, and possibly boost my confidence. as well as being able to better defend myself if absolutely necessary.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
My regimen over the past year and a half has been 4 days a week about 2 hours each day, half weight training, half cardio. my diet has been pretty on point.
I am a fast gainer so I pretty much tend to stay in cut or recomp mode. As well as staying in a caloric deficit.
Over the holidays I maintained a smaller deficit on avg each week while keeping macros in line. But I plan to increase the deficit for shredding season. I don't mind losing some muscle mass if I can lean out and lose the excess body fat.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ha got cut off I guess. well as I'm still heavier than I'd like to be. I figured starting with something like a basic boot camp, then possibly moving on towards boxing, kick-boxing, maybe karate, to build endurance and get used to the higher intensity and basic martial art skills, then maybe krav maga, and if I really get into it, possibly mma training. I'm not a violent person, I just think the training would really lean and tone me out, and possibly boost my confidence. as well as being able to better defend myself if absolutely necessary.
I've trained muay thai and krav maga for the last 6-7 years and will say that there isn't much you need to switch up to get ready to train, just get in and start training. They are both very intense cardio wise, more so in an HIIT fashion as opposed to a sustained cardio like boxing. You'll warm up with sprints, kettlebells, push ups, shoulder taps, etc.. and the focus will be very little to no break between. The goal is to get cardio level up and be able to last in a real altercation if needed.

I've been weight training for 25 years and competing in various events and activities. Krav and muay thai have me in the best shape I've ever been in and I still lift heavy 4 days a week. I'd recommend keeping resistance training involved.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
I've trained muay thai and krav maga for the last 6-7 years and will say that there isn't much you need to switch up to get ready to train, just get in and start training. They are both very intense cardio wise, more so in an HIIT fashion as opposed to a sustained cardio like boxing. You'll warm up with sprints, kettlebells, push ups, shoulder taps, etc.. and the focus will be very little to no break between. The goal is to get cardio level up and be able to last in a real altercation if needed.

I've been weight training for 25 years and competing in various events and activities. Krav and muay thai have me in the best shape I've ever been in and I still lift heavy 4 days a week. I'd recommend keeping resistance training involved.
Thanks, I actually signed up for a krav maga class a few years back, when I weighed 310lb, at 5'10. Needless to say , I was in way over my head and just couldn't keep up. I am in much better shape currently, I just dont want to be embarrassed like that again.
And yes, it would be a couple classes a week in addition to strength training and liss as well.
I understand I will have to push myself harder than ever to get the results I'm looking for.
I understand the importance of progressive overload and variation in my routine to improve my results, I can just tell I need a more intense addition to my workload and having others to help push me out of my comfort zone and hold me accountable to really further my progress and enhance my results.
I have never been a strong runner and this lack of such a fundamental ability, along with my current lack of body weight move strength concerns me while considering this change of pace.I feel I will definitely need to focus on these aspects a lot during this transition.
I was working with a personal trainer for a while, who taught e a lot in a very short amount of time. And man, I left his gym many days on the verge of losing my lunch. But he was very knowledgeable and his sessions were always challenging and he seemed to have endless combinations of interval and compound exercises to keep my body guessing with moves I could never do at my normal gym.
I'm really leaning towards going back, at least for a little while to have him analyze my training to date, give me constructive criticism, and pretty much whip me back into the animal I was when I left before moving on to the other classes.
As massochist as that sounds, I do train hard, but I no longer get as sore, if at all from my regimen. So its definitely time to step things up.
I dont mind if dont get to mma training, but I would enjoy trying boxing, kick boxing, and giving krav another shot. And with the class trials available on certain "coupon" websites, I can get a taste of all of them before deciding which one I feel works the best for me.
I definitely agree with going with something more HIIT focused. And I would rather learn some of the other styles besides just boxing, even though it is definitely a good way to get in shape.
Question kisaj , I know you said you've been working for 6-7 years on krav and muay thai, plus the long history of lifting, competing, etc. But did you have any martial arts experience prior, and if you dont mind me asking, how old were you when you began the krav/muay?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Question kisaj , I know you said you've been working for 6-7 years on krav and muay thai, plus the long history of lifting, competing, etc. But did you have any martial arts experience prior, and if you dont mind me asking, how old were you when you began the krav/muay?
I was in tae kwon do when I was young, up to blue belt and started boxing when I was 17 and did that on and off until about 25. So I have that foundation. Then started training BJJ and muay thai at 37 and dropped the BJJ after a year or so because I couldn't find a good gym that wasn't filled with "bros" trying to crank ankles and knees whenever they could. Picked up krav maga in interest of learning a good self defense and couldn't be happier. I LOVE krav maga and the no frills ass kicking work outs. I'm 44 now.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
I was in tae kwon do when I was young, up to blue belt and started boxing when I was 17 and did that on and off until about 25. So I have that foundation. Then started training BJJ and muay thai at 37 and dropped the BJJ after a year or so because I couldn't find a good gym that wasn't filled with "bros" trying to crank ankles and knees whenever they could. Picked up krav maga in interest of learning a good self defense and couldn't be happier. I LOVE krav maga and the no frills ass kicking work outs. I'm 44 now.
thanks man. I'm sure that foundation helps. but I'm 34, so I guess I should be good, you know, dont wanna break a hip. lol. but definitely sounds like I can just go for it. Any recommendations for training/classes. like did you use a big named comany? or was it more local? I do like the idea of muay thai, but figured kickboxing would help me learn the fundamentals then I could step up. Or are they too different?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I researched all my local places and did tryouts. There are many more crappy gyms out there than good ones, so it's important to find a good fit.

Kickboxing is great, the primary difference is that in muay thai there is more focus on knees, elbows, and clinches. But the fitness level is on par and it still involves striking, which is good. I'd say to make sure you find a place that involves sparring- which you may have a hard time doing with kickboxing. That tends to be a lot of bag work, which is fine, but not practical in any sense for self protection. You need to know what it's like to hit and be hit. That will test your cardio levels when you have an adrenaline spike and dump. Lol.

In the end, anything you do will be better than nothing. Research and find a good place, be honest with the instructor and yourself about your fitness level and ability, leave the ego at the door, go in and start making a better you. Trust me 100% that if you stick with it, in 6-8 weeks you will be amazed at how good you feel and the transformation occurring.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
I researched all my local places and did tryouts. There are many more crappy gyms out there than good ones, so it's important to find a good fit.

Kickboxing is great, the primary difference is that in muay thai there is more focus on knees, elbows, and clinches. But the fitness level is on par and it still involves striking, which is good. I'd say to make sure you find a place that involves sparring- which you may have a hard time doing with kickboxing. That tends to be a lot of bag work, which is fine, but not practical in any sense for self protection. You need to know what it's like to hit and be hit. That will test your cardio levels when you have an adrenaline spike and dump. Lol.

In the end, anything you do will be better than nothing. Research and find a good place, be honest with the instructor and yourself about your fitness level and ability, leave the ego at the door, go in and start making a better you. Trust me 100% that if you stick with it, in 6-8 weeks you will be amazed at how good you feel and the transformation occurring.
Hey I really appreciate the feedback. You've definitely helped me out a lot. Thanks so much for sharing your time and knowledge. You've definitely inspired me to commit to this. And I think it will be a good way to mix things up and keep fitness interesting. And I wont neglect my regular training fundamentals to stay strong and keep improving. Plus I could use a win to boost my confidence as it's been a rough few years.
-KC

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
So I decided to join a boot camp class. I purchased a groupon for Unlimited 5 weeks of boot camp training for about $70.
It has definitely been a very needed change of pace for me. Definitely different than my history of weight lifting/LISS cardio routine.
I've gone M-F for 2.5 weeks now. Lots of Hiit/Tabata training for 30 minutes a day. with a new set of stations to rotate through every day.
They have a pretty advance body scanning system that Takes 3d scans of your body, measurements of size, balance, and body composition.
I have a lot of work to do still, but the today they scanned me for the second time. While I definitely have noticed more energy and general feeling of welness, these scans have shown me how well this change has affected me even though it is difficult to see in a mirror.
This picture compares my body composition from the day I started 2.5 weeks ago, and today.
Just thought I'd share it with anyone else considering switching things up.
The scan images still look horrible, and measurements havent changed too much, but my composition has greatly improved.
20190213_104402.jpeg

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well your posture has certainly improved! But, seriously- in two weeks they are showing that level of improvement in BF%, lean and fat mass?

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
Well your posture has certainly improved! But, seriously- in two weeks they are showing that level of improvement in BF%, lean and fat mass?
I've also really dialed in my diet macros. Plus have some help from radiate and true shred.
I can really tell a difference physically, the pictures seem almost distorted. But I've !reduced my carb intake by 10-15% of my total daily calorie consumption and increased my protein by the same.
It does seem drastic but im using so many more muscles than I did before and while it may not be perfectly accurate, it's still very inspiring. My clothes fit better, my muscles appear much more sculpted, and overall I look a lot leaner, in person. So it appears to have turned out as more of a recomp than a cut/weight loss effort.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
On my 5th and last week of my boot camp groupon. While my weight has only dropped a couple lbs., my fat mass has greatly decreased and my lean mass has increased substantially.
My ultimate goal here was to break through a cutting plateau, however I am very pleased with the overall results. I believe the experience has made me stronger overall. The change in my composition is undeniable. While I still have a good 40lbs of fat to work off, I believe the lean muscle mass I have built should help me burn more fat when I switch back to strength training at the gym.
The complex exercises incorporated all of my muscle groups and I will be making some changes to my previous routine to include more compound excercises each day.
I have learned a lot from the experience. So many hiit excercises and interval methods. I feel my training knowledge has been vastly expanded.
I would definitely suggest the experience to anyone who is in a similar position or anyone wanting to change up their routine to keep things interesting.